Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Tossing up tablet idea

Tossing up tablet idea

JohnO

On Nov 11, 1:48*pm, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <yourname-1111110849300001@203-118-184-
> 185.dsl.dyn.ihug.co.nz>, (E-Mail Removed), Your Name says...
>

> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Dave
> > Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > <snip>

> > > It seems really cool, but I don't know really, what to be doing with it.
> > > I don't really know why I bought it!

> > That statement cover about 90% of people buying tablets. For most people
> > it's simply the latest "must have" toy on the block. *

> Yup!
>
> --
> Duncan.

They make a great mobile email client and a pretty good mobile web
client. Both activities are very awkward on smartphones for all but
the most brief email or quick web page.

They are also great for ebooks.

In other words, a cool toy but most can live without one unless yoy
travel and spend a lot of time away from home and office and don't
want to be lugging your laptop everywhere.

Dave Doe

In article <ef4fed90-3593-4b8f-8c31-97e9981dddd8
@f3g2000pri.googlegroups.com>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), JohnO says...

> On Nov 11, 1:48*pm, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > In article <yourname-1111110849300001@203-118-184-
> > 185.dsl.dyn.ihug.co.nz>, (E-Mail Removed), Your Name says...
> >

> > > In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Dave
> > > Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > <snip>

> > > That statement cover about 90% of people buying tablets. For most people
> > > it's simply the latest "must have" toy on the block. *

> > Yup!
> >
> > --
> > Duncan.

> They make a great mobile email client and a pretty good mobile web
> client. Both activities are very awkward on smartphones for all but
> the most brief email or quick web page.
>
> They are also great for ebooks.
>
> In other words, a cool toy but most can live without one unless yoy
> travel and spend a lot of time away from home and office and don't
> want to be lugging your laptop everywhere.

Yeah, those and Skype - it's a *reasonably* compact comms tool.

--
Duncan.

Your Name

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>, JohnO
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Nov 11, 1:48=A0pm, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > In article <yourname-1111110849300001@203-118-184-
> > 185.dsl.dyn.ihug.co.nz>, (E-Mail Removed), Your Name says...
> > > In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> > > Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > >
> > > <snip>

> > > That statement covers about 90% of people buying tablets. For most
> > > people it's simply the latest "must have" toy on the block.

> > Yup!

> They make a great mobile email client and a pretty good mobile web
> client. Both activities are very awkward on smartphones for all but
> the most brief email or quick web page.
>
> They are also great for ebooks.
>
> In other words, a cool toy but most can live without one unless yoy
> travel and spend a lot of time away from home and office and don't
> want to be lugging your laptop everywhere.

Realistically there's little difference between a tablet and a good light
notebooks / Mac Book Air style laptops ... EXCEPT that the touchscreen
interface is easier for most people to use than laptop trackpads (of
course, those silly little "joysticks" laptops used to have were even
worse!).

There is at least one laptop that has a pivoting display you can rotate
180 degrees and then close over the keyboard to become a tablet.

Frank Williams

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 14:54:55 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <ef4fed90-3593-4b8f-8c31-97e9981dddd8
>@f3g2000pri.googlegroups.com>, (E-Mail Removed), JohnO says...
>>
>> On Nov 11, 1:48*pm, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > In article <yourname-1111110849300001@203-118-184-
>> > 185.dsl.dyn.ihug.co.nz>, (E-Mail Removed), Your Name says...

>> > Yup!
>> >
>> > --
>> > Duncan.

>> They make a great mobile email client and a pretty good mobile web
>> client. Both activities are very awkward on smartphones for all but
>> the most brief email or quick web page.
>>
>> They are also great for ebooks.
>>
>> In other words, a cool toy but most can live without one unless yoy
>> travel and spend a lot of time away from home and office and don't
>> want to be lugging your laptop everywhere.

>Yeah, those and Skype - it's a *reasonably* compact comms tool.

