Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > yahoo-xtra mail problem

yahoo-xtra mail problem

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Donchano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 19:17:43 +1300, Frank Williams
><(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>>Telstra Clear net beats them all Cable that is and with a 2Mbs upload
>>speed

>Not here. Not with me. Not in my experience with both Clear and Xtra.
>I still have a substantial credit with ClearNet. I will probably never
>use it, but it gives me a certain amount of pleasure to see them
>having to mail a credit statement to me every month. It sort of makes
>up for the miserable service they provide.

Ask them to refund you the money.

Frank Williams

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 00:30:55 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed), Donchano says...
>>
>> On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 19:17:43 +1300, Frank Williams
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>>

>> >Telstra Clear net beats them all Cable that is and with a 2Mbs upload
>> >speed

>> Not here. Not with me. Not in my experience with both Clear and Xtra.
>> I still have a substantial credit with ClearNet. I will probably never
>> use it, but it gives me a certain amount of pleasure to see them
>> having to mail a credit statement to me every month. It sort of makes
>> up for the miserable service they provide.
>>
>> Even though I had many problems with Xtra in the past, I MUCH prefer
>> their service and features and have so for several years.
>>
>> BTW - Roger, my download speed is much faster than 2mbs with Xtra.
>> Much.

>*upload*
>
>However, I sorta agree. I've been on cable for a few years now (about 8
>years?), and my Mum's Xtra connection thrashes it for download speed
>*regularly* - infact every time I visit I find it's bloody damn fast.
>Sometimes near twice the speed (2 MBs vs 1 (that's mega bytes, not
>bits)). Sure, at times I can get 1.4. Very dissapointing I think. My
>Mum's neighbour, ironically, can not get ADSL at all! - and is stuck on
>Woosh wireless. She had the phone with them as well (cheaper all up),
>but it was too unreliable and went back to a Telecom phoneline and Woosh
>wireless broadband.
>
>What's a good NZ speed test site? - and I'll post my results.
>
>IIRC, my last upload speed test was around 600KB/s - also very
>dissapointing given the rated 2mbs.
>
>On the plus side, TC dropped the pricing recently - on the minus, it
>probably brings it more in line with the general competition (it's been
>too expensive for too long). Also on the plus side is the static IP and
>reverse pointers - all good to go for a mail server (as well as web
>servers, FTP etc etc). And allowed

Update

Here is the local one

http://nzdsl.co.nz/

Upload 2.12 Mbps Dnload 15.21 Mbps.

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), Frank Williams says...

> On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 00:30:55 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> >(E-Mail Removed), Donchano says...
> >>
> >> On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 19:17:43 +1300, Frank Williams
> >> <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:

> >> Not here. Not with me. Not in my experience with both Clear and Xtra.
> >> I still have a substantial credit with ClearNet. I will probably never
> >> use it, but it gives me a certain amount of pleasure to see them
> >> having to mail a credit statement to me every month. It sort of makes
> >> up for the miserable service they provide.
> >>
> >> Even though I had many problems with Xtra in the past, I MUCH prefer
> >> their service and features and have so for several years.
> >>
> >> BTW - Roger, my download speed is much faster than 2mbs with Xtra.
> >> Much.

> >*upload*
> >
> >However, I sorta agree. I've been on cable for a few years now (about 8
> >years?), and my Mum's Xtra connection thrashes it for download speed
> >*regularly* - infact every time I visit I find it's bloody damn fast.
> >Sometimes near twice the speed (2 MBs vs 1 (that's mega bytes, not
> >bits)). Sure, at times I can get 1.4. Very dissapointing I think. My
> >Mum's neighbour, ironically, can not get ADSL at all! - and is stuck on
> >Woosh wireless. She had the phone with them as well (cheaper all up),
> >but it was too unreliable and went back to a Telecom phoneline and Woosh
> >wireless broadband.
> >
> >What's a good NZ speed test site? - and I'll post my results.
> >
> >IIRC, my last upload speed test was around 600KB/s - also very
> >dissapointing given the rated 2mbs.
> >
> >On the plus side, TC dropped the pricing recently - on the minus, it
> >probably brings it more in line with the general competition (it's been
> >too expensive for too long). Also on the plus side is the static IP and
> >reverse pointers - all good to go for a mail server (as well as web
> >servers, FTP etc etc). And allowed

> I have just changed my Router so don't know if its optimized yet, but
> this site http://myspeed.visualware.com/ gives me 2.08 Mbps Upload and
> 25.6 Mbps Dnload to a server in Sydney.
>
> My Plane shows a 15Mbps dnload, I can plug in my old router and see what
> I get.
>
> I do have a local program that I cant seem to find at the moments
>
> A resent NZ test on ISPs gave TelstraClear.net cable as the fastest
> with Xtra a close second.

