Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > xtra.co.nz/neo/45454

xtra.co.nz/neo/45454

Enkidu

On 16/12/11 02:29, Frank Williams wrote:

> like 3 or 4 ISP's, 3 or 4 Banks and the IRD the other day..

The IRD one is a real one.

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu

On 19/12/11 16:40, Geopelia wrote:
> "Frank Williams"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 00:17:31 +1300, "Geopelia"<(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I got an email from system admin telling me to upgrade my account, which I
>>> suspected was spam.
>>> It told me to click on xtra.co.nz/neo/45454
>>>
>>> I didn't do that of course.
>>>
>>> It was supposed to be from Yahoo! New Zealand Technical Support Team.
>>>
>>> So I googled Yahoo! New Zealand Technical Support Team and got what seemed
>>> to be a genuine page to ask a question on, and I asked if it was a genuine
>>> email.
>>>
>>> I got a reply saying somebody was waiting to answer, and if I was
>>> satisfied
>>> with the answer (which after all only had to be Yes or No) I should pay
>>> $59.
>>>
>>> I had a lot of trouble trying to get the website to cancel, it kept asking
>>> if I wanted to navigate away from the page.
>>>
>>> What do you think of that?
>>>
>>> I'm just ignoring it of course.
>>>

>> You seems to get conned all the time, I get 5 every week, just ignore
>> them..
>>
>> like 3 or 4 ISP's, 3 or 4 Banks and the IRD the other day..

> Yes, I get all those. This looked a genuine one from Yahoo.
>
> So if I get something that looks as though it is from Yahoo am I supposed to
> ask Telecom now?

Yes, if it is about Telecom/Xtra.

> I think I heard they were combining some time ago.

No, Yahoo handle Xtra's email. Basically Xtra have 'outsourced' it.

Cheers,

Cliff

Frank Williams

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 19:58:36 +1300, Enkidu <cliffp@bogus> wrote:

>On 16/12/11 02:29, Frank Williams wrote:
>>
>> like 3 or 4 ISP's, 3 or 4 Banks and the IRD the other day..
>>

>The IRD one is a real one.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Cliff

No it was NOT as it stated that I had a bank refund of some xxx BPD, I
live in NZ and not the UK it was a dead give away and gave fake links to
4 different NZ banks, the bank Pages look 100% but the URL was totally
wrong..

Geopelia

"Scooter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On , , Sun, 18 Dec 2011 20:24:47 +1300, Re: xtra.co.nz/neo/45454, Crash
> McBash
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 19:21:51 +1300, Frank Williams
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>I don't think this is a real person may be a Bot..?

>>I'm with Geo here. She is probably the oldest poster here and has
>>many times admitted to her lack of expertise. What is obvious to many
>>posters here may not be obvious to her. We don't need the implied
>>ridicule from Gib and Roger to further diminish the number of posters
>>here.

> Quite, some people here have such low self esteem that they can only feel
> good
> about themselves by disrespecting other people.
> I doubt if there is anyone here who doesn't know about Geopelia and her
> experience with computers/

More likely inexperience!
But I can find stuff on Google, use Word, and post in newsgroups. There
wouldn't be time for much else.

Geopelia

"Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote
in message news:jcmd0h$4mh$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <jcmb9u$toj$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> (snip)
>
>>> I'm getting that feeling of deja vu all over again. How many times have
>>> you posted about such unrequested emails, always getting the same
>>> advice -
>>> that they are scams, and to ignore and delete them?

>>But how can you be sure if they are a scam or not? Most times I can tell,
>>but now and then one looks so genuine I think it best to ask here.
>>Nobody needs to reply, but most people kindly do.

> If you assume they are all scams, you will be right.
> Banks do not ask for info by email ... at least they say they don't.
>
> If in doubt, bin it. If it's really important, your bank will write to
> you.

I ignore the bank ones. The one I posted about looked as though it came from
Yahoo. They seemed to have everything right, even the spelling, which
usually gives the scams away.

Geopelia

"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 19:58:36 +1300, Enkidu <cliffp@bogus> wrote:
>
>>On 16/12/11 02:29, Frank Williams wrote:
>>>
>>> like 3 or 4 ISP's, 3 or 4 Banks and the IRD the other day..
>>>

>>The IRD one is a real one.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Cliff

> No it was NOT as it stated that I had a bank refund of some xxx BPD, I
> live in NZ and not the UK it was a dead give away and gave fake links to
> 4 different NZ banks, the bank Pages look 100% but the URL was totally
> wrong..

I get IRD scam ones from both UK and NZ. But I did our tax returns and got
the refunds a long time ago, and what they say they owe me is often more
than the tax I had to pay.

Enkidu

On 19/12/11 23:14, Frank Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 19:58:36 +1300, Enkidu<cliffp@bogus> wrote:
>
>> On 16/12/11 02:29, Frank Williams wrote:
>>>
>>> like 3 or 4 ISP's, 3 or 4 Banks and the IRD the other day..
>>>

>> The IRD one is a real one.

> No it was NOT as it stated that I had a bank refund of some xxx BPD, I
> live in NZ and not the UK it was a dead give away and gave fake links to
> 4 different NZ banks, the bank Pages look 100% but the URL was totally
> wrong..

It is real. They have finally caught up with you.

Cheers,

Cliff

Scooter

On , , Mon, 19 Dec 2011 23:24:26 +1300, Re: xtra.co.nz/neo/45454, "Geopelia"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Scooter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On , , Sun, 18 Dec 2011 20:24:47 +1300, Re: xtra.co.nz/neo/45454, Crash
>> McBash
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>I'm with Geo here. She is probably the oldest poster here and has
>>>many times admitted to her lack of expertise. What is obvious to many
>>>posters here may not be obvious to her. We don't need the implied
>>>ridicule from Gib and Roger to further diminish the number of posters
>>>here.

>> Quite, some people here have such low self esteem that they can only feel
>> good
>> about themselves by disrespecting other people.
>> I doubt if there is anyone here who doesn't know about Geopelia and her
>> experience with computers/

>More likely inexperience!

Inexperience experience, it's only a two letter prefix difference.

>But I can find stuff on Google, use Word, and post in newsgroups. There
>wouldn't be time for much else.

Well not everyone can write machine code like I had to when I first got involved
with computers.