Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: OT: Cheap clamshell phone (ie flipphone) that works on the XTnetwork.

Re: OT: Cheap clamshell phone (ie flipphone) that works on the XTnetwork.

Richard

On 11/12/2011 2:47 PM, Crash McBash wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 09:23:29 +1300, Robert Cooze
> <c_o-o_z-e_r-b_@-c-o-o-z-eD_O_Tc_oD_O_Tnz> wrote:
>
>> On 11/11/11 18:29, Crash McBash wrote:
>>> My wife currently has a clamshell phone that is ideal and meets her
>>> needs exactly - and is linked to our landline through onebill. Telecom
>>> have, however, decided to correct this problem by switching off their
>>> CDMA network ;-(
>>>
>>> The cheapest upgrade from Telecom is a $29 phone but this is not a
>>> clamshell. Their cheapest clamshell is $150. Basically she wants a
>>> clamshell-style phone (because the closed cover protects the keyboard)
>>> that can handle voice calls and txt. No other features are required.
>>>
>>> I have a near-identical phone - the Samsung 1310B but this is not XT
>>> compatible.
>>>
>>> Using Google gives the usual array of either too-expensive or not
>>> suitable phones.
>>>
>>> I am thinking of taking the $29 phone in order to get a SIM with the
>>> same number, swap the SIM to a suitable clamshell phone. This way we
>>> retain the number and the onebill feature using the hardware of her
>>> choice. Note that I have considered buying something like the E1310B
>>> with a Vodafone or 2o SIM and porting the Telecom number to it but we
>>> loose the onebill feature doing this.
>>>
>>> So - any suggestions on a suitable phone? TIA...

>> Ok there is 2 things that come to mind
>>
>> 1) Telecom announced the switch off of the CDMA network over two years
>> ago so why haven't you sorted out a replacement
>>
>> 2) If you are a good customer of Telecom why did they not give you a
>> new phone no charge no questions that met your current usage and
>> requirements.
>>

>> As for me They gave me a new phone about a year and 1/2 ago better than
>> what I was using Plus massive credit. I was planing on upgrading end of
>> last year but when had a minor flat they just upgraded it. I still liked
>> my old phone but new one Is better.
>>
>> Grow up and Talk to a Telecom store manager not a franchise manager they
>> make fantastic deals....

> You make some very offensive assumptions here and both of them are
> off-topic. Assumption no 1 is that my wife has had the phone long
> enough to qualify for the earlier offer. She has. Assumption no 2
> is that there are any free offers around (past or present) that
> include a clamshell phone. There are not and never have been that I
> am aware of.

1. They havent sold phones for ages on CDMA, anyone that has one now
would have bought it so long ago they would be well into the upgrade
period of their contract, if any contract even still applies.

If you bought a used phone then telecom are under no obligation to
upgrade at all.

2. They have had in the past some low cost clamshell phones on offer.
Perhaps they will get some more.

Otherwise look for the samsung rugby, its a rugged clamshell phone that
will mostly work on the XT network except for some services on the
handset that are locked to AT&T - I cant recall if MMS could be made to
work or not, but it sounds like that isnt really an issue from the OP.