Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > cleaning monitor screen

cleaning monitor screen

Geopelia

Is there any way to clean the monitor screen of a flat computer monitor?
Philips model ID 190B8CB175

There are very small white spots on the outside of the screen. The letters
and the cursor are underneath them. It looks as though something has
splashed small spots on it. They only show when the sun shines on it. They
look black or grey in shadow.

When the computer man brought the flat screen monitor he warned me not to
touch the screen.

Hubby is all for giving it a wash! No way.

Geopelia

Frank Williams

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 18:37:37 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Is there any way to clean the monitor screen of a flat computer monitor?
>Philips model ID 190B8CB175
>
>There are very small white spots on the outside of the screen. The letters
>and the cursor are underneath them. It looks as though something has
>splashed small spots on it. They only show when the sun shines on it. They
>look black or grey in shadow.
>
>When the computer man brought the flat screen monitor he warned me not to
>touch the screen.
>
>Hubby is all for giving it a wash! No way.
>
>Geopelia

Use a 2" good quality Synthetic brush to remove any dirt or sand first
then get one of those Gel with a cloth cleaning kits, they are not
cheep..

Geopelia

Thank you, I'll try the cloth.
I'm afraid of putting pressure on the screen, not being used to flat ones.

Geopelia

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
> Thank you, I'll try the cloth.
> I'm afraid of putting pressure on the screen, not being used to flat
> ones.

Hi Geo,

I find that the softest of those new-fangled 'micro-fibre' (MF) cloths that
you can find to be best for cleaning LCD screens[*]. Sometimes an addition
of ~5 - 10% white vinegar to the bit of water that you moisten the cloth /
spritz screen[**] with can help (then wiping any residue off with the same
rinsed and wrung-out MF cloth).
[*] Not all micro-fibre cloths are created equally. Some are actually quite
coarse and I wouldn't wipe my....... car with them. However, there are some
beautiful, soft and supple ones to be had if you look around enough.
Surprisingly my best and favourite came from a "$2 Shop". There is an
excellent (but too small) one in with my spectacles.

[**] If you take the 'spritz the screen' option be *VERY* careful that the
liquid doesn't run down the screen and behind the bottom bezel. There be
dragons! Hissy, spitty, sparky ones. I only spritz the screen in the case of
heavy [fly / sputum] soiling, and am very careful. Lying the monitor on it's
back can be useful sometimes.

If you're a little more technical-minded a solution of pure-ish water and
isopropanol / isopropyl alcohol can be useful in cases where there's 'skin
oils' on the screen and the white vinegar solution doesn't move it. I go up
to as high as 50% isoprop but wouldn't recommend that high a concentration
to a non-techie type. Maybe 30%?

I even have a spritzer that has a mix of water / isoprop / white vinegar
(acetic acid) for really grubby screens. I always use a spritzer / spray
bottle and, depending on the case, either spray the cloth of the screen
directly. I would suggest spraying the cloth to start with, and whenever
possible as, no matter how careful you are, water and electronics don't mix
(or if they do it's usually with a flash/bang).

Best of luck Geo, and I hope you and your beau had a good Xmas.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Geopelia

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2011-12-26, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
>>> Thank you, I'll try the cloth.
>>> I'm afraid of putting pressure on the screen, not being used to flat
>>> ones.

>> Hi Geo,
>>
>> I find that the softest of those new-fangled 'micro-fibre' (MF) cloths
>> that
>> you can find to be best for cleaning LCD screens[*]. Sometimes an
>> addition
>> of ~5 - 10% white vinegar to the bit of water that you moisten the cloth
>> /
>> spritz screen[**] with can help (then wiping any residue off with the
>> same
>> rinsed and wrung-out MF cloth).

> Those cloths are amazing. Well they do a great job. Clean ones glasses
> just
> fine and then you throw them in the wash.
>
> They do grab the dirt off hard surfaces. No moisture required, although
> allowed.
>
> To think that the gecko uses many micro fibres on its feet to climb up a
> sheet of glass.

Would that be a Chux cloth?

I haven't had a gecko climbing the computer, but a big stick insect was
climbing the TV screen a while ago.

Frank Williams

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 00:41:51 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Hi Geo,
>>>
>>> I find that the softest of those new-fangled 'micro-fibre' (MF) cloths
>>> that
>>> you can find to be best for cleaning LCD screens[*]. Sometimes an
>>> addition
>>> of ~5 - 10% white vinegar to the bit of water that you moisten the cloth
>>> /
>>> spritz screen[**] with can help (then wiping any residue off with the
>>> same
>>> rinsed and wrung-out MF cloth).

>> Those cloths are amazing. Well they do a great job. Clean ones glasses
>> just
>> fine and then you throw them in the wash.
>>
>> They do grab the dirt off hard surfaces. No moisture required, although
>> allowed.
>>
>> To think that the gecko uses many micro fibres on its feet to climb up a
>> sheet of glass.

>Would that be a Chux cloth?

A micro fibres in NOT A CHUX CLOTH DO NOT USE ONE ALL.

Use a proper LCD/TV cleaning kit

>I haven't had a gecko climbing the computer, but a big stick insect was
>climbing the TV screen a while ago.

Enkidu

On 27/12/11 00:41, Geopelia wrote:
> "Gordon"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Hi Geo,
>>>
>>> I find that the softest of those new-fangled 'micro-fibre' (MF) cloths
>>> that
>>> you can find to be best for cleaning LCD screens[*]. Sometimes an
>>> addition
>>> of ~5 - 10% white vinegar to the bit of water that you moisten the cloth
>>> /
>>> spritz screen[**] with can help (then wiping any residue off with the
>>> same
>>> rinsed and wrung-out MF cloth).

>> Those cloths are amazing. Well they do a great job. Clean ones glasses
>> just
>> fine and then you throw them in the wash.
>>
>> They do grab the dirt off hard surfaces. No moisture required, although
>> allowed.
>>
>> To think that the gecko uses many micro fibres on its feet to climb up a
>> sheet of glass.

> Would that be a Chux cloth?

No, those are too harsh.

> I haven't had a gecko climbing the computer, but a big stick insect was
> climbing the TV screen a while ago.

Ho, ho, too much christmas gin, Geo?

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Geopelia

"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 00:41:51 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>"Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Those cloths are amazing. Well they do a great job. Clean ones glasses
>>> just
>>> fine and then you throw them in the wash.
>>>
>>> They do grab the dirt off hard surfaces. No moisture required, although
>>> allowed.
>>>
>>> To think that the gecko uses many micro fibres on its feet to climb up a
>>> sheet of glass.

>>Would that be a Chux cloth?

> A micro fibres in NOT A CHUX CLOTH DO NOT USE ONE ALL.
>

> Use a proper LCD/TV cleaning kit

Would Dick Smith have one?

On 27/12/11 16:48, Geopelia wrote:
> "Frank Williams"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 00:41:51 +1300, "Geopelia"<(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> "Gordon"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Would that be a Chux cloth?

>> A micro fibres in NOT A CHUX CLOTH DO NOT USE ONE ALL.
>>

>> Use a proper LCD/TV cleaning kit

> Would Dick Smith have one?

Yes, almost certainly and they will give advise on how to clean laptop
screens.

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Richard

On 12/27/2011 4:48 PM, Geopelia wrote:

>> Use a proper LCD/TV cleaning kit

> Would Dick Smith have one?

Yeah for about $30 tho.

All they are is a microfiber cloth and a tiny undersized bottle of
random liquids.