I get 6.04Mbs down and 2.05Mbs up (about .75MB/s down and 256KB/s up).
Pretty ****.

--
Duncan.

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed), Frank Williams says...

> On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 00:30:55 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> >(E-Mail Removed), Donchano says...
> >>
> >> On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 19:17:43 +1300, Frank Williams
> >> <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:

> >> Not here. Not with me. Not in my experience with both Clear and Xtra.
> >> I still have a substantial credit with ClearNet. I will probably never
> >> use it, but it gives me a certain amount of pleasure to see them
> >> having to mail a credit statement to me every month. It sort of makes
> >> up for the miserable service they provide.
> >>
> >> Even though I had many problems with Xtra in the past, I MUCH prefer
> >> their service and features and have so for several years.
> >>
> >> BTW - Roger, my download speed is much faster than 2mbs with Xtra.
> >> Much.

> >*upload*
> >
> >However, I sorta agree. I've been on cable for a few years now (about 8
> >years?), and my Mum's Xtra connection thrashes it for download speed
> >*regularly* - infact every time I visit I find it's bloody damn fast.
> >Sometimes near twice the speed (2 MBs vs 1 (that's mega bytes, not
> >bits)). Sure, at times I can get 1.4. Very dissapointing I think. My
> >Mum's neighbour, ironically, can not get ADSL at all! - and is stuck on
> >Woosh wireless. She had the phone with them as well (cheaper all up),
> >but it was too unreliable and went back to a Telecom phoneline and Woosh
> >wireless broadband.
> >
> >What's a good NZ speed test site? - and I'll post my results.
> >
> >IIRC, my last upload speed test was around 600KB/s - also very
> >dissapointing given the rated 2mbs.
> >
> >On the plus side, TC dropped the pricing recently - on the minus, it
> >probably brings it more in line with the general competition (it's been
> >too expensive for too long). Also on the plus side is the static IP and
> >reverse pointers - all good to go for a mail server (as well as web
> >servers, FTP etc etc). And allowed

> Update
>
> Here is the local one
>
> http://nzdsl.co.nz/
>

> Upload 2.12 Mbps Dnload 15.21 Mbps.

Like my results too... 15.26Mbs (1.9MB/s) down and 1.91Mbs (239KB/s) up,
ping 5ms (Otautahi/Wellington test).

While those results are about the rated for my plan (Lightspeed 60GB,
15Mbs/2Mbs) - I never get anywhere near those speeds in reality - even
with known excellent download servers.

--
Duncan.

victor

On 20/12/2011 11:48 a.m., Dave Doe wrote:
> In article<jcoe48$ece$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), victor
> says...
>>
>> On 20/12/2011 12:30 a.m., Dave Doe wrote:
>>> In article<(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> (E-Mail Removed)d, Donchano says...

>>> *upload*
>>>
>>> However, I sorta agree. I've been on cable for a few years now (about 8
>>> years?), and my Mum's Xtra connection thrashes it for download speed
>>> *regularly* - infact every time I visit I find it's bloody damn fast.
>>> Sometimes near twice the speed (2 MBs vs 1 (that's mega bytes, not
>>> bits)). Sure, at times I can get 1.4. Very dissapointing I think. My
>>> Mum's neighbour, ironically, can not get ADSL at all! - and is stuck on
>>> Woosh wireless. She had the phone with them as well (cheaper all up),
>>> but it was too unreliable and went back to a Telecom phoneline and Woosh
>>> wireless broadband.
>>>
>>> What's a good NZ speed test site? - and I'll post my results.
>>>
>>> IIRC, my last upload speed test was around 600KB/s - also very
>>> dissapointing given the rated 2mbs.
>>>
>>> On the plus side, TC dropped the pricing recently - on the minus, it
>>> probably brings it more in line with the general competition (it's been
>>> too expensive for too long). Also on the plus side is the static IP and
>>> reverse pointers - all good to go for a mail server (as well as web
>>> servers, FTP etc etc). And allowed
>>>

>> I'm using naked TC cable at the moment and 2talk for phone, which is
>> $65.95 per month plus $7 for the voip number.
>> For the same from Telecom I would be paying $115 per month not including
>> the voip which has more features than their phone package.
>> I would get higher speed on Telecom DSL, their map shows VDSL cabinets
>> in our street. But the money.
>> This is for the Lightspeed which is supposed to be 15Mbps/2Mbps, so yeah
>> I get nothing like their advertised rate
>> Download Speed: 7610 kbps (951.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
>> Upload Speed: 1716 kbps (214.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
>> Latency: 9 ms

> That sounds about typical speeds for me too.

