Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Brit DSLR ban lunacy gets even funnier

Re: Brit DSLR ban lunacy gets even funnier

Mort

Rich wrote:
> Seems that DSLR users are slow and dangerous.
>
> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...tes_as_officia
> ls_blame_spiral_staircase__news_310747.html

Hi,

The ban has nothing at all to do with tripods. A search revealed a photo
of the warning sign. DSLRs are banned due to their "high-quality sensors
and high resolution". Ironically, the ban is in a disused station now
viewable by tourists. Apparently, pocketable digital cameras are OK.
There must be a reason for this atypical ban, but it certainly is not
obvious.

Mort Linder

Martin Brown

On 12/12/2011 00:00, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2011-12-11 14:38:26 -0800, Mort <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> Rich wrote:
>>> Seems that DSLR users are slow and dangerous.
>>>
>>> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...tes_as_officia
>>> ls_blame_spiral_staircase__news_310747.html

That is clearly a post hoc justification of an untenable position.

>> The ban has nothing at all to do with tripods. A search revealed a
>> photo of the warning sign. DSLRs are banned due to their "high-quality
>> sensors and high resolution". Ironically, the ban is in a disused
>> station now viewable by tourists. Apparently, pocketable digital
>> cameras are OK. There must be a reason for this atypical ban, but it
>> certainly is not obvious.

Ironic that some pocketable cameras now have sensor sizes to rival
DSLRs. The main thing missing are fast wide angle lenses.

> The reason is obvious, ...stupidity, and bureaucratic ignorance.

I suspect that is the case. They probably should ban tripods though in a
confined space with a 160 step spiral staircase.

"Monument" which is the spiral staircase to end them all at 311 steps
and quite tight near the top permits DSLRs. They give you a certificate
to say you have climbed it afterwards. Hooke once had a telescope
running down the middle of it (but traffic vibrations made it useless).

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1623284

The problem for organisers in the UK is that we are now bristling with
ambulance chasing lawyers and professional trippers and slippers who
attend these sorts of open days with a view to insurance fraud.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Andrew Reilly

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 09:47:04 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

> "Monument" which is the spiral staircase to end them all at 311 steps
> and quite tight near the top permits DSLRs.

Neither the bell tower in Brugge (366 steps) nor the Torrazzo of Cremona
(487 steps) had any issue with DSLRs either, from memory. Don't think
that I would have wanted to try carrying a tripod up either though, and
didn't. (The spirals get pretty steep and narrow towards the top!)

Cheers,

--
Andrew

RichA

On Dec 11, 5:38*pm, Mort <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Rich wrote:
> > Seems that DSLR users are slow and dangerous.

> >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...escalates_as_o...
> > ls_blame_spiral_staircase__news_310747.html

> Hi,
>
> The ban has nothing at all to do with tripods. A search revealed a photo
> of the warning sign. DSLRs are banned due to their "high-quality sensors
> and high resolution". Ironically, the ban is in a disused station now
> viewable by tourists. Apparently, pocketable digital cameras are OK.
> There must be a reason for this atypical ban, but it certainly is not
> obvious.
>
> Mort Linder

Maybe they sell photos of the place and don't want the competition?

PeterN

On 12/12/2011 4:47 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 12/12/2011 00:00, Savageduck wrote:

> That is clearly a post hoc justification of an untenable position.
>>>
>>> The ban has nothing at all to do with tripods. A search revealed a
>>> photo of the warning sign. DSLRs are banned due to their "high-quality
>>> sensors and high resolution". Ironically, the ban is in a disused
>>> station now viewable by tourists. Apparently, pocketable digital
>>> cameras are OK. There must be a reason for this atypical ban, but it
>>> certainly is not obvious.

> Ironic that some pocketable cameras now have sensor sizes to rival
> DSLRs. The main thing missing are fast wide angle lenses.
>>
>> The reason is obvious, ...stupidity, and bureaucratic ignorance.

