Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Flooding in Thailand and price of HDDs in NZ

Flooding in Thailand and price of HDDs in NZ

~misfit~

The last three HDDs I bought:

May '11 WD Scorpio Black 320GB $96 Now $179
Oct '11 WD Scorpio Blue IDE 160GB $110 Now $184

But the big mover:

Oct '11 Seagate 7200.12 1TB $86 Now $213

I hear rumblings that it's not going to get much better for maybe 12 months.

--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Gordon

On 2011-11-16, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The last three HDDs I bought:
>
> May '11 WD Scorpio Black 320GB $96 Now $179
> Oct '11 WD Scorpio Blue IDE 160GB $110 Now $184
>
> But the big mover:
>
> Oct '11 Seagate 7200.12 1TB $86 Now $213
>
> I hear rumblings that it's not going to get much better for maybe 12 months.

Your headline is wrong misfit. HD prices have increased globally.

Yes, if a factory has been flooded out, then how long does it take to get up
to full production again?

We also have the problem of buying high and needing to sell high. Think
petrol prices.

This is a case of where supply and demand is actually working according to
theory. Just like memory prices have for years.

SSD's get (more) competitive, which might mean the end to all HD factories
going back to HD. Once again, think RAM. The previous version became more
expensive than the new version, as more factories went to the new version.

Market forces, Bugger, I did not buy a heap six months ago.;-

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
> On 2011-11-16, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> The last three HDDs I bought:
>>
>> May '11 WD Scorpio Black 320GB $96 Now $179
>> Oct '11 WD Scorpio Blue IDE 160GB $110 Now $184
>>
>> But the big mover:
>>
>> Oct '11 Seagate 7200.12 1TB $86 Now $213
>>
>> I hear rumblings that it's not going to get much better for maybe 12
>> months.

> Your headline is wrong misfit. HD prices have increased globally.

I know that but I have no hard evidence of specific prices for "the world"
like I do for NZ.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storage...ough_2012.html

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storage...pply_Dell.html

> Market forces, Bugger, I did not buy a heap six months ago.;-

Heh! Yeah, I bought the drives that I knew I needed soon [next few months]
and could justify putting (some of the funds) on credit when I realised that
prices were going to go up. I just didn't realise *how much* they were going
up or I'd have bought a few more as investments. Especially that 1GB Seagate
I bought as a boot drive for my 'server', from $86 to $213? Crazy!

The last 80GB IDE laptop drive I bought was $78. Now they're $166. <shakes
head>
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Seagull

"~misfit~" wrote in message news:ja57e9$dla$(E-Mail Removed)...

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
> On 2011-11-16, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> The last three HDDs I bought:
>>
>> May '11 WD Scorpio Black 320GB $96 Now $179
>> Oct '11 WD Scorpio Blue IDE 160GB $110 Now $184
>>
>> But the big mover:
>>
>> Oct '11 Seagate 7200.12 1TB $86 Now $213
>>
>> I hear rumblings that it's not going to get much better for maybe 12
>> months.

> Your headline is wrong misfit. HD prices have increased globally.

I know that but I have no hard evidence of specific prices for "the world"
like I do for NZ.

> Yes, if a factory has been flooded out, then how long does it take to
> get up to full production again?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storage...ough_2012.html

> We also have the problem of buying high and needing to sell high.
> Think petrol prices.
>
> This is a case of where supply and demand is actually working
> according to theory. Just like memory prices have for years.
>
> SSD's get (more) competitive, which might mean the end to all HD
> factories going back to HD. Once again, think RAM. The previous
> version became more expensive than the new version, as more factories
> went to the new version.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storage...pply_Dell.html

> Market forces, Bugger, I did not buy a heap six months ago.;-

Heh! Yeah, I bought the drives that I knew I needed soon [next few months]
and could justify putting (some of the funds) on credit when I realised that
prices were going to go up. I just didn't realise *how much* they were going
up or I'd have bought a few more as investments. Especially that 1GB Seagate
I bought as a boot drive for my 'server', from $86 to $213? Crazy!

The last 80GB IDE laptop drive I bought was $78. Now they're $166. <shakes
head>
--
Shaun.
Hah Shaun! I thought you should know the you have got me into some trouble.
(

I have several compact, medium spec Desktop PCs sitting around here I am
supposed to be setting up as HTPCs and a couple of them lack storage
drives.
I had put them aside in the hopes of HDDs getting cheaper. I had not looked
at prices for a couple of months, so your original post pressed my panic
button.

I took a quick look via price spy and decided that cannibalising an external
1 TB Seagate Expansion drive from Tricky Dicky for $97 was the only bargain
price drive still available.
I looked again the next morning and the price had gone up to $134! Anyways
I fronted up at the local store and they sold me one at yesterdays price.

It only when I had started to try and crack the case that I thought to check
reviews etc, and I found several references to problems with these drives
failing.
There is one thread that has 400 odd posts most confirming a deadly "Click
of Death". My original thought was in case of trouble just return the drive
to its external case and make
a warranty claim but the stupidly designed case has 8 little clips that
break off no matter how carefully the case is opened. So a warranty claim
will now be difficult I am guessing.

