Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Run an html page on the client's pc

Run an html page on the client's pc

James Cooke

The clients that connect to my webserver all have a bunch of html files
located on their hard drives, ie

c:\myfiles\html1.htm
c:\myfiles\html2.htm
c:\myfiles\html3.htm
c:\myfiles\html4.htm
c:\myfiles\html5.htm

These html files will start up some flash movies.

I want them to be able to click links on my webserver, and the links will
open up the html files located on their hard drive. Right now, when they do
that nothing happens.

This is the href I am using:
target="_blank">c:\clarion6\bin\flash\dct7a.htm</a>
Nothing happens here.

However, if I specify

Windows explorer, under My Computer pops up.
This means *something* is possible.

Any ideas as to get this right?
Thanks

John Saunders

"James Cooke" <jamescooketx yahoo com> wrote in message
news:OGZn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The clients that connect to my webserver all have a bunch of html files
> located on their hard drives, ie
>
> c:\myfiles\html1.htm
> c:\myfiles\html2.htm
> c:\myfiles\html3.htm
> c:\myfiles\html4.htm
> c:\myfiles\html5.htm
>
> These html files will start up some flash movies.
>
> I want them to be able to click links on my webserver, and the links will
> open up the html files located on their hard drive. Right now, when they

do
> that nothing happens.

Slight semantic correction: the links aren't on your webserver. They're in
the HTML sent to your client from your webserver. That's important in
understanding what will happen if you click the link.

> This is the href I am using:
> target="_blank">c:\clarion6\bin\flash\dct7a.htm</a>
> Nothing happens here.

I recommend that you play with that URL. I expect you have a problem with
the number of slashes ("/").

> However, if I specify
>
> Windows explorer, under My Computer pops up.
> This means *something* is possible.
>
> Any ideas as to get this right?
> Thanks

Yes. Try adding an "x" after the slashes. Also try removing a slash. You've
got an odd number of slashes, which doesn't make sense. I notice you didn't
escape the slashes within the file spec.
--
John Saunders
johnwsaundersiii at hotmail

Raterus

This worked for me...

"James Cooke" <jamescooketx yahoo com> wrote in message news:OGZn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The clients that connect to my webserver all have a bunch of html files
> located on their hard drives, ie
>
> c:\myfiles\html1.htm
> c:\myfiles\html2.htm
> c:\myfiles\html3.htm
> c:\myfiles\html4.htm
> c:\myfiles\html5.htm
>
> These html files will start up some flash movies.
>
> I want them to be able to click links on my webserver, and the links will
> open up the html files located on their hard drive. Right now, when they do
> that nothing happens.
>
> This is the href I am using:
> target="_blank">c:\clarion6\bin\flash\dct7a.htm</a>
> Nothing happens here.
>
> However, if I specify
>
> Windows explorer, under My Computer pops up.
> This means *something* is possible.
>
> Any ideas as to get this right?
> Thanks

Curt_C [MVP]

I'm guessing it's a security setting for using the browser to call these
files.

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

"James Cooke" <jamescooketx yahoo com> wrote in message
news:OGZn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The clients that connect to my webserver all have a bunch of html files
> located on their hard drives, ie
>
> c:\myfiles\html1.htm
> c:\myfiles\html2.htm
> c:\myfiles\html3.htm
> c:\myfiles\html4.htm
> c:\myfiles\html5.htm
>
> These html files will start up some flash movies.
>
> I want them to be able to click links on my webserver, and the links will
> open up the html files located on their hard drive. Right now, when they

do
> that nothing happens.
>
> This is the href I am using:
> target="_blank">c:\clarion6\bin\flash\dct7a.htm</a>
> Nothing happens here.
>
> However, if I specify
>
> Windows explorer, under My Computer pops up.
> This means *something* is possible.
>
> Any ideas as to get this right?
> Thanks

Curt_C [MVP]

Oh, and it's nothing to do with ASP/ASP.NET, it's an HTML/Clientside thing