Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > how to have online payment on a website

how to have online payment on a website

nospam

What is involved in adding online payment to a website and what does
it cost? Any idea?

TIA

pystol

On Dec 17, 2:51*pm, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What is involved in adding online payment to a website and what does
> it cost? *Any idea?
>
> TIA

Paypal has options.

Richard

On 12/17/2011 2:51 PM, nospam wrote:
> What is involved in adding online payment to a website and what does
> it cost? Any idea?
>
> TIA

On website you need to budget $1000's for PCI compliance and auditing
etc, it is a nightmare as soon as you are entering into an agreement
with your bank to handle peoples card details. And forget logging them
and entering them into a terminal manually as even if you just have a
merchant agreement with a terminal, you have to abide by PCI standards
for all your systems with customer data.

Off site, paypal is best for small value, there are already written
modules for anything that does ecommerce, and if you grow you can then
talk to DPS etc as the montlhly fee with them and your bank is a killer
if you are doing small turnover ( < $5000 was the cutoff when we
calculated it out)

JohnO

On Dec 17, 3:07*pm, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 12/17/2011 2:51 PM, nospam wrote:
>
> > What is involved in adding online payment to a website and what does
> > it cost? *Any idea?

> > TIA

> On website you need to budget $1000's for PCI compliance and auditing
> etc, it is a nightmare as soon as you are entering into an agreement
> with your bank to handle peoples card details. And forget logging them
> and entering them into a terminal manually as even if you just have a
> merchant agreement with a terminal, you have to abide by PCI standards
> for all your systems with customer data.
>
> Off site, paypal is best for small value, there are already written
> modules for anything that does ecommerce, and if you grow you can then
> talk to DPS etc as the montlhly fee with them and your bank is a killer
> if you are doing small turnover ( < $5000 was the cutoff when we
> calculated it out)

When I last looked, the PayPal option was ludicrously easy to setup
and add to your web page. However it seemed that the buyer needed to
setup a paypal account to complete a purchase. Is that still the case?

Richard

On 12/17/2011 4:01 PM, JohnO wrote:
> On Dec 17, 3:07 pm, Richard<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 12/17/2011 2:51 PM, nospam wrote:
>>
>>> What is involved in adding online payment to a website and what does
>>> it cost? Any idea?

>>> TIA

>> On website you need to budget $1000's for PCI compliance and auditing
>> etc, it is a nightmare as soon as you are entering into an agreement
>> with your bank to handle peoples card details. And forget logging them
>> and entering them into a terminal manually as even if you just have a
>> merchant agreement with a terminal, you have to abide by PCI standards
>> for all your systems with customer data.
>>
>> Off site, paypal is best for small value, there are already written
>> modules for anything that does ecommerce, and if you grow you can then
>> talk to DPS etc as the montlhly fee with them and your bank is a killer
>> if you are doing small turnover (< $5000 was the cutoff when we
>> calculated it out)

> When I last looked, the PayPal option was ludicrously easy to setup
> and add to your web page. However it seemed that the buyer needed to
> setup a paypal account to complete a purchase. Is that still the case?

No, you can do one off purchases, and now even if the card has been used
on paypal before you can which wasnt the case before.

Very handy if I am using an untrusted computer since I dont care about
the card number but do about my paypal details, I can just use the card
for one off payments and not log in.

Apparantly the page is different if you have paypal cookies or not on
the computer, to try to direct you to login if you have used paypal on
that machine before.

JohnO

On Dec 17, 7:10*pm, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 12/17/2011 4:01 PM, JohnO wrote:

> >> On website you need to budget $1000's for PCI compliance and auditing
> >> etc, it is a nightmare as soon as you are entering into an agreement
> >> with your bank to handle peoples card details. And forget logging them
> >> and entering them into a terminal manually as even if you just have a
> >> merchant agreement with a terminal, you have to abide by PCI standards
> >> for all your systems with customer data.

> >> Off site, paypal is best for small value, there are already written
> >> modules for anything that does ecommerce, and if you grow you can then
> >> talk to DPS etc as the montlhly fee with them and your bank is a killer
> >> if you are doing small turnover (< *$5000 was the cutoff when we
> >> calculated it out)

> > When I last looked, the PayPal option was ludicrously easy to setup
> > and add to your web page. However it seemed that the buyer needed to
> > setup a paypal account to complete a purchase. Is that still the case?

> No, you can do one off purchases, and now even if the card has been used
> on paypal before you can which wasnt the case before.
>
> Very handy if I am using an untrusted computer since I dont care about
> the card number but do about my paypal details, I can just use the card
> for one off payments and not log in.
>
> Apparantly the page is different if you have paypal cookies or not on
> the computer, to try to direct you to login if you have used paypal on
> that machine before.

Ah, that could be it.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, pystol <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Dec 17, 2:51=A0pm, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> What is involved in adding online payment to a website and what does
>> it cost? =A0Any idea?
>>
>> TIA

>Paypal has options.

... but is pretty awful.

nospam

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 00:01:02 GMT,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Bruce Sinclair)
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, pystol <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Dec 17, 2:51=A0pm, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> What is involved in adding online payment to a website and what does
>>> it cost? =A0Any idea?
>>>
>>> TIA

>>Paypal has options.

>.. but is pretty awful.

Why do you say that?

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 00:01:02 GMT,
>(E-Mail Removed) nz (Bruce Sinclair)
>wrote:
>>In article

> <(E-Mail Removed)>, pystol
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Paypal has options.

>>.. but is pretty awful.

>Why do you say that?

1) It wants more info than I am prepared to give it.
2) Despite it advertising itself as "safe" for both parties, it isn't. There
can be reversals months after a payment (recent case).

None for me thanks.

Donchano

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 06:39:04 GMT,
(E-Mail Removed) (Bruce Sinclair)
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Donchano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 12:45:37 +1300, "WorkHard" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>shouted from the highest rooftop:

>>>PayPal is great. Convenient, easy, secure and keeps good records.
>>>
>>>Very few people do reversals. It's a straw man. Besides, PayPal
>>>always notifies you when someone opens a dispute.
>>>
>>>I think your anti bias is malinformed.

>>Couldn't agree more.
>>
>>I've seen both sides of the PayPal coin.
>>
>>Heads: I set up a PayPal account on a website I designed for a friend
>>who is basically computer illiterate. It has worked fine for him and
>>is still working well after five years.
>>
>>Tails: I've used PayPal on numerous occasions to purchase items online
>>and PayPal was very helpful when I wanted a full refund for a couple
>>of items the seller misrepresented in her online description. It took
>>some jumping through hoops, but they're there to protect both the
>>buyer and seller.
>>
>>As far the info they require is concerned, it's a lot less intrusive
>>than opening a bank account or applying for credit.

>Mileages vary. I sure won't paypal ... others might.
>
>Note also the difference between the information *required* to open a bank
>account (or other financial account), and what the banks etc ask for. They
>ask for a lot more than they need, that's for sure. Some even ask for a
>drivers licence.

Or a passport! And something like a Telecom or power company statement
to prove you live at the address on your application. Gets silly ...