Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Tossing up tablet idea

Reply
Thread Tools

Tossing up tablet idea

 
 
Frank Williams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2011
On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 19:03:19 +1300, Donchano
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 17:22:52 +1300, Frank Williams
><(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>>Yes but I don't think that Skype will work on a small screen and a Slow
>>CPU, it does not work on my HP Netbook with faster Dual core CPU..

>
>Nonsense. Skype works perfectly well on my four year old Toshiba
>laptop without dual core. In fact it works beautifully with a webcam
>as well. Don't blame Skype or your computer.
>




Yes I can, as its been posted on the Net that it does not work.

I can get it to sort of working with a Older version of Skype but it
then sort of locks the PC in a low screen mode.


It sates that the CPU is not fast enough..

HP Mini 110-3627tu

1.66 GHz Intel Atom N570


But my old P4 3.2 that is slower than the 1.66 GHz Intel Atom N570 and
that works, but Windows 7 gives it a very low bench mark regarding its
Graphics
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2011
Novo 7 active community URL please
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Frank Williams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2011
On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 19:42:30 +1300, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Novo 7 active community URL please





Google.com


 
Reply With Quote
 
Kiwiboy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2011
On 11 Nov, 19:42, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Novo 7 active community URL please


Here you go:
http://www.slatedroid.com/forum/258-...vo-7-advanced/
Plenty of active threads there. There is also discussion on Skype -
there is a few different firmware versions out for Novo 7 advanced
now, and while the latest one is always thought to be the best, it
would appear that an earlier version is better for Skype, in that it
lets the user switch between the front and rear camera whilst in a
skype call - that would be handy sometimes
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2011
Tks for URL
 
Reply With Quote
 
Your Name
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2011
In article <j9idk1$cb9$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gib Bogle
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 11/11/2011 4:32 p.m., Your Name wrote:
> ur laptop everywhere.
> >
> > Realistically there's little difference between a tablet and a good light
> > notebooks / Mac Book Air style laptops ... EXCEPT that the touchscreen
> > interface is easier for most people to use than laptop trackpads (of
> > course, those silly little "joysticks" laptops used to have were even
> > worse!).
> >
> > There is at least one laptop that has a pivoting display you can rotate
> > 180 degrees and then close over the keyboard to become a tablet.

>
> I'm guessing that my robust Eee PC has a much better life expectancy
> than an iPad (Apple stuff looks nice but is notoriously fragile).


"Apple stuff" is no more fragile than the devices from most other consumer
manufacturers. Of course if you do stupid things then you're likely to
break a device, but there are reports of people driving over their iPhones
(in trucks!) dropping them off buildings, etc and it still being fully
functional with nothing more than a few scratches or cracked glass.

In terms of computers, my PowerMac is nearing 15 years old, is still
working perfectly fine and has neever needed repairs. Meanwhile during the
same time period two Windows boxes (one a Dell, can't remember what the
other was) in the other room have died and that person now uses a MacBook
laptop.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gib Bogle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2011
On 12/11/2011 10:05 a.m., Your Name wrote:

>> I'm guessing that my robust Eee PC has a much better life expectancy
>> than an iPad (Apple stuff looks nice but is notoriously fragile).

>
> "Apple stuff" is no more fragile than the devices from most other consumer
> manufacturers. Of course if you do stupid things then you're likely to
> break a device, but there are reports of people driving over their iPhones
> (in trucks!) dropping them off buildings, etc and it still being fully
> functional with nothing more than a few scratches or cracked glass.
>
> In terms of computers, my PowerMac is nearing 15 years old, is still
> working perfectly fine and has neever needed repairs. Meanwhile during the
> same time period two Windows boxes (one a Dell, can't remember what the
> other was) in the other room have died and that person now uses a MacBook
> laptop.


It's the laptops that have struck me as fragile (not from personal
experience, since I haven't owned one). I'll add those data points.

In any case, a pad (from whomever) seems definitely more vulnerable than
a netbook that folds up.
 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-12-2011
Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
[snip snip]
> In other words, a cool toy but most can live without one unless yoy
> travel and spend a lot of time away from home and office and don't
> want to be lugging your laptop everywhere.


Lugging? Then you haven't seen my beautiful little (~1.6Kg) X32 ThinkPad. It
took me a while to find one at a reasonable price at a time when I had a few
bucks (family tend to band toether and give me a couple hundred between them
for Xmas and B'day as they know my plight). X32's are *very* hard to find.
They were the last fully IBM-designed ultraportable and were sold at the
same time as the Lenovo-designed X40. Lenovo really pushed the X40 and the
X32 was hardly publicised at all.