> I suspect that is the case. They probably should ban tripods though in a
> confined space with a 160 step spiral staircase.
>
> "Monument" which is the spiral staircase to end them all at 311 steps
> and quite tight near the top permits DSLRs. They give you a certificate
> to say you have climbed it afterwards. Hooke once had a telescope
> running down the middle of it (but traffic vibrations made it useless).
>
> http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1623284
>
> The problem for organisers in the UK is that we are now bristling with
> ambulance chasing lawyers and professional trippers and slippers who
> attend these sorts of open days with a view to insurance fraud.
>
> Regards,
> Martin Brown

that problem is almost universal.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 12/11/2011 7:00 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2011-12-11 14:38:26 -0800, Mort <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> Rich wrote:
>>> Seems that DSLR users are slow and dangerous.
>>>
>>> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...tes_as_officia
>>>
>>> ls_blame_spiral_staircase__news_310747.html
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> The ban has nothing at all to do with tripods. A search revealed a
>> photo of the warning sign. DSLRs are banned due to their "high-quality
>> sensors and high resolution". Ironically, the ban is in a disused
>> station now viewable by tourists. Apparently, pocketable digital
>> cameras are OK. There must be a reason for this atypical ban, but it
>> certainly is not obvious.
>>

>> Mort Linder

> The reason is obvious, ...stupidity, and bureaucratic ignorance.

Isn't "bureaucratic arrogance" a more appropriate phrase.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 12/12/2011 4:47 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 12/12/2011 00:00, Savageduck wrote:

> That is clearly a post hoc justification of an untenable position.
>>>
>>> The ban has nothing at all to do with tripods. A search revealed a
>>> photo of the warning sign. DSLRs are banned due to their "high-quality
>>> sensors and high resolution". Ironically, the ban is in a disused
>>> station now viewable by tourists. Apparently, pocketable digital
>>> cameras are OK. There must be a reason for this atypical ban, but it
>>> certainly is not obvious.

> Ironic that some pocketable cameras now have sensor sizes to rival
> DSLRs. The main thing missing are fast wide angle lenses.
>>
>> The reason is obvious, ...stupidity, and bureaucratic ignorance.

> I suspect that is the case. They probably should ban tripods though in a
> confined space with a 160 step spiral staircase.
>
> "Monument" which is the spiral staircase to end them all at 311 steps
> and quite tight near the top permits DSLRs. They give you a certificate
> to say you have climbed it afterwards. Hooke once had a telescope
> running down the middle of it (but traffic vibrations made it useless).
>
> http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1623284
>
> The problem for organisers in the UK is that we are now bristling with
> ambulance chasing lawyers and professional trippers and slippers who
> attend these sorts of open days with a view to insurance fraud.

No limited to the UK. In NY Banana Peel Annie became infamous, (pre
security cameras,) until a local market starting watching her every time.

--
Peter

Trevor

"PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4eef2956$0$451$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com...
>> The reason is obvious, ...stupidity, and bureaucratic ignorance.
>>

> Isn't "bureaucratic arrogance" a more appropriate phrase.

Seems to me bureaucratic ignorance and bureaucratic arrogance are
inextricably linked!

Trevor.

PeterN

On 12/19/2011 7:36 PM, Trevor wrote:
> "PeterN"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4eef2956$0$451$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com...
>>> The reason is obvious, ...stupidity, and bureaucratic ignorance.
>>>

>> Isn't "bureaucratic arrogance" a more appropriate phrase.

> Seems to me bureaucratic ignorance and bureaucratic arrogance are
> inextricably linked!

One implies an "I don't care about anybody else" attitude. they are not
necessarily the same.

--
Peter

Trevor

"PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4eeff186$0$5545$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com...

>>> Isn't "bureaucratic arrogance" a more appropriate phrase.

>> Seems to me bureaucratic ignorance and bureaucratic arrogance are
>> inextricably linked!

> One implies an "I don't care about anybody else" attitude. they are not
> necessarily the same.

I didn't say they were the SAME, I said they were inextricably linked. ie.
their arrogance comes mainly from their ignorance.

Trevor.