Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Connection to Access database

Connection to Access database

Josh Brown

I have some code setup that emails me with details when an error occurs. The
database i am connecting to is in MS Access 2000... the error i get is:

"ExecuteReader requires an open and available Connection. The connection's
current state is Open, Executing."

Is this actually an error? I've never had the clients call and complain
about having problems. I've never been able to reproduce it myself. Might it
have anything to do with the fact that the application is running on a
shared server and other applications may be using Access? i understand that
Access allows only a certain number of connections at a time, so maybe this
is causing the error message? Its pretty impossible to debug when i can't
even figure out how to reproduce the problem to begin with. Any insight
would be greatly appreciated.

Josh Brown

I might add that this error doesn't happen very often.

"Josh Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have some code setup that emails me with details when an error occurs.

The
> database i am connecting to is in MS Access 2000... the error i get is:
>
> "ExecuteReader requires an open and available Connection. The connection's
> current state is Open, Executing."
>
> Is this actually an error? I've never had the clients call and complain
> about having problems. I've never been able to reproduce it myself. Might

it
> have anything to do with the fact that the application is running on a
> shared server and other applications may be using Access? i understand

that
> Access allows only a certain number of connections at a time, so maybe

this
> is causing the error message? Its pretty impossible to debug when i can't
> even figure out how to reproduce the problem to begin with. Any insight
> would be greatly appreciated.

ashelley@inlandkwpp.com

sounds like its using an object pool for connections. is it possible
that this only happens during high connection traffic?

If there is a factory responsible creating these connection objects
maybe it needs to make more available because it sounds like the
connection object your are being passed back is already in use or is
bunk and needs to be reset.

-Adam