Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > NSGMLS ??

NSGMLS ??

Roedy Green

"NSGMLS" = "N? Standard Generalised Markup Language S?",

I am putting the finishing touches on code that ensures any acronym is
defined the first time it is used on a page of the Java glossary.
However, I have one acronym NSGMLS that I have hit a brick wall on
finding a definition. Any guesses on what it means?
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Eric Sosman

On 12/20/2011 10:03 AM, Roedy Green wrote:
> "NSGMLS" = "N? Standard Generalised Markup Language S?",
>
> I am putting the finishing touches on code that ensures any acronym is
> defined the first time it is used on a page of the Java glossary.
> However, I have one acronym NSGMLS that I have hit a brick wall on
> finding a definition. Any guesses on what it means?

"Noel" Sing Good Men, Lifting Spirits.

Google has "about 35,300" other guesses ...

--
Eric Sosman

Lew

On Tuesday, December 20, 2011 7:09:48 AM UTC-8, Eric Sosman wrote:
> On 12/20/2011 10:03 AM, Roedy Green wrote:
> > "NSGMLS" = "N? Standard Generalised Markup Language S?",
> >
> > I am putting the finishing touches on code that ensures any acronym is
> > defined the first time it is used on a page of the Java glossary.
> > However, I have one acronym NSGMLS that I have hit a brick wall on
> > finding a definition. Any guesses on what it means?

> "Noel" Sing Good Men, Lifting Spirits.
>
> Google has "about 35,300" other guesses ...

The very first hit on that Google search for me looks like the one Roedy wants.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=NSGMLS

--
Lew

Michael Jung

Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> On 12/20/2011 10:03 AM, Roedy Green wrote:
>> > "NSGMLS" = "N? Standard Generalised Markup Language S?",
>> >
>> > I am putting the finishing touches on code that ensures any acronym is
>> > defined the first time it is used on a page of the Java glossary.
>> > However, I have one acronym NSGMLS that I have hit a brick wall on
>> > finding a definition. Any guesses on what it means?

[...]
> The very first hit on that Google search for me looks like the one Roedy wants.
> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=NSGMLS

That doesn't explain the acronym (At least I couldn't find it in the
text). Since it's James Clark's software, you should probably ask him
for an "authoritive" explanation. From the text I assume "N = New" and
(trailing) "S = System".

Michael

Roedy Green

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 07:44:20 -0800 (PST), Lew <(E-Mail Removed)>

>The very first hit on that Google search for me looks like the one Roedy wants.
>http://lmgtfy.com/?q=NSGMLS

I know what it is. I just don't know what the acronym stands for. If
you look at all those google entries, you will discover they never
tell you.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com
If you can't remember the name of some method,
consider changing it to something you can remember.

Gene Wirchenko

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 15:13:43 -0800, Roedy Green
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 07:44:20 -0800 (PST), Lew <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
>

>>The very first hit on that Google search for me looks like the one Roedy wants.
>>http://lmgtfy.com/?q=NSGMLS

>I know what it is. I just don't know what the acronym stands for. If
>you look at all those google entries, you will discover they never
>tell you.

What about "TWAIN"? (Technology Without An Interesting Name).
Yes, that is really what the acronym stands for. Does that help at
all?

How about "LASER"? Which is usually "laser" now and even has a
back-formation "lase".

A student assembler that was at use at Simon Fraser University in
the late '70s was called "NIP", which stood for "Nothing In
Particular".

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

glen herrmannsfeldt

Gene Wirchenko <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

(snip)
> How about "LASER"? Which is usually "laser" now and even has a
> back-formation "lase".

Maybe getting too far off topic, but Light Amplification by Stimulated
Emission of Radiation.

Before that, there was the MASER (Microwave ...) and there were so many
papers sent in to Physical Review (the usual journal for physics papers)
on the MASER that they had someone send them back without review.

When a paper on an Optical MASER was sent it, following the rules, it
was sent back without review. As a result, the first paper on the
LASER, as I understand it, was published in the New York Times.

Sometime later, Physical Review figured out the mistake and published.

Yes there is a verb form, to lase, very strange.

-- glen

Lew

On Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:13:43 PM UTC-8, Roedy Green wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 07:44:20 -0800 (PST), Lew <(E-Mail Removed)>
>

> >The very first hit on that Google search for me looks like the one Roedy wants.
> >http://lmgtfy.com/?q=NSGMLS

> I know what it is. I just don't know what the acronym stands for. If
> you look at all those google entries, you will discover they never
> tell you.

What evidence do you have that it's an acronym? If the founding link (that
first link in the Google search) doesn't mention it, how would any other source
be authoritative?

That founding link has an email address on it. If that address is active still, you can write the author and ask him.

--
Lew

Gene Wirchenko

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 07:01:57 -0800 (PST), Lew <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:13:43 PM UTC-8, Roedy Green wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 07:44:20 -0800 (PST), Lew <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>

>> >The very first hit on that Google search for me looks like the one Roedy wants.
>> >http://lmgtfy.com/?q=NSGMLS

>> I know what it is. I just don't know what the acronym stands for. If
>> you look at all those google entries, you will discover they never
>> tell you.

>What evidence do you have that it's an acronym? If the founding link (that

It is not very pronouncable.

[snip]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Roedy Green

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 07:01:57 -0800 (PST), Lew <(E-Mail Removed)>

>What evidence do you have that it's an acronym? If the founding link (that
>first link in the Google search) doesn't mention it, how would any other source
>be authoritative?

Because it contains another acronym SGML Standard Generalised Markup
Language

It is not pronounceable. That is another clue.

I wrote the author. He did not respond.

Sometimes acronyms are a joke and when the product acquires prestige,
the author wishes the acronym deviation would go away.

Sun disavowed JDBC meaning anything because I gather they did not
like giving homage to Microsoft's ODBC.

There is one acronym in the Java glossary whose name escapes me. They
refuse to divulge the meaning of their acronym saying it reflects
their early history and they are much bigger than that now.