Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Current state of Telecom's 'broadband'?

Current state of Telecom's 'broadband'?

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Your Name wrote:
> In article <j9q49e$h20$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Bruce Sinclair)
> wrote:
>> In article

> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Your Name) wrote:
>>> In article <j9phjf$850$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> (E-Mail Removed) (Bruce Sinclair)
>>> wrote:

>> (snip)
>>>
>>> That's another reason for me not having a mobile phone - I can't
>>> answer it while driving, and I won't answer it while working with a
>>> client, so it becomes rather pointless since I can't / won't answer
>>> it 90% of the time I'm away from my landline anyway.

>>> That's not a nice way to talk about the police.
>>> The so-called "ban" has done almost nothing. You do stil see lots of
>>> morons talking away on their mobile phones while driving.

>> Yep. Too easy to avoid. Data says it's the concentrating on the
>> call, not the fiddling with the hand set that causes the problem.
>> *Should* have banned talking on cell phones while driving. <sigh>

> Playing with the radio control is distracting, kids in the back are
> distracting,talking to passengers is distracting, eating / drinking /
> smoking is distracting ... let alone silliness like reading the
> newspaper, putting on make-up, etc.

I couldn't agree more. I happen to think that I'm an excellent driver, 15
seconds doesn't pass without me checking mirrors and I'm constantly looking
five cars and 100m up the road. However, talking about anything that
requires a bit of thought with a passenger *or on a mobile phone* impacts my
ability to drive somewhat. I've actually found that, since swapping to
hands-free, my concentration is impacted far more as the background noise of
the car and tinny little speaker ~2m away mean that it's harder than if I
was holding a phone to my ear. I end up asking the other party to repeat
what thay've said often, causing major distraction and reducing me to about
the ability of an average NZ driver. (ZOMG!!!!11!)
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Bruce Sinclair

In article <j9urhg$j09$(E-Mail Removed)>, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)

>> They would be on my list.
>> I'd add 'a little fun occasionally' too.

>Fun? I think I remember that. The last time I came close I think was when
>watching 'QI'. I laughed so hard I had tears running down my cheeks. Stephen
>Fry is one funny and clever dude.

Yep. I missed out on meeting him (well, perhaps read "being in the same room
as him") when he was here earlier this year. I did get some of "his birthday
cake".

>>> Eeek! Well, I live in a ghetto and my nieghbours all drive better
>>> cars than I have, most of them can afford to smoke cigarettes and
>>> definitely imbue ethanol. I smell barbeques regularly.... It seems
>>> that even compared to the rest of 'the underclass' I'm not doing at
>>> all well.

>> Bummer.

>Indeed. I'm surrounded my (dark) invalids and solo mums (with the odd
>worker) but the beneficiaries around me seem to be *so* much richer than I.
>Then again, they're in state housing, would that make a difference?

It might. Perhaps the citizens advice people could investiget housing
allowances you might be entitled to ?

(snip)

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article <j9urhg$j09$(E-Mail Removed)>, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote: (snip)
>>>
>>> They would be on my list.
>>> I'd add 'a little fun occasionally' too.

>> Fun? I think I remember that. The last time I came close I think was
>> when watching 'QI'. I laughed so hard I had tears running down my
>> cheeks. Stephen Fry is one funny and clever dude.

> Yep. I missed out on meeting him (well, perhaps read "being in the
> same room
> as him") when he was here earlier this year. I did get some of "his
> birthday
> cake".

Damn! He's a pretty amazing guy.

>>> Bummer.

>> Indeed. I'm surrounded my (dark) invalids and solo mums (with the odd
>> worker) but the beneficiaries around me seem to be *so* much richer
>> than I. Then again, they're in state housing, would that make a
>> difference?

> It might. Perhaps the citizens advice people could investiget housing
> allowances you might be entitled to ?

Yeah, I reckon I'm going to need to take on help on this one otherwise I'm
going to default on payments.

Cheers,