Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Problem accessing shared assembly in GAC

Problem accessing shared assembly in GAC

John Holmes

I have created a shared assembly (ctrl1.dll) with a strong name and added it
to the GAC on a development webserver, devweb, and it's dependent dll
(dep1.dll) which has also been added to the GAC . I located the dlls on the
C: drive on devweb (C:\Program Files\Common Files\MyAssemblies).

I'm developing on a different machine, mydev. My project is located on the
webserver, devweb. So I do a File/Open/Project from web to open my web
project. I have also added the shared assemblies to the GAC on mydev
pointing to the same location on the C drive of mydev (C:\Program
Files\Common Files\MyAssemblies) and added the path to the registry key on
mydev so that I can see it in my listbox of references.
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramewo rk\AssemblyFolders)

I added a reference to ctrl1.dll initially and set Copy Local = True and
everything worked fine. When I set this to false it doesn't find the
ctrl1.dll. It should find it in the GAC is what I'm thinking, but it
doesn't. I'd prefer to not have to include this dll in every applications
bin directory, that's why I want to use the GAC.

Please help.

Thanks,

John Holmes
Skagit County