The saving grace (I hope) is that it seems it is either the power supply or
the USB connection that causes the problems and the drive performs OK if
installed in a desktop, so here's hoping?

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Seagull wrote:
> "~misfit~" wrote in message news:ja57e9$dla$(E-Mail Removed)...

[snip]
> The last 80GB IDE laptop drive I bought was $78. Now they're $166.
> <shakes head>

<quote Seagull>
[...]

</quote>

Bugger! Yeah, well, let's hope that you're right and it *is* the PSU or
USB - SATA bridge that causes the issues - it likely is I'd say. Good Luck.

Incidently, I sold an old 80GB Seagate 7200.10 SATA drive yesterday for $80.
I probably could have got more but it was a mate, setting up a PC for his
folks using his old gear (he upgraded mobo/CPU/RAM/graphics a couple months
ago) and he had no idea of what was going on with HDD prices. He needed a
SATA drive and had intended to just throw a sub-$100 1TB drive in, like I
bought last month. However when he looked at prices he got a hell of shock.

He came around here after he'd been to the local Dick Smith store. They no
longer show internal HDDs on their web site but some stores have old stock
and, as it was a weekend, here in Pukekohe it was the only local option. All
they had was a 40GB SATA internal HDD and they wanted $240 for it! That's
when he came around here and asked if I had a spare drive he could buy to
finish the project.

To be honest I didn't want to part with that drive. Like you I could have
used it to throw into a second-hand desktop to make a saleable machine.
However he was desperate and I said "make me an offer" and he said $80 so I
took it. <shrug> Unfortunately I'm not in a position to be any more generous
than that (not haggling over the price).

I see that the Trademe community didn't take long to hike the prices up too.
If you were sitting on a stack of decent second-hand HDDs you could make a
few bucks. In fact, in a P4 or early dual-core machine the HDD's probably
worth more than the whole machine right now. Crazy!
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

~misfit~

LOL!!!!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/c...-423588722.htm

Insane! $150 for a used 40GB IDE HDD.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

~misfit~

The things you see when you don't have any money available to invest.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/c...-425229409.htm

$25 per 250GB enterprise-class near-new HDD. Nice little single-disc fast
HDDs. The way things are going there's a nice wee profit to be made by
someone there, split them up and sell them singly.

Time for bed...
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Your Name

On 2011-11-16, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The last three HDDs I bought:
>
> May '11 WD Scorpio Black 320GB $96 Now $179
> Oct '11 WD Scorpio Blue IDE 160GB $110 Now $184
>
> But the big mover:
>
> Oct '11 Seagate 7200.12 1TB $86 Now $213
>
> I hear rumblings that it's not going to get much better for maybe 12
> months.

External drives seem to be the same price at the moment, in fact they've
been going down. You can get a 1TB external drive for about $89-$99 when
the same model used to be about $120. Just buy one of those and rip the
drive out if the case.

Frank Williams

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 09:01:35 +1300, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Your Name)
wrote:

>On 2011-11-16, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> The last three HDDs I bought:
>>
>> May '11 WD Scorpio Black 320GB $96 Now $179
>> Oct '11 WD Scorpio Blue IDE 160GB $110 Now $184
>>
>> But the big mover:
>>
>> Oct '11 Seagate 7200.12 1TB $86 Now $213
>>
>> I hear rumblings that it's not going to get much better for maybe 12
>> months.

>External drives seem to be the same price at the moment, in fact they've
>been going down. You can get a 1TB external drive for about $89-$99 when
>the same model used to be about $120. Just buy one of those and rip the
>drive out if the case.

So well known for NZ as its a country for market rip offs high prices.

Check overseas prices and see if they have gone up the same, I don't
think so.

Margins are very high here and some times reduced warranties, the flow
on affect would not have reached here due to our low volumes, so
Importers can make any accuse to raise there margins, Kiwis are so
gullible and they know it..

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
> On 21/11/2011 10:46 a.m., Frank Williams wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 09:01:35 +1300, (E-Mail Removed) (Your Name)
>> wrote:

>>> External drives seem to be the same price at the moment, in fact
>>> they've been going down. You can get a 1TB external drive for about
>>> $89-$99 when the same model used to be about $120. Just buy one of
>>> those and rip the drive out if the case.

>> So well known for NZ as its a country for market rip offs high
>> prices. Check overseas prices and see if they have gone up the same, I
>> don't
>> think so.
>>
>> Margins are very high here and some times reduced warranties, the
>> flow on affect would not have reached here due to our low volumes, so
>> Importers can make any accuse to raise there margins, Kiwis are so
>> gullible and they know it..

> You're full of it as usual Woger. A quick google shows NZ as on a par
> with Aus and the UK for HDDs. Now how about a nice apology you
> whinging old prick?

Yup, that's why the silly old **** is in my killfile. One of the first signs
of increased HDD prices that caught my eye was folks in the US complaining
of places like Newegg doubling their prices long before new stock could
actually get to them (as in they were increasing the price of pre-bought
HDDs in anticipation, within two days of the floods hitting). *That's* when
I started checking NZ prices and bought a couple drives. We were actually
quite a bit slower at feeling the price hike here.