Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Netflix rules out Kiwi launch

Netflix rules out Kiwi launch

Frank Williams

Your Name

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Frank Williams
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11...says_no_to_nz/

That was in the NZ Herald either last week or on Saturday. The reason
they've pulled out is the idiotic data caps and hopeless "broadband"
network here in New Zealand ... something we all already knew about.

Donchano

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 16:28:05 +1300, Frank Williams
<(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11...says_no_to_nz/

Netflix rules out Kiwi launch

Broadband is crap, can't get the rights

By Natalie Apostolou Get more from this author

Posted in Business, 28th November 2011 21:33 GMT

Netflix has rejected New Zealand as a potential international launch
spot because of low internet data caps and content rights issues.

Attending the ITEX business tech summit in Auckland, New Zealand,
Netflix VP of product innovation Brent Ayrey told local media that
Netflix had no intention of launching in New Zealand.

Ayrey said that by next year the average US Netflix customer would
need a data cap of one terabyte a month, adding that New Zealand ISPs
do not currently offer those kinds of data caps.

"Generally when we look at potential markets, metered broadband is a
deterrent, expat Kiwi Ayrey said.

New Zealand's broadband infrastructure was also an issue for Netflix
and he raised concerns about its capacity to handle Netflix traffic,
which currently accounts for 33 percent of all downstream internet
traffic in the US.

The way we think about our international opportunities is that its a
little bit tactical in terms of the content we can access, and then
its about broadband connectivity.

"It's really a function of do people watch TV? Do we have the content?
Does the internet infrastructure work? The answer for at least the
last question for New Zealanders is no."

In June Netflix founder Reed Hastings said that the Asia Pacific would
be a very important zone in its international expansion plans. Since
then speculation about where and when the video streamer would emerge
has waxed and waned with its share price.

Netflix has opened in Canada and Latin American and last week raised
$US400m in fresh capital ahead of launching into the UK market in
2012.

"Over the next couple of years we have to go country by country by
country by country around the globe," Hastings said earlier in the
year.

Rich80105@hotmail.com

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 18:12:33 +1300, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Your Name)
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Frank Williams
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11...says_no_to_nz/

>That was in the NZ Herald either last week or on Saturday. The reason
>they've pulled out is the idiotic data caps and hopeless "broadband"
>network here in New Zealand ... something we all already knew about.

National have done a go slow on UF Broadband, and done nothing about
gaining additional bandwidth in and out of New Zealand.

Every day brings yet another example of a National Party failure . . .

victor

On 29/11/2011 8:02 p.m., (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 18:12:33 +1300, (E-Mail Removed) (Your Name)
> wrote:
>
>> In article<(E-Mail Removed) >, Frank Williams
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11...says_no_to_nz/

>> That was in the NZ Herald either last week or on Saturday. The reason
>> they've pulled out is the idiotic data caps and hopeless "broadband"
>> network here in New Zealand ... something we all already knew about.

> National have done a go slow on UF Broadband, and done nothing about
> gaining additional bandwidth in and out of New Zealand.
>
> Every day brings yet another example of a National Party failure . . .

What *******s, netflix doesn't need any extra international bandwidth
capacity, it can all be cached in NZ.
Most places netflix is available don't have fiber, and the service could
easily be delivered over Telecoms FTTN network.
Telecom would just have to partner with Netflix to allow Netflix content
through un metered.
It is all completely solvable without government intervention.
The problem is the copyright licensing.

misanthropic_curmudgeon

On Nov 29, 8:21*pm, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 29/11/2011 8:02 p.m., (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 18:12:33 +1300, (E-Mail Removed) (Your Name)
> > wrote:

> >> That was in the NZ Herald either last week or on Saturday. The reason
> >> they've pulled out is the idiotic data caps and hopeless "broadband"
> >> network here in New Zealand ... something we all already knew about. *

> > National have done a go slow on UF Broadband, and done nothing about
> > gaining additional bandwidth in and out of New Zealand.

> > Every day brings yet another example of a National Party failure . . .

> What *******s, netflix doesn't need any extra international bandwidth
> capacity, it can all be cached in NZ.
> Most places netflix is available don't have fiber, and the service could
> easily be delivered over Telecoms FTTN network.
> Telecom would just have to partner with Netflix to allow Netflix content
> through un metered.

You are aware that at the mention of netflic and 'fibre', you stepped
up into the realm of "advanced technical skills" insofar as rich-bot
in concerned?

