Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Re: A_Modest_1_bit_Proposal_about_Quotification_-_making_the_Default_Easy

Re: A_Modest_1_bit_Proposal_about_Quotification_-_making_the_Default_Easy

Tim McCaffrey

In article <(E-Mail Removed)-arch.net>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-arch.net
says...

>Q: what would a "securely composable shell scripting language" look like?

Instead of using quotes, allow parameters to be passed with explicit lengths:

Select where name=<length of name>:<name>

(SQL is not something I use, so just take that as a generic example)

example:

I input "find me" for name (without the quotes).

The script determines the length of "find me" (7) and passes:

Select where name=7:find me

No new character sets, no way to confuse the parser, etc.

(Pascal really did get it right the first time)

- Tim