It's a beautiful little laptop *far* more powerful than anything
Atom-powered yet still light and, if you don't have the screen full-bright,
good for 4 hours+ on a charge. (I actually get over 5 hours at times bit
I've installed Notebook Hardware Control and have under-volted my CPU.
Mine's a 1.8GHz (Dothan) CPU but I've got it locked down to not go faster
than 1.6GHz as it does that with 0.94V vcore easilly [and will do 1GHz on
0.73V vcore] and almost never needs the fan.)

I also have an X3 'UltraBase' that clips onto the bottom of it which can
carry another (standard) battery (as well as an optical drive) to give
all-day use on battery. However it *does* make it a lot bulkier and ruins
it's svelte profile. <g>

It's my opinion that the X32 is the first in the line of what are being
called "Ultrabooks" which are touted to be the next big thing. However I'll
take the lower performance of the older X32 over a new Ultrabook any day as
I also get what is, IMO, one of the sexiest laptops ever made.

I smile everytime I use it and, when I'm stuck in some doctor's waiting-room
for untold amounts of time it turns far more heads than any silver / shiny /
reflective modern laptop ever would. I've even got a cute little IBM laptop
bag for it.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

"Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)


 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-12-2011
Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
[snip snip]
>
> Lugging? Then you haven't seen my beautiful little (~1.6Kg) X32
> ThinkPad.


Oh, if anyone has a few minutes to kill:

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2438
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/laptops/le...view-39189549/
http://thinkpadr51.com/tag/thinkpad-x32-review/ (Odd review from 2010, must
explore that site...)
http://www.epinions.com/review/IBM_T...t_210938859140

The last review ends with "My PowerBook is feeling very left out." <g>
--
Shaun.

"Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)


 
Reply With Quote
 
Your Name
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-12-2011
In article <j9kabb$bv7$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gib Bogle
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 12/11/2011 10:05 a.m., Your Name wrote:
>
> >> I'm guessing that my robust Eee PC has a much better life expectancy
> >> than an iPad (Apple stuff looks nice but is notoriously fragile).

> >
> > "Apple stuff" is no more fragile than the devices from most other consumer
> > manufacturers. Of course if you do stupid things then you're likely to
> > break a device, but there are reports of people driving over their iPhones
> > (in trucks!) dropping them off buildings, etc and it still being fully
> > functional with nothing more than a few scratches or cracked glass.
> >
> > In terms of computers, my PowerMac is nearing 15 years old, is still
> > working perfectly fine and has neever needed repairs. Meanwhile during the
> > same time period two Windows boxes (one a Dell, can't remember what the
> > other was) in the other room have died and that person now uses a MacBook
> > laptop.

>
> It's the laptops that have struck me as fragile (not from personal
> experience, since I haven't owned one). I'll add those data points.
>
> In any case, a pad (from whomever) seems definitely more vulnerable than
> a netbook that folds up.


Maybe slightly more vulnerable. Many people put their tablets into cases
to give some protection (either hard cases for some protection against
dropping or a material case to protect against scratches), which then
makes them little different a laptop in terms of needing to open up the
device to use.

On the other side of the coin, most tablets use Solid State drives, so
dropping them means it's less likely to lose data (there's no mechanical
hard drive heads to crash into the drive's platters).

Apple's old plastic MacBook did have tendency to crack if not looked after
properly, but all their laptops now use metal cases which makes them more
robust than the plastic case laptops some other companies still sell. It's
similar with some of Apple's other equipment.

Of course, for those who are going to be throwing their devices around,
then maybe they would be better off with one of the "outdoorsy",
waterproof, or "miltary grade" products.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: App idea, Any idea on implementation? Matthew_WARREN@bnpparibas.com Python 0 02-05-2008 05:50 PM
App idea, Any idea on implementation? Dr Mephesto Python 3 02-05-2008 06:55 AM
64 bit tablet pc and windows tablet PC edition?? btroglia@gmail.com Windows 64bit 3 06-27-2007 12:37 AM
Nested conditional expressions ---- good idea/bad idea? nimmi_srivastav@yahoo.com C Programming 10 02-02-2005 10:51 PM
Tossing up between two firewall/routers (DLink vs. Linksys) Dany P. Wu NZ Computing 2 10-08-2003 11:33 PM



Advertisments