Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > [NEWS] TelstraClear Unmetered Weekend

[NEWS] TelstraClear Unmetered Weekend

Stephen Worthington

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 10:13:54 +1300, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Your Name)
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Stephen
>Worthington <(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
>>
>> Wrong. Completely wrong. If you already bought the DVD or software
>> before those terms were presented to you, then they have no legal
>> standing. I repeat, if you make a contract to purchase something, and
>> the seller agrees to sell it to you, then as soon as the money changes
>> hands, what has been agreed to in that contract is all that applies.
>> If there is something different inside the package that was not made
>> part of the contract of sale and purchase, it has no legal standing.
>> So you can ignore anything that says you are agreeing to terms and
>> conditions if they are only presented to you after the sale.
>>
>> Copyright statements made at the start of a DVD are different. They
>> are normally statements informing you about the law that applies, not
>> trying to get you to agree to anything. And, of course, the laws of
>> your country always apply. But often the copyright statements are
>> also wrong, as they are specific to the country of origin. So, as an
>> example, if you play a CD you have bought, and it starts by playing a
>> statement that you are not permitted to convert it to any other form,
>> that is wrong in NZ as here we are permitted by law to format shift
>> CDs.

>Whatever utter garbage you want to delude yourself with. :-\

So you think that one party is able to change the terms of a contract
that has been agreed between two parties? I would really like to do a
deal with you then! I could then change the terms of that contract so
that you owed me $1,0000,000 or so, and of course you would then pay
me!

And so what is your understanding of the copyright law in NZ? If I
were to sell you a CD that had a notice on the back saying that you
were not to copy it or convert it to any other format, and I pointed
out that notice to you before you bought it, would you then still be
able to convert it to MP3 format for use on your mobile phone? The
answer is clearly yes, as the copyright law in NZ says that you can,
and law overrides any contract or agreement you might make. But you
seem to think otherwise, so I would love to know why.

Your Name

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Stephen
Worthington <(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

> So you think that one party is able to change the terms of a contract
> that has been agreed between two parties? I would really like to do a
> deal with you then! I could then change the terms of that contract so
> that you owed me $1,0000,000 or so, and of course you would then pay
> me!
>
> And so what is your understanding of the copyright law in NZ? If I
> were to sell you a CD that had a notice on the back saying that you
> were not to copy it or convert it to any other format, and I pointed
> out that notice to you before you bought it, would you then still be
> able to convert it to MP3 format for use on your mobile phone? The
> answer is clearly yes, as the copyright law in NZ says that you can,
> and law overrides any contract or agreement you might make. But you
> seem to think otherwise, so I would love to know why.

Whatever utter garbage you want to delude yourself with. :-\

victor

On 4/12/2011 10:11 a.m., Your Name wrote:
> In article<(E-Mail Removed) >, Frank Williams
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Total Joke
>>

>> Since this morning have not been able to Dnload any large file, keep
>> getting no network or lockups plus IE8 crashing, I must set my Default
>> to Opera.
>>
>> The network is almost at a stand still
>>
>> This site use to give me about 200-350KBs now only 41KBs.

> If you want a total joke Internet provider, then join Vodafone. It would
> take a week before they even acknowledge the problem and start looking
> into it, and then probably another two weeks (all the while being told
> there is no problem or the fault is with your computer) before you're
> eventually told they won't be bothering to fix it. :-\

Whatever utter garbage you want to delude yourself with. :-\

David Empson

victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 3/12/2011 4:56 p.m., Gordon wrote:
> > On 2011-12-02, Frank Williams<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>

> >> Not so hot runs like a Dog on Cable as you share with the whole street.
> >>

> >> A 20 min Dnload is taking more than 4 hours.

> > Heck, Roger sticks to the thread topic. Common people, anyone else getting
> > slowed down. Let us do a straw poll.

> Yup, people who have paid for their data capacity and speed in advance
> are getting dial up speed or worse for two days

Hardly. I did one download on Friday evening where I paid attention to
the speed: it was going at about 60 KB/s, compared to normal
expectations of maybe 300 KB/s around that time of day from the same
server.

That's annoyingly slow by normal standards, but still at least ten times
faster than dialup.

It seemed fine when I did another download late at night - I was getting
400 KB/s or thereabouts.

Latency may have been more of a problem than throughput, but I didn't do
any proper tests so can't put a figure on it.

