Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Working with databases (ODBC and ORMs) in Python 3.2

Working with databases (ODBC and ORMs) in Python 3.2

tkpmep@hotmail.com

We are in the process of trying to decide between Python 2.7 and 3.2
with a view to making a 5-10 year commitment to the right platform,
and would appreciate some guidance on how best to connect to SQL
databases in 3.2. ceODBC 2.01 provides an ODBC driver for Python 3.2,
does anyone have experience using it? Also, are there any ORMs (object
relational mapper)s that work well with 3,2?

Thanks in advance

Thomas Philips

Nathan Rice

For now, get started in Python 2.7. Write code with an eye to 3.x
portability, and you will be fine. You probably won't see 3.x
overtake 2.x for at least 3-4 years, and a decent amount of stuff is
still 2.x only. Since it sounds like you are a windows/net shop, go
ahead and use Iron Python.

SQL Alchemy is your one stop shop. It is basically 3.x compatible,
but see my previous statement about 3.x. I haven't used SQL Alchemy
with SQL Server but honestly, SQL Alchemy is THE showcase python
library -- I doubt you will run into any issues. Just google
"sqlalchemy sql server", I'm sure there's a blog post explaining the
specifics in detail.

Nathan