Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Using your email client to view your yahoo, hotmail or other webmail account?

Using your email client to view your yahoo, hotmail or other webmail account?

John

Do you know if it is possible to use your email client (e.g. outlook,
thunderbird) to view your yahoo, hotmail or other webmail account? Is
so how do you do it an will it still leave the messages on your
webmail account server/inbox etc?

Paul

John wrote:
> Do you know if it is possible to use your email client (e.g. outlook,
> thunderbird) to view your yahoo, hotmail or other webmail account? Is
> so how do you do it an will it still leave the messages on your
> webmail account server/inbox etc?

There are two aspects to the question:

1) What protocols do the email clients understand ?
What protocols do they support ?
Find a list.

2) On the email server side (yahoo, hotmail, etc), what
alternatives besides HTML protocol do they support ?

This is a harder problem to solve, because the alternatives
may not be publicly announced and promoted. Maybe they put
the protocol on there, to support business users, and don't
really want to public glomming onto that interface ?

For success, something from (1) has to match something from (2).

Example here. Thunderbird probably understands POP3. The "port number"
is important, because the various ports support things like unencrypted
versus encrypted transmissions. Any new service defined, will likely be
on one of the "safer to use" ports.

http://lifehacker.com/5169684/hotmai...pop3-worldwide

Have fun,
Paul

Kele

I do this with Thunderbird and GMX Mail.

GMX mail has a collector that retrieves mails from other on-line mail
services.

Hotmal has started doing this too. But I can attest that GMX mail has a
wizard that steps through this and then tells how to work it with
Thunderbird - it was ultra EZ. I rarely visit any on-line mail services. I
just launch Thunderbird which retrieves mail from GMX which has already
collected mail from Hotmail, Yahoo, etc. There's not much lag either. It's
seamless and from my point of view, it seems like I receive mail like I do
via my single ISP mail account and Outlook.
Another benny... Hotmail, Yahoo, etc have their own spam blockers as does
GMX. By the time mail gets to Thunderbird, it's nearly spam free - I can
then tell Thunderbird where to filter any that get through making the Inbox
very real mail only.

And yes, there is an option in GMX to leave the mail on the server or delete
it once sent down to Thunderbird.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do you know if it is possible to use your email client (e.g. outlook,
> thunderbird) to view your yahoo, hotmail or other webmail account? Is
> so how do you do it an will it still leave the messages on your
> webmail account server/inbox etc?

- Bobb -

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do you know if it is possible to use your email client (e.g. outlook,
> thunderbird) to view your yahoo, hotmail or other webmail account? Is
> so how do you do it an will it still leave the messages on your
> webmail account server/inbox etc?

For some web based email, you need to pay a fee to use the client/server
version. For Yahoo, I think it's about $20 per year for "POP Yahoo! Mail"
and then YES Outlook will fetch your email. For free- no - they want you to
go to their website and see their ads. ( they gotta make money somehow)

What I will tell you is :
There ARE mail fetching programs ( Like Poppeeper ) that retrieve just about
all email for free. They have a very limited interface but I use them to
fetch all of my non-essential webmail - Netscape, Yahoo, etc. and if
necessary I then go to the website to read/save images etc.
http://www.poppeeper.com/download.php

For specifics on settings - try this:
http://www.emailaddressmanager.com/t...-settings.html