Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > How do you install expat and XML::Parser on Mac OS x?

How do you install expat and XML::Parser on Mac OS x?

Dwight Army of Champions

I am trying to install XML:arser, and I understand that before I do
that I have to install expat. I launch a Terminal window and type
"sudo port install expat" and that gives the following output:

---> Fetching archive for expat
---> Attempting to fetch expat-2.0.1_1.darwin_10.x86_64.tbz2 from
http://packages.macports.org/expat
---> Fetching expat
---> Attempting to fetch expat-2.0.1.tar.gz from
http://ykf.ca.distfiles.macports.org...istfiles/expat
---> Verifying checksum(s) for expat
---> Extracting expat
---> Configuring expat
---> Building expat
---> Staging expat into destroot
---> Installing expat @2.0.1_1
---> Activating expat @2.0.1_1
---> Cleaning expat

I then type "port installed" and "expat @2.0.1_1 (active)" appears. So
far so good. I then try to install XML:arser. I downloaded XML-
Parser-2.41.tar.gz. I cd to my Downloads folder and type in "gzip -d
XML-Parser-2.41.tar.gz" and "tar xvf XML-Parser-2.41.tar.gz" and that
creates a directory called XML-Parser-2.41. I cd to that directory and
type "perl Makefile.pl" and I receive the following error message:

Expat must be installed prior to building XML:arser and I can't find
it in the standard library directories. Install 'expat-devel' package
with your OS package manager. See 'README'.

I try to install expat-devel by typing in "sudo port install expat-
devel" but that gives an error message "Error: Port expat-devel not
found." I am completely at a loss here. Where am I going wrong?