Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Off topic: Why is asking homework questions shunned?

Off topic: Why is asking homework questions shunned?

Ebenezer

On Dec 8, 3:18*am, Juha Nieminen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Christopher <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I've already had the displeasure of having to work with several people
> > I tutored in college, whom I had caught buying tests, paying others to
> > do homework assignments, etc.

> > They do in fact get jobs.
> > Interviewing for C++ jobs is so predictable, you can almost memorize
> > what you will be asked before hand and get a job without even knowing
> > the difference between a reference and a pointer. Seriously.

> > Those people don't last long, but they do enough damage while they are
> > there to really screw up the source.

> * In the 80's and especially the 90's it was a commonly held belief among
> the average job-seeking (related to computers) people, that programming
> is something you can easily learn in a week or two from a book. Maybe a
> bit similar to writing reports or documentation: One might not know the
> exact formatting and layout that a company requires, but one usually learns
> it easily and quickly after a couple of days. After all, computer programming
> is a bit like writing prose, isn't it? Writing your ideas on paper isn't
> all that hard, so how hard can programming be?
>
> * Hence it was a sadly common practice for people to secure a job first,
> "learn" to program later. I have heard of actual such cases, where eg. a
> person who applied for (and got) a job in programming C++ (I think it was
> in the 90's) had no idea whatsoever about C++ (even though it was a job
> requirement), and the first day on the job he started reading a C++ book.
>
> * Sadly, back then the people responsible for hiring programmers had
> absolutely no knowledge of programming themselves either. To them programming
> was like magic. Some person types something in the computer, and the desired
> thing happens. They have no idea how, it just does. Not only did this cause
> employers to have completely unrealistic expectations about what could be
> achieved with computer programming, they were also extremely naive: It was
> enough for someone to *claim* that they knew computer programming, and the
> employer would believe it.

One coworker explained it to me in terms of "pretenders and plumbers."
He was a plumber who got a lot of good work done. Our boss was a
pretender who was difficult to deal with.

> * While the situation might be a bit better today, seemingly it still is
> happening. People are applying for programming jobs with little to no
> experience in actual programming (the idea still being that they will
> "learn" it on the go), and employers being naive.

I think the situation is significantly better today than it used
to be. Tight budgets are helping to filter out a lot of the
pretenders.

Brian Wood
Ebenezer Enterprises
http://webEbenezer.net