Yes but I don't think that Skype will work on a small screen and a Slow
CPU, it does not work on my HP Netbook with faster Dual core CPU..

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed), Frank Williams says...

> On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 14:54:55 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >In article <ef4fed90-3593-4b8f-8c31-97e9981dddd8
> >@f3g2000pri.googlegroups.com>, (E-Mail Removed), JohnO says...

> >> They make a great mobile email client and a pretty good mobile web
> >> client. Both activities are very awkward on smartphones for all but
> >> the most brief email or quick web page.
> >>
> >> They are also great for ebooks.
> >>
> >> In other words, a cool toy but most can live without one unless yoy
> >> travel and spend a lot of time away from home and office and don't
> >> want to be lugging your laptop everywhere.

> >Yeah, those and Skype - it's a *reasonably* compact comms tool.

> Yes but I don't think that Skype will work on a small screen and a Slow
> CPU, it does not work on my HP Netbook with faster Dual core CPU..

Of course it fuken works - I'd have removed it otherwise. It works
absolutely flawlessly.

--
Duncan.

Gib Bogle

On 11/11/2011 5:22 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:

>> Yeah, those and Skype - it's a *reasonably* compact comms tool.

> Yes but I don't think that Skype will work on a small screen and a Slow
> CPU, it does not work on my HP Netbook with faster Dual core CPU..

Skype works fine on my Asus Eee PC with a slow CPU. The speed of the
connection (determined by server and phone network) is the only constraint.

Gib Bogle

On 11/11/2011 4:32 p.m., Your Name wrote:
ur laptop everywhere.

> Realistically there's little difference between a tablet and a good light
> notebooks / Mac Book Air style laptops ... EXCEPT that the touchscreen
> interface is easier for most people to use than laptop trackpads (of
> course, those silly little "joysticks" laptops used to have were even
> worse!).
>
> There is at least one laptop that has a pivoting display you can rotate
> 180 degrees and then close over the keyboard to become a tablet.

I'm guessing that my robust Eee PC has a much better life expectancy
than an iPad (Apple stuff looks nice but is notoriously fragile).

Donchano

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 17:22:52 +1300, Frank Williams
<(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>Yes but I don't think that Skype will work on a small screen and a Slow
>CPU, it does not work on my HP Netbook with faster Dual core CPU..

Nonsense. Skype works perfectly well on my four year old Toshiba
laptop without dual core. In fact it works beautifully with a webcam
as well. Don't blame Skype or your computer.

Frank Williams

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 18:42:34 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed), Frank Williams says...
>>
>> On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 14:54:55 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >In article <ef4fed90-3593-4b8f-8c31-97e9981dddd8
>> >@f3g2000pri.googlegroups.com>, (E-Mail Removed), JohnO says...

>> >Yeah, those and Skype - it's a *reasonably* compact comms tool.

>> Yes but I don't think that Skype will work on a small screen and a Slow
>> CPU, it does not work on my HP Netbook with faster Dual core CPU..

>Of course it fuken works - I'd have removed it otherwise. It works
>absolutely flawlessly.

May be you are just dreaming it works..?

Frank Williams

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 18:56:49 +1300, Gib Bogle <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 11/11/2011 5:22 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
>
>>> Yeah, those and Skype - it's a *reasonably* compact comms tool.

>> Yes but I don't think that Skype will work on a small screen and a Slow
>> CPU, it does not work on my HP Netbook with faster Dual core CPU..

>Skype works fine on my Asus Eee PC with a slow CPU. The speed of the
>connection (determined by server and phone network) is the only constraint.

Not in my Case it stated that the System is to Slow, CPU ? but it will
work with a much older version of Skype but it stuffs up the Screen
resolution.

1.66 GHz Intel Atom N570 is faster than my Intel P4 3.2Gb pc and that
works ok.

My connecton speed is around 2000 Mbs cable.

HP Mini 110-3627tu PC