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)

Your Name

In article <jbf9lk$jtq$(E-Mail Removed)>, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 4/12/2011 10:11 a.m., Your Name wrote:
> > In article<(E-Mail Removed) >, Frank Williams
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Total Joke
> >>
> >> Since this morning have not been able to Dnload any large file, keep
> >> getting no network or lockups plus IE8 crashing, I must set my Default
> >> to Opera.
> >>
> >> The network is almost at a stand still
> >>
> >> This site use to give me about 200-350KBs now only 41KBs.

> > If you want a total joke Internet provider, then join Vodafone. It would
> > take a week before they even acknowledge the problem and start looking
> > into it, and then probably another two weeks (all the while being told
> > there is no problem or the fault is with your computer) before you're
> > eventually told they won't be bothering to fix it. :-\

> Whatever utter garbage you want to delude yourself with. :-\

Fact: People using Mac OS 9 and earlier can not even log on to
Vodafone dial-up accounts. Vodafone refuses point-blank to
fix their servers. It took them a month to finally admit
there was a problem and that they will not fix it.

Fact: Email suffers from intermittent problems where emails
simply disppear or get bounced back without even an
attempt at being sent, and Vodafone can't even work out
why, let alone fix it.

To name just two current issues they refuse / have no ability to fix.

Fact: Vodafone is the only ISP in the country (out of the main
ones) with such hopelessly bad "service" and IS the
biggest joke of an ISP.

Stephen Worthington

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 17:44:30 +1300, (E-Mail Removed) (Your Name)
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Stephen
>Worthington <(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
>>
>> So you think that one party is able to change the terms of a contract
>> that has been agreed between two parties? I would really like to do a
>> deal with you then! I could then change the terms of that contract so
>> that you owed me $1,0000,000 or so, and of course you would then pay
>> me!
>>
>> And so what is your understanding of the copyright law in NZ? If I
>> were to sell you a CD that had a notice on the back saying that you
>> were not to copy it or convert it to any other format, and I pointed
>> out that notice to you before you bought it, would you then still be
>> able to convert it to MP3 format for use on your mobile phone? The
>> answer is clearly yes, as the copyright law in NZ says that you can,
>> and law overrides any contract or agreement you might make. But you
>> seem to think otherwise, so I would love to know why.

>Whatever utter garbage you want to delude yourself with. :-\

So tell me specifically what I have wrong then. But of course, you
can't do that, since I am right.

Your Name

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Stephen
Worthington <(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 17:44:30 +1300, (E-Mail Removed) (Your Name)
> wrote:
>
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Stephen
> >Worthington <(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
> >>
> >> So you think that one party is able to change the terms of a contract
> >> that has been agreed between two parties? I would really like to do a
> >> deal with you then! I could then change the terms of that contract so
> >> that you owed me $1,0000,000 or so, and of course you would then pay
> >> me!
> >>
> >> And so what is your understanding of the copyright law in NZ? If I
> >> were to sell you a CD that had a notice on the back saying that you
> >> were not to copy it or convert it to any other format, and I pointed
> >> out that notice to you before you bought it, would you then still be
> >> able to convert it to MP3 format for use on your mobile phone? The
> >> answer is clearly yes, as the copyright law in NZ says that you can,
> >> and law overrides any contract or agreement you might make. But you
> >> seem to think otherwise, so I would love to know why.

> >Whatever utter garbage you want to delude yourself with. :-\

> So tell me specifically what I have wrong then. But of course, you
> can't do that, since I am right.

Ignorance may be bliss, but ignorance is not a legal defence ... but you
continue to believe what utter garbage you want to delude yourself with.
:-\.

victor

On 5/12/2011 7:23 p.m., Your Name wrote:
> In article<(E-Mail Removed) >, Stephen
> Worthington<(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_number s> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 17:44:30 +1300, (E-Mail Removed) (Your Name)
>> wrote:

>>> Whatever utter garbage you want to delude yourself with. :-\

>> So tell me specifically what I have wrong then. But of course, you
>> can't do that, since I am right.

> Ignorance may be bliss, but ignorance is not a legal defence ... but you
> continue to believe what utter garbage you want to delude yourself with.
> :-\.

The ignorance is all yours
Read the copyright act, as Stephen obviously has.
One of the features that Apple, Amazon, Audible.com Google etc have now
found is buy once use everywhere on multiple devices, to offer you
downloads from your library of purchased items in a format that suits
your iphone or your kindle or to burn to CD. There is no way they can
stop you from doing it yourself so they encourage you to stay in their
store while you do it.

Your Name