Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > ObiTalk and Google Voice and/or SIP

ObiTalk and Google Voice and/or SIP

cybuerke

Has anyone else got around to using these together? <http://obihai.com>

A box the size of a fag packet, but it knocks out some top quality
sound. A choice of 2 FXS or 1 FXO and 2 FXS ports plus its own in house
direct box to box or soft phone connection.

No connection with the company - just a well chuffed user.
Cisco/Linksys/Sipura should look to their laurels.

Dave

"cybuerke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone else got around to using these together? <http://obihai.com>
>
> A box the size of a fag packet, but it knocks out some top quality sound.
> A choice of 2 FXS or 1 FXO and 2 FXS ports plus its own in house direct
> box to box or soft phone connection.
>
> No connection with the company - just a well chuffed user.
> Cisco/Linksys/Sipura should look to their laurels.

Is it locked to them or can it be used with any SIP provider ?

cybuerke

On 10/11/11 13:03, Dave wrote:

> "cybuerke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Has anyone else got around to using these together? <http://obihai.com>
>>
>> A box the size of a fag packet, but it knocks out some top quality
>> sound. A choice of 2 FXS or 1 FXO and 2 FXS ports plus its own in
>> house direct box to box or soft phone connection.
>>
>> No connection with the company - just a well chuffed user.
>> Cisco/Linksys/Sipura should look to their laurels.

> Is it locked to them or can it be used with any SIP provider ?

Any sip provider will be ok. Mine's attached to GoogleVoice and iptel,
although it could be 2 Google accounts or 2 separate sip accounts.

There's also a gizmo to configure extra voice gateways, but I haven't
yet ventured down that path...

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
cybuerke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Has anyone else got around to using these together? <http://obihai.com>
>
>A box the size of a fag packet, but it knocks out some top quality
>sound. A choice of 2 FXS or 1 FXO and 2 FXS ports plus its own in house
>direct box to box or soft phone connection.

It's just an ATA. Nothing special, really. Why's it so good?

>No connection with the company - just a well chuffed user.
>Cisco/Linksys/Sipura should look to their laurels.

Why? They do cheaper ATAs - why should they be concerend?

e.g. Your one is 50 quid at amazon.co.uk, a Linksys/Cisco PAP2T ATA is under
40 quid from other UK stores... What's the difference?

Gordon

cybuerke

On 10/11/11 15:33, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> In article<(E-Mail Removed)>,
> cybuerke<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Has anyone else got around to using these together?<http://obihai.com>

<snip>

> It's just an ATA. Nothing special, really. Why's it so good?
>
>> No connection with the company - just a well chuffed user.
>> Cisco/Linksys/Sipura should look to their laurels.

> Why? They do cheaper ATAs - why should they be concerend?
>
> e.g. Your one is 50 quid at amazon.co.uk, a Linksys/Cisco PAP2T ATA is under
> 40 quid from other UK stores... What's the difference?
>
> Gordon

No, mine is the obi100 model, without the FXO port. 39 at amazon uk.
The obi110 (with FXO) is 49 - both with free delivery.

Like I say, the difference is the ability to connect with Google Voice,
although I accept that not everyone needs that.

Horses for courses, innit?

Anthony R. Gold

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 15:53:49 +0000, cybuerke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Like I say, the difference is the ability to connect with Google Voice,
> although I accept that not everyone needs that.

Could you explain your Google Voice setup? For example, what number is
presented you make an outgoing call and on what number - and from what VOIP
provider if any - do you receive incoming calls? I am unaware that Google
Voice delivers incoming calls elsewhere than to a NANP phone number, but
maybe that changed since days of Grand Central when I last looked at this.

cybuerke

On 11/11/11 09:56, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 15:53:49 +0000, cybuerke<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Like I say, the difference is the ability to connect with Google Voice,
>> although I accept that not everyone needs that.

> Could you explain your Google Voice setup? For example, what number is
> presented you make an outgoing call and on what number - and from what VOIP
> provider if any - do you receive incoming calls? I am unaware that Google
> Voice delivers incoming calls elsewhere than to a NANP phone number, but
> maybe that changed since days of Grand Central when I last looked at this.

I have a North American number courtesy of Ipkall, which GV used to
validate my signup request. GV then presented a choice of available US
numbers to use for their service.

Best have a look at this blog - a little out of date, but gives the
essentials. (I've used < > tags, but beware of word wrap.)

<http://michigantelephone.wordpress.com/2011/01/22/review-of-the-obihai-obi110-voip-device-part-1-use-your-phone-with-google-voice-for-free-incoming-and-outgoing-calls/>