Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > What replaces log4py under Python 3.2?

What replaces log4py under Python 3.2?

Rob Richardson

Greetings!

My company has been using the log4py library for a long time. A co-worker recently installed Python 3.2, and log4py will no longer compile. (OK, I know that's the wrong word, but you know what I mean.) What logging packageshould be used now?

Thank you.

RobR

Irmen de Jong

On 22-11-11 19:32, Rob Richardson wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> My company has been using the log4py library for a long time. A co-worker recently installed Python 3.2, and log4py will no longer compile. (OK, I know that's the wrong word, but you know what I mean.) What logging package should be used now?

The logging module from Python's stdlib?
http://docs.python.org/py3k/library/logging.html

Irmen

Rob Richardson

Thank you for that link.

Our customers are used to the rotating log file capability of the log4py package. I did not see anything in that link that talks about rotating log files (changing file name when the date changes, and saving a limited numberof old log files). Is that possible using the stdlib logging package? Isthere something else available that will do that, so we don't have to rollour own (or, more likely, stick to Python 2.7, for which log4py works)?

Thanks again!

RobR

On 22-11-11 19:32, Rob Richardson wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> My company has been using the log4py library for a long time. A co-worker recently installed Python 3.2, and log4py will no longer compile. (OK, Iknow that's the wrong word, but you know what I mean.) What logging package should be used now?

The logging module from Python's stdlib?
http://docs.python.org/py3k/library/logging.html

Irmen

On 22-11-11 19:32, Rob Richardson wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> My company has been using the log4py library for a long time. A co-worker recently installed Python 3.2, and log4py will no longer compile. (OK, Iknow that's the wrong word, but you know what I mean.) What logging package should be used now?

The logging module from Python's stdlib?
http://docs.python.org/py3k/library/logging.html

Irmen

Peter Otten

Rob Richardson wrote:

> Our customers are used to the rotating log file capability of the log4py
> package. I did not see anything in that link that talks about rotating
> log files (changing file name when the date changes, and saving a limited
> number of old log files). Is that possible using the stdlib logging
> package?

How about

http://docs.python.org/py3k/library/...ingfilehandler

Alec Taylor

zing!

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 1:18 AM, Peter Otten <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Rob Richardson wrote:
>
>> Our customers are used to the rotating log file capability of the log4py
>> package. *I did not see anything in that link that talks about rotating
>> log files (changing file name when the date changes, and saving a limited
>> number of old log files). *Is that possible using the stdlib logging
>> package?

> How about
>
> http://docs.python.org/py3k/library/...ingfilehandler

RE: log4py confusion Rob Richardson Python 0 12-13-2012 08:05 PM
RE: log4py confusion Rob Richardson Python 0 12-13-2012 07:51 PM
Re: log4py confusion MRAB Python 0 12-13-2012 07:35 PM
what replaces #include in .Net? David ASP .Net 8 07-02-2004 04:40 PM
What replaces RMI? Robert Mazur Java 3 02-06-2004 03:07 PM

Advertisments