Actually just remembered I had QOS on router configured for voip
Results now are.

Download Speed: 14861 kbps (1857.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 2253 kbps (281.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 10 ms
Tue Dec 20 2011 14:14:06 GMT+1300 (New Zealand Daylight Time)

Might leave it out, see how it goes.

Frank Williams

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 14:09:09 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed), Frank Williams says...
>>
>> On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 00:30:55 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> >(E-Mail Removed), Donchano says...

>> >*upload*
>> >
>> >However, I sorta agree. I've been on cable for a few years now (about 8
>> >years?), and my Mum's Xtra connection thrashes it for download speed
>> >*regularly* - infact every time I visit I find it's bloody damn fast.
>> >Sometimes near twice the speed (2 MBs vs 1 (that's mega bytes, not
>> >bits)). Sure, at times I can get 1.4. Very dissapointing I think. My
>> >Mum's neighbour, ironically, can not get ADSL at all! - and is stuck on
>> >Woosh wireless. She had the phone with them as well (cheaper all up),
>> >but it was too unreliable and went back to a Telecom phoneline and Woosh
>> >wireless broadband.
>> >
>> >What's a good NZ speed test site? - and I'll post my results.
>> >
>> >IIRC, my last upload speed test was around 600KB/s - also very
>> >dissapointing given the rated 2mbs.
>> >
>> >On the plus side, TC dropped the pricing recently - on the minus, it
>> >probably brings it more in line with the general competition (it's been
>> >too expensive for too long). Also on the plus side is the static IP and
>> >reverse pointers - all good to go for a mail server (as well as web
>> >servers, FTP etc etc). And allowed

>> Update
>>
>> Here is the local one
>>
>> http://nzdsl.co.nz/
>>

>> Upload 2.12 Mbps Dnload 15.21 Mbps.

>Like my results too... 15.26Mbs (1.9MB/s) down and 1.91Mbs (239KB/s) up,
>ping 5ms (Otautahi/Wellington test).
>
>While those results are about the rated for my plan (Lightspeed 60GB,
>15Mbs/2Mbs) - I never get anywhere near those speeds in reality - even
>with known excellent download servers.

I was dnloading a large file from a file server yesterday and got
1500KBs dnload speed.

I dont think it was local but may be Clear had it Catched here.

Donchano

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 00:30:55 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted
from the highest rooftop:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed), Donchano says...
>>
>> On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 19:17:43 +1300, Frank Williams
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>>

>> >Telstra Clear net beats them all Cable that is and with a 2Mbs upload
>> >speed

>> Not here. Not with me. Not in my experience with both Clear and Xtra.
>> I still have a substantial credit with ClearNet. I will probably never
>> use it, but it gives me a certain amount of pleasure to see them
>> having to mail a credit statement to me every month. It sort of makes
>> up for the miserable service they provide.
>>
>> Even though I had many problems with Xtra in the past, I MUCH prefer
>> their service and features and have so for several years.
>>
>> BTW - Roger, my download speed is much faster than 2mbs with Xtra.
>> Much.

>*upload*

Oh ... UPload speeds. That's another story. My Xtra upload speed is
rubbish. But since I rarely upload anything big, it doesn't concern
me. However it would if I did want to upload a big file.

Gordon

On 2011-12-16, Frank Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 22:57:37 -0800 (PST), pystol
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Are they having a meltdown? Can access yahoo webmail but trying to
>>download messages to my email client is a pain in the arse. 99 out of
>>100 attempts fail.

> Get a Real ISP.

Speaking of which. I read the other day that Xtra's grip, sorry, share, of
the market was down to 49%.

Gordon

On 2011-12-16, Donchano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 20:57:43 +1300, Frank Williams
><(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Are they having a meltdown? Can access yahoo webmail but trying to
>>>download messages to my email client is a pain in the arse. 99 out of
>>>100 attempts fail.

>>Get a Real ISP.

> I know Woger has long standing issues with Xtra, so take that into
> consideration first.

The question here are they "real", fair etc.

> OTOH, Xtra-Yahoo is crap. Full stop.

So, you partly agree with Roger. Jolly good show.

> So what I did is subscribe to a really excellent email service. It's
> called Fastmail.net and I've had no problems with it at all. Great
> service. Great backup and great support -which I've only had to use
> once or twice over the past couple of years - and not expensive in
> terms of the hassle it saves and the reliability it delivers.
>
> http://www.fastnet.net
>
> I recommend it highly and combined with Xtra (as my ISP) I have had
> very few problems.

Tell me does Xtra give you a discount for using their crap e-mail service?
After all you are paying for it, as are many other people