Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Micro sign

Re: Micro sign

tlvp

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 22:05:26 +0200, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> Using lower case "m" as a symbol for the "micro" prefix is simply
> incorrect by three magnitudes, and it was always incorrect.

I quite agree: not only incorrect, but, at least in the pharmaceutical
domain, potentially life-threatening! My pharmacist nontheless insists
that anyone familiar with the drugs and their standard dosages will
*never* interpret an "mg" incorrectly given the drug being referred to.
I, nonetheless, have my doubts, as I've already made clear.

For one need only recall last century's NASA misadventure, resulting
from an inch/cm confusion (or was it a mil/mm confusion?) to be very
wary of such typographical penny-pinching.

Cheers, -- tlvp

P E Schoen

"tlvp" wrote in message news:1a2e3bgtc0q65.1sqxrsg56zd99$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 22:05:26 +0200, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

>> Using lower case "m" as a symbol for the "micro" prefix is simply
>> incorrect by three magnitudes, and it was always incorrect.

> I quite agree: not only incorrect, but, at least in the pharmaceutical
> domain, potentially life-threatening! My pharmacist nontheless
> insists that anyone familiar with the drugs and their standard
> dosages will *never* interpret an "mg" incorrectly given the drug
> being referred to. I, nonetheless, have my doubts, as I've already
> made clear.

> For one need only recall last century's NASA misadventure,
> resulting from an inch/cm confusion (or was it a mil/mm
> confusion?) to be very wary of such typographical
> penny-pinching.

I can remember when frequency was in cps, rather than Hz, and I think
microfarads were mF. Mostly I remember that picofarads were referred to as
micromicroFarads, probably, mmF, and often called "Mickey-Mikes". Even more
recent is the use of nanoFarads. I sometimes still prefer something like
0.0022 uF instead of 2.2 nF. And it is also often written as 2n20, which has
better readability in scanned schematics where the decimal point can be
missed.

Paul
www.muttleydog.com