Rich-bot is, afterall, the person who cant click on a cached Google
search result or even get a YouTube link to work, and thinks doing the
former is "advanced technical skills".

JohnO

On Nov 29, 8:02*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 18:12:33 +1300, (E-Mail Removed) (Your Name)
> wrote:
>
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Frank Williams
> ><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11...says_no_to_nz/

> >That was in the NZ Herald either last week or on Saturday. The reason
> >they've pulled out is the idiotic data caps and hopeless "broadband"
> >network here in New Zealand ... something we all already knew about. *

> National have done a go slow on UF Broadband, and done nothing about
> gaining additional bandwidth in and out of New Zealand.
>
> Every day brings yet another example of a National Party failure . . .

Speaking of failure, what did the public think of Labour in the
election, Dickbot?

JohnO

On Nov 29, 8:21*pm, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 29/11/2011 8:02 p.m., (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 18:12:33 +1300, (E-Mail Removed) (Your Name)
> > wrote:

> >> That was in the NZ Herald either last week or on Saturday. The reason
> >> they've pulled out is the idiotic data caps and hopeless "broadband"
> >> network here in New Zealand ... something we all already knew about. *

> > National have done a go slow on UF Broadband, and done nothing about
> > gaining additional bandwidth in and out of New Zealand.

> > Every day brings yet another example of a National Party failure . . .

> What *******s, netflix doesn't need any extra international bandwidth
> capacity, it can all be cached in NZ.
> Most places netflix is available don't have fiber, and the service could
> easily be delivered over Telecoms FTTN network.
> Telecom would just have to partner with Netflix to allow Netflix content
> through un metered.
> It is all completely solvable without government intervention.
> The problem is the copyright licensing.

What is the status of AppleTV these days? That is a nice looking
product, and the movie cost is about the same as renting. But at 30Gb
for an HD movie download the current plans would kill it.

As you say, Victor, there'd be no problem if the content was held
locally. Note that partner ISPs of SkyTV exempt iSky traffic from
their caps.

JohnO

On Nov 29, 8:21*pm, victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 29/11/2011 8:02 p.m., (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 18:12:33 +1300, (E-Mail Removed) (Your Name)
> > wrote:

> >> That was in the NZ Herald either last week or on Saturday. The reason
> >> they've pulled out is the idiotic data caps and hopeless "broadband"
> >> network here in New Zealand ... something we all already knew about. *

> > National have done a go slow on UF Broadband, and done nothing about
> > gaining additional bandwidth in and out of New Zealand.

> > Every day brings yet another example of a National Party failure . . .

> What *******s, netflix doesn't need any extra international bandwidth
> capacity, it can all be cached in NZ.

Yeah - they'd just need a local proxy server. Easy.

> Most places netflix is available don't have fiber, and the service could
> easily be delivered over Telecoms FTTN network.
> Telecom would just have to partner with Netflix to allow Netflix content
> through un metered.
> It is all completely solvable without government intervention.
> The problem is the copyright licensing.

Liberty

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 11:17:39 -0800 (PST), JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Nov 29, 8:02*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 18:12:33 +1300, (E-Mail Removed) (Your Name)
>> wrote:

>> >That was in the NZ Herald either last week or on Saturday. The reason
>> >they've pulled out is the idiotic data caps and hopeless "broadband"
>> >network here in New Zealand ... something we all already knew about. *

>> National have done a go slow on UF Broadband, and done nothing about
>> gaining additional bandwidth in and out of New Zealand.
>>
>> Every day brings yet another example of a National Party failure . . .

>Speaking of failure, what did the public think of Labour in the
>election, Dickbot?

Lobour supporters didn't think a lot. Mostly ran off to Winny the
poo and the Greens.
Now Peters and the Greens have a grand delusion they are popular.

anyone using kiwi syslog? jcharth@hotmail.com Cisco 3 10-20-2005 07:02 PM
Kiwi Syslog Someone Cisco 2 10-13-2005 05:57 AM
rules for Cisco PIX 525 firewall rules KAS Cisco 2 10-02-2005 07:12 PM
Kiwi Alpha Omega Jim Computer Support 9 12-09-2004 04:12 AM
New Zealand Rules the Oscars...!! ...(a great day for Kiwi film) Max Christoffersen DVD Video 4 03-06-2004 07:09 PM

Advertisments