Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > My Newegg Experience

My Newegg Experience

Katie Langley

I purchased five Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/
s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (Item #:*N82E16822136514) on
09/26/11 $349.95 ($69.99 ea). In the past year I have purchased at
least 10 of the exact same drives from Amazon.com, they have always
arrived individually packaged, worked without any issues, and not one
has failed. I wanted to use my Paypal account, so I purchased these
drives from Newegg.com. BIG MISTAKE!!!

The five drives arrived in a piece of Styrofoam that appeared to have
been ripped from a larger piece of Styrofoam. The plastic wrapping
each drive was pierced, ripped, and torn. They appeared as if a
machine had used sharp tongs to pull them from shelves. These drives
are made of hard plastic and even the plastic was dented and pressed
in on several of the drives.

ONLY TWO OF THE FIVE DRIVES WORKED upon receipt!!! Two drives did not
mount in my PC. I tried all four of my internal bays and an external
Thermaltake. Finally, I got one of the drives to mount successfully.
So, that brings me to the last drive. It arrived with all of the SATA
pins BENT! Not just a little bent but majorly bent. If you received
five drives, and only two worked upon receipt would you feel
comfortable using the three that did work??? I was only going to try
to return the two that were unquestionably damaged and defective, so
there would be no gray area. I was hoping this would make the whole
process easier than trying to return all the drives. I had
reservations about the other three, especially the one I had to mount
several times and it blue screened my system upon several start ups,
but compromised and decided to use them as backup drives.

Newegg doesn't make returns an easy process. I started a Live Chat to
explain the situation and request a return. After twenty minutes of
explaining and trying to defend myself, the representative finally
issued a RMA. The rep couldn't seem to understand the drives were
damaged before I received them, and that I did not damage them. I am a
professional photographer and my whole business is dependent upon data
management. I care for and maintain my internal hard drives just as I
do for my three $5,000 camera bodies.

Using the RMA and Newegg label on 10/31/11 I returned the two HD's to
Newegg in the same packaging in which they were shipped to me. On
11/16/11 they arrive in a Newegg box with a wad of brown paper in the
bottom and some bubble wrap on top. The plastic packaging was not on
the drives, and they were sliding around on each other. It appeared as
if someone threw them in the box. There was no receipt or
communication as to what was going on or documentation on my Newegg
account history.

I called Newegg and spoke with a representative for thirty minutes.
The representative was calm, professional and checked in with me when
she put me on hold. She called me back after our call was
disconnected. Impressive! I thanked her for her professionalism. I had
to re-explain the whole situation. They rep would put me on hold to
get advice from a supervisor. I was told to get a refund from the
manufacture. I explained that I did not buy theses from the
manufacturer. After explaining and re-explaining they were damaged
before I received them the first time, and requesting to speak with
the supervisor, they came up with the second attempt for Newegg to NOT
take responsibility. They wanted to blame UPS for leaving the package
at my front door when it was raining WHEN THE DRIVES WERE RETURNED TO
ME (thrown in the box with not plastic packaging). They said they
would settle the claim with UPS. I insisted that I would not be
dishonest about this issue to get a refund! Newegg sold me damaged and
defective drives NOT UPS. OMG!!! WTF????? Now they wanted me to lie
and place blame on UPS. That was the fourth time they asked about UPS
damaging the box. In the Live Chat the rep asked several times if the
box was damaged upon arrival. The rep on the phone asked the same
question at the beginning of the call. Initially, this rep told me to
return the drives to the manufacture. She said, "they will take them
back, it's easy. If it is so easy then why doesn't Newegg take that
responsibility???

It is 11/17/11, I have to package the HDs, drive to a UPS center, and
return the defective HDs again. As a self employed person who already
works 12-15 hour days this has been an exhausting, disappointing and
unnecessary waste of four hours that I could have spent on a Client.
Who knows if they will be shipped back to me or if the situation is
resolved? I encourage you to save yourself the same hassles. I WILL
NEVER ORDER FROM NEWEGG AGAIN, AND WILL TELL EVERYONE I KNOW ABOUT
THIS EXPERIENCE.

Boone, NC

Baron

Katie Langley Inscribed thus:

Welcome to the club !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Paul

Katie Langley wrote:
> I purchased five Western Digital Caviar Green Hard Drive

<< ... tales of Internet sales shenanigans snipped>>

> Boone, NC

But this is a well known issue. Reading the review postings
from customers, on the Newegg site, will warn you that Newegg
simply doesn't know how to pack stuff. It's been like this
for a while now. Drives flopping around in the box, is a
common complaint.

