Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Wake on LAN / Wake on WAN - how to do it?

Wake on LAN / Wake on WAN - how to do it?

Netman

Hello!

I would like to ask you for help.

I am going to change my PC computer into new one
which will have Intel Sandy Bridge E processor
with LGA 2011 socket. I want to buy the motherboard
too.

I don`t know what motherboard I will have to choose,
because I want it to have one thing.

I work as developer in IT company and I want to have
possibility to start up remotly my new future private computer which
will be standing at my home. I heard that such motherboard
should have Wake-on-lan function. I mean bios setting of course.

I heard that there is something like Wake-on-Wan function too.

Now I have to you a few questions:
1) Are there any motherboard with Wake-on-Wan function?
Or maybe there is only Wake-on-Lan function (WoL) on
motherboards?
2) Does WoL motherboard (bios) function let me start up my new
computer from different LAN through internet? Does WoL function
work only when I try to start up such computer through the same LAN?
3) If there is such possibility to start up my private computer from
different
LAN can you give me the code example to do it using Windows command
console? Can you tell me if it needs some configuration changes on my
DLINK DI-524 router? Or maybe I will have to purchase a new router?
Can you tell me how to find the right router to let me do so?
4) If there is such possibility to start up my private computer from
different
LAN can you give me how such function is called? I will know how to
find the right motherboard.
5) Is it possible to start up remotly any computer which doesn`t have
WoL and WoW function on motherboard?

Thank you in advance for help
Netm.