Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Network Timeouts

Network Timeouts

Tony

Hello:
I'm writing some code between a server and a client. The client
provides the server with packets on a continuous basis. If the server
does not receive a packet for 30 seconds it throws a timeout
exception. We are testing the robustness of the server. The client is
just a producer to packets with no interleave, fixed packet length and
random context. The next packet is sent as soon as the last ack is
received. It have been observed from the logs the I get the exception
throw information (which I wrote saying the exception has been throw).
and that's about all. My approach to solving this would to be to look
at what packets were going across the interface with something like
tcpdump. But I can't get root access on this system. I can't do much
on this system in regard to taking a really close look. Any hints?
Thanks in Advance.
Cheers

Daniele Futtorovic

On 28/10/2011 19:20, Tony allegedly wrote:
> Hello:
> I'm writing some code between a server and a client. The client
> provides the server with packets on a continuous basis. If the server
> does not receive a packet for 30 seconds it throws a timeout
> exception. We are testing the robustness of the server. The client is
> just a producer to packets with no interleave, fixed packet length and
> random context. The next packet is sent as soon as the last ack is
> received. It have been observed from the logs the I get the exception
> throw information (which I wrote saying the exception has been throw).
> and that's about all. My approach to solving this would to be to look
> at what packets were going across the interface with something like
> tcpdump. But I can't get root access on this system. I can't do much
> on this system in regard to taking a really close look. Any hints?
> Thanks in Advance.
> Cheers

Not sure I understand your question. Are you asking how you could best
debug your application? Or how you could write it better so that it be
more easily debugged?

If the latter: logs, logs, logs, and JMX if you wanna be fancy.

If the former, and you do not have some fine-grained logs you can
enable, and can't sinff the traffic, then I guess you're pretty much
screwed.

--
DF.
Determinism trumps correctness.

Roedy Green

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 10:20:38 -0700 (PDT), Tony
someone who said :

>Hello:
>I'm writing some code between a server and a client. The client
>provides the server with packets on a continuous basis. If the server
>does not receive a packet for 30 seconds it throws a timeout
>exception. We are testing the robustness of the server. The client is
>just a producer to packets with no interleave, fixed packet length and
>random context. The next packet is sent as soon as the last ack is
>received. It have been observed from the logs the I get the exception
>throw information (which I wrote saying the exception has been throw).
>and that's about all. My approach to solving this would to be to look
>at what packets were going across the interface with something like
>tcpdump. But I can't get root access on this system. I can't do much
>on this system in regard to taking a really close look. Any hints?
>Thanks in Advance.
>Cheers

I use WireShark. I don't know how it would be for you.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Andreas Leitgeb

Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>I'm writing some code between a server and a client. The client
>>provides the server with packets on a continuous basis. If the server
>>does not receive a packet for 30 seconds it throws a timeout
>>exception. We are testing the robustness of the server. The client is
>>just a producer to packets with no interleave, fixed packet length and
>>random context. The next packet is sent as soon as the last ack is
>>received. It have been observed from the logs the I get the exception
>>throw information (which I wrote saying the exception has been throw).
>>and that's about all. My approach to solving this would to be to look
>>at what packets were going across the interface with something like
>>tcpdump. But I can't get root access on this system. I can't do much
>>on this system in regard to taking a really close look. Any hints?
>>Thanks in Advance.
>>Cheers

> I use WireShark. I don't know how it would be for you.

WireShark needs root-privileges, as well, so probably not.

to the OP:
How about changing the exeception handler to write some
more useful information into the logs?

Tony

On Oct 28, 1:20*pm, Tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello:
> I'm writing some code between a server and a client. The client
> provides the server with packets on a continuous basis. If the server
> does not receive a packet for 30 seconds it throws a timeout
> exception. We are testing the robustness of the server. The client is
> just a producer to packets with no interleave, fixed packet length and
> random context. The next packet is sent as soon as the last ack is
> received. It have been observed from the logs the I get the exception
> throw information (which I wrote saying the exception has been throw).
> and that's about all. My approach to solving this would to be to look
> at what packets were going across the interface with something like
> tcpdump. But I can't get root access on this system. I can't do much
> on this system in regard to taking a really close look. Any hints?
> Thanks in Advance.
> Cheers

Thanks all

Joe Collins

If you can't get root access or otherwise use wireshark, have you
considered setting up a proxy? All it needs to do is write the
packets to disk and then forward them along.

On Oct 28, 5:20*pm, Tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello:
> I'm writing some code between a server and a client. The client
> provides the server with packets on a continuous basis. If the server
> does not receive a packet for 30 seconds it throws a timeout
> exception. We are testing the robustness of the server. The client is
> just a producer to packets with no interleave, fixed packet length and
> random context. The next packet is sent as soon as the last ack is
> received. It have been observed from the logs the I get the exception
> throw information (which I wrote saying the exception has been throw).
> and that's about all. My approach to solving this would to be to look
> at what packets were going across the interface with something like
> tcpdump. But I can't get root access on this system. I can't do much
> on this system in regard to taking a really close look. Any hints?
> Thanks in Advance.
> Cheers

settings network timeouts in python Narendra Python 2 12-19-2005 06:02 PM
Wired/Wireless Bridge Timeouts Eoin Kennedy Wireless Networking 0 08-31-2005 04:42 PM
Server Timeouts Beaver472 Firefox 0 07-19-2005 06:35 PM
forms authentication timeouts and session timeouts =?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24=?= ASP .Net 0 06-22-2004 09:24 AM
Session-Timeouts and Idle-Timeouts on AS5300 and