When I buy drives, I buy them from a local supplier. They
come out of a larger packing box, as provided by Seagate
or WDC. The clerk at the store pulls an OEM drive from the
box, while I'm watching. If there were any issues with
cosmetic damage (torn ESD bag), I can speak up right away.

I've never had a problem with a drive bought that way.

You really need to find how the various retailers handle
their products - when you find one who gets the details
right, I expect you're going to find your results a bit
different.

One other retailer in town, puts hard drives "on a nail"
on the wall, which is just asking for trouble. You can't
expect Joe Six Pack to take care, when pulling a drive
off a wall display nail. So something in that store, could
have been dropped multiple times, and you'd never know it.

To be fair, the packaging is pretty good. This is an example
of a drive packaged for wall display. This store also carried
3.5" drives packaged this way. There are two layers of
plastic, an outer shell and an inner shell. And the space
between them, is for shock absorption. It's fun cutting
the packaging with scissors, to get the drive out...

http://www.futureshop.ca/multimedia/...9/10099566.jpg

*******

In some cases, when you buy things over the Internet, you
have to use your own craft and cunning, to avoid trouble.
For example, if you buy a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)
that weighs 50lb., you don't put it on the same order
as a couple disk drives. Because they'll put the whole
lot into a larger box, and the UPS will flop around inside
the box, crushing things. I've read many amusing tales
of how much damage a UPS can do, including the UPS even
breaking solid metal structural members inside itself. Have
a careful look at your order first, to make sure the object
mass and size mix, isn't courting disaster. Even companies
that pack intelligently, will have a problem getting a UPS
shipped to you in one piece.

When I needed a UPS, I went to a big box store in town,
visited the UPS section, and picked through the boxes on
the display shelf, until I could find one with "less damage".
None of them were completely free of damage to the cardboard.
But at least I can eyeball them, and see if I want to do
business with the store or not. Less of a mystery as
to what I'm getting, and more convenient returns, if
it is actually damaged inside.

Paul

housetrained

"Katie Langley" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

[...]

stick with Amazon, you can't lose!
housetrained

Loonie

On 21/11/2011 00:00, Alex Clayton wrote:
> "Katie Langley" wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> I purchased five Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/
> snip
> NEVER ORDER FROM NEWEGG AGAIN, AND WILL TELL EVERYONE I KNOW ABOUT
> THIS EXPERIENCE.
>
> Boone, NC

It seems that the now RottonNewEgg should be abandoned.

Bye bye RottonNewEgg!!!

James D Andrews

Loonie embroidered on the monitor :
> On 21/11/2011 00:00, Alex Clayton wrote:
>> "Katie Langley" wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> I purchased five Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/
>> snip
>> NEVER ORDER FROM NEWEGG AGAIN, AND WILL TELL EVERYONE I KNOW ABOUT
>> THIS EXPERIENCE.
>>
>> Boone, NC

> It seems that the now RottonNewEgg should be abandoned.
>
> Bye bye RottonNewEgg!!!

I have been buying from Newegg for years now, not quite but almost
exclusively, and even though I've complained about slow delivery on a
product, which is quite opposite of their norm, I have to step up in
defense.

Newegg is just a web store. They don't make the products.

The only time I received a defective product, I was able to RMA easily
and at no additional cost. I had a replacement quickly.

One of Newegg's best features is the customer reviews. Taking the time
to read these thoroughly before you buy can give you a good idea of the
fail rate of products, the particular quirks or incompatibilities. I
frequently come across a complaint review and see that people often
complain that a product doesn't do something it wasn't designed to do
in the first place.

The Newegg listings also give more detailed information than most web
stores. A lack of useable information outside of the basic description
is one of my biggest complaints with most products purchased online.

If I have any lasting complaint with Newegg, it would be the one size
fits all packaging. There's nothing quite like getting a part that's
only a few inches packed in a big box. But on the other hand, these
are usually better bounce-proofed than items stuffed into bubble
mailers.

As for defective products, that is an unfortunate experience. I hope
that anyone experiencing such problems takes the time to post this to
the Newegg reviews to help others make informed decisions.

--
-There are some who call me...
Jim

"Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes."
- Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

Griping and whining: worst Newegg shipping experience ever James D Andrews Computer Information 7 07-08-2011 04:39 AM
Check out how Newegg works, and maybe win an AMD CPU! bigal Front Page News 6 02-18-2006 02:54 AM
And I thought newegg had GOOD prices.... Silverstrand The Lounge 22 02-15-2006 08:19 AM
Newegg claw Computer Support 8 09-28-2004 04:13 PM
Good Experience with NewEgg Doc Digital Photography 7 11-27-2003 04:40 PM

Advertisments