Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > 4G LTE vs GPS

4G LTE vs GPS

Me

A battle is developing in the US over "Lightsquared" proposed 4G LTE
high-speed broadband network interfering with GPS.
AIUI, Lightsquared claimed that use of the frequencies would interfere
with around 10% of existing GPS devices. US Government tests indicate
that it would interfere with 75%.
Quite remarkable (IMO) that billions of $ can be invested - without
getting this sorted out properly beforehand. Or was there some
assumption made by Lightsquared, that the "public good" of their 4G LTE
network (allowing 260 million people to gain access to high-speed mobile
broadband - at a price) outweighed the inconvenience to the millions of
people presently using a GPS service - for free. Now the FAA is
involved, Lightsquared seem to have a bit of a problem on their hands.
I hope that if similar potential conflict happens in NZ, we'll get it
sorted out long before it gets to this stage.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...u-s-tests.html

JohnO

On Dec 16, 10:00*am, Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> A battle is developing in the US over "Lightsquared" proposed 4G LTE
> high-speed broadband network interfering with GPS.
> AIUI, Lightsquared claimed that use of the frequencies would interfere
> with around 10% of existing GPS devices. *US Government tests indicate
> that it would interfere with 75%.
> Quite remarkable (IMO) that billions of $ can be invested - without
> getting this sorted out properly beforehand. *Or was there some
> assumption made by Lightsquared, that the "public good" of their 4G LTE
> network (allowing 260 million people to gain access to high-speed mobile
> broadband - at a price) outweighed the inconvenience to the millions of
> people presently using a GPS service - for free. *Now the FAA is
> involved, Lightsquared seem to have a bit of a problem on their hands.
> I hope that if similar potential conflict happens in NZ, we'll get it
> sorted out long before it gets to this stage.
>
> http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...ightsquared-di...

Interfering with GPS is a safety issue as well as a commercial one so
I'd say they are in the ****.

Gordon

On 2011-12-16, JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Dec 16, 10:00*am, Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> A battle is developing in the US over "Lightsquared" proposed 4G LTE
>> high-speed broadband network interfering with GPS.
>> AIUI, Lightsquared claimed that use of the frequencies would interfere
>> with around 10% of existing GPS devices. *US Government tests indicate
>> that it would interfere with 75%.
>> Quite remarkable (IMO) that billions of $ can be invested - without
>> getting this sorted out properly beforehand. *Or was there some
>> assumption made by Lightsquared, that the "public good" of their 4G LTE
>> network (allowing 260 million people to gain access to high-speed mobile
>> broadband - at a price) outweighed the inconvenience to the millions of
>> people presently using a GPS service - for free. *Now the FAA is
>> involved, Lightsquared seem to have a bit of a problem on their hands.
>> I hope that if similar potential conflict happens in NZ, we'll get it
>> sorted out long before it gets to this stage.
>>
>> http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...ightsquared-di...

> Interfering with GPS is a safety issue as well as a commercial one so
> I'd say they are in the ****.

So 4G is the weapon of choice for messing up GPS?

Richard

On 12/16/2011 10:00 AM, Me wrote:
> A battle is developing in the US over "Lightsquared" proposed 4G LTE
> high-speed broadband network interfering with GPS.
> AIUI, Lightsquared claimed that use of the frequencies would interfere
> with around 10% of existing GPS devices. US Government tests indicate
> that it would interfere with 75%.
> Quite remarkable (IMO) that billions of $ can be invested - without
> getting this sorted out properly beforehand. Or was there some
> assumption made by Lightsquared, that the "public good" of their 4G LTE
> network (allowing 260 million people to gain access to high-speed mobile
> broadband - at a price) outweighed the inconvenience to the millions of
> people presently using a GPS service - for free. Now the FAA is
> involved, Lightsquared seem to have a bit of a problem on their hands.
> I hope that if similar potential conflict happens in NZ, we'll get it
> sorted out long before it gets to this stage.
>

> http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...u-s-tests.html

If they are in their allocated band and it was just cheapness of the GPS
vendors in filtering then its no different to the old days when mobile
phones would mess up TV reception because of cheap recievers.

Not the LTE guys problem unless they go outside their allocated
frequency band

JohnO

On Dec 16, 5:18*pm, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2011-12-16, JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 16, 10:00*am, Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> A battle is developing in the US over "Lightsquared" proposed 4G LTE
> >> high-speed broadband network interfering with GPS.
> >> AIUI, Lightsquared claimed that use of the frequencies would interfere
> >> with around 10% of existing GPS devices. *US Government tests indicate
> >> that it would interfere with 75%.
> >> Quite remarkable (IMO) that billions of $ can be invested - without
> >> getting this sorted out properly beforehand. *Or was there some
> >> assumption made by Lightsquared, that the "public good" of their 4G LTE
> >> network (allowing 260 million people to gain access to high-speed mobile
> >> broadband - at a price) outweighed the inconvenience to the millions of
> >> people presently using a GPS service - for free. *Now the FAA is
> >> involved, Lightsquared seem to have a bit of a problem on their hands.
> >> I hope that if similar potential conflict happens in NZ, we'll get it
> >> sorted out long before it gets to this stage.

> >>http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...ightsquared-di....

> > Interfering with GPS is a safety issue as well as a commercial one so
> > I'd say they are in the ****.

> So 4G is the weapon of choice for messing up GPS?

You can buy more effective GPS jammers off the web for less than the
price of any 4g LTE device.

Greg

On 17/12/2011 3:59 p.m., JohnO wrote:
> On Dec 16, 5:18 pm, Gordon<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Interfering with GPS is a safety issue as well as a commercial one so
>>> I'd say they are in the ****.

>> So 4G is the weapon of choice for messing up GPS?

> You can buy more effective GPS jammers off the web for less than the
> price of any 4g LTE device.

What most people don't appreciate is the level of GPS signals, remember
the signals are coming from satellites many thousands of KM's above the
earth, by the time they get to your GPS receivers the signal is barely
above background noise, so it won't take much interference from a 4G
network to disrupt them, in this case it's not the actual cell signal,
but the harmonics that overlap on the GPS bands

Richard

On 12/17/2011 6:27 PM, Greg wrote:

> What most people don't appreciate is the level of GPS signals, remember
> the signals are coming from satellites many thousands of KM's above the
> earth, by the time they get to your GPS receivers the signal is barely
> above background noise, so it won't take much interference from a 4G
> network to disrupt them, in this case it's not the actual cell signal,
> but the harmonics that overlap on the GPS bands

Really? What I read ages back was that it was just that the band was
adjacent to the GPS band and they had lousy filtering in the chips, not
a problem with the transmission having harmonics

victor

On 17/12/2011 7:03 p.m., Richard wrote:
> On 12/17/2011 6:27 PM, Greg wrote:
>
>> What most people don't appreciate is the level of GPS signals, remember
>> the signals are coming from satellites many thousands of KM's above the
>> earth, by the time they get to your GPS receivers the signal is barely
>> above background noise, so it won't take much interference from a 4G
>> network to disrupt them, in this case it's not the actual cell signal,
>> but the harmonics that overlap on the GPS bands

> Really? What I read ages back was that it was just that the band was
> adjacent to the GPS band and they had lousy filtering in the chips, not
> a problem with the transmission having harmonics

Its complicated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LightSq...ference_issues

Russian WiMax pioneer Yota had to turn on LTE networks overnight karlaserv The Lounge 0 07-02-2012 06:42 AM
Re: rastreadores GPS Ratreador gps localizadores bloqueadores 6518232 Frisbee® MCSE 3 08-18-2006 11:09 PM
Old Compaq LTE 5400 laptop PCMCIA USB ?? GraB NZ Computing 4 06-04-2005 05:04 AM
compaq lte elite 4/75 book lover NZ Computing 0 09-05-2003 07:05 AM

Advertisments