Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Question on passing MAC addresses over switched metro ethernet

Question on passing MAC addresses over switched metro ethernet

pfisterfarm

> It is possible to use a trunk port (tagged traffic) but you need to be
> sure that the vlan you use for the local devices is not configured on
> that port.

I think I may have a problem then. There's a vlan assigned to the
4500s on the central side and all remote switches. And then each
remote site has a vlan which is used for servers and workstations, and
that's the one we're using on the central end for the virtual servers.
So, it would have to be a trunk port, wouldn't it?

Rob

pfisterfarm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> It is possible to use a trunk port (tagged traffic) but you need to be
>> sure that the vlan you use for the local devices is not configured on
>> that port.

> I think I may have a problem then. There's a vlan assigned to the
> 4500s on the central side and all remote switches. And then each
> remote site has a vlan which is used for servers and workstations, and
> that's the one we're using on the central end for the virtual servers.
> So, it would have to be a trunk port, wouldn't it?

You cannot have the same VLAN on your central site and remote site,
because then you see all the MAC addresses on the link. The way around
that is to use routing, not a single VLAN. This will mean your central
servers are reachable for the remote workstations only via routing, but
that is not an issue other than that it means reconfiguration and some
handling of special protocols that require broadcasting.

(e.g. you must define a DHCP helper in the remote switches that forwards
DHCP requests over the routed link to the central server, assuming it
is the DHCP server for your remote workstations)