Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Video driver help

Video driver help

Chas

I can't get any drivers to display more than 32 colors for the used
ATI GL Fire V3100 PCI-E
video card.
The card did not come with any driver...I can find some drivers, but I can't
get the display up to 256 colors.
Anyone have any experience with this type card..or any other suggestions.

Paul

Chas wrote:
> I can't get any drivers to display more than 32 colors for the used
> ATI GL Fire V3100 PCI-E
> video card.
> The card did not come with any driver...I can find some drivers, but I can't
> get the display up to 256 colors.
> Anyone have any experience with this type card..or any other suggestions.

Go to AMD.com (AMD bought ATI).

The driver link is in the upper right hand corner.

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx

"Workstation Graphics"
"FireGL Series"
"FireGL V3100"
"Windows XP - 32 bit"

Or, alternately, the web site also has an "automatic detection"
feature. Usually, that involves either an ActiveX widget or
some code you download and run on the computer. Based on the
hardware detected, the tool will recommend a driver. (I prefer
to pick my own drivers.)

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...to_detect.aspx

It's probably stuck in 16 color mode right now, and is using
the fall-back VESA driver which is included in the OS. That
VESA driver, is how the computer can run the card, when no
custom driver is available. You stay stuck in 16 colors, until
the "real" non-VESA driver is installed. Then it should work great.

Some OSes, also have "real" drivers, but the drivers are pretty
old, and it's best to update the driver using the AMD web site.
For example, when I installed WinXP on my ATI 9800pro, the OS had
a driver already for it. But that driver had a small bug, so I
needed to update.

Depending on how many bugs are present in the driver, you may need
to test as many as three drivers, before finding one which gives
satisfactory performance in daily usage.

Note that, Device Manager has a feature to "roll back" one level
of drivers. If at some point in the future, an accident happens,
and you get a driver update you didn't want, you can use Device
Manager to remove the last driver installed. But that feature
is not infinitely deep, and won't allow more than one roll-back.

Paul

Jeff Strickland

"Chas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zUGBq.2527$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I can't get any drivers to display more than 32 colors for the used
> ATI GL Fire V3100 PCI-E
> video card.
> The card did not come with any driver...I can find some drivers, but I
> can't get the display up to 256 colors.
> Anyone have any experience with this type card..or any other suggestions.

You are confusing 32 colors and 32-bit. 32-bit is millions of colors, 256
colors is 8-bit.

Chas

> You are confusing 32 colors and 32-bit. 32-bit is millions of colors, 256
> colors is 8-bit.

***********************************
I must be. This latest driver (shown to me by Paul, above link) is the
exact one for the card and it is still at 32....so that takes care of the
problem...thanks to both of you..charlie

Paul

Chas wrote:
>> You are confusing 32 colors and 32-bit. 32-bit is millions of colors, 256
>> colors is 8-bit.

> I must be. This latest driver (shown to me by Paul, above link) is the
> exact one for the card and it is still at 32....so that takes care of the
> problem...thanks to both of you..charlie

Ah, I get it now.

I couldn't figure out where the 32 colors could come from.
It's 32 bit, or "millions of colors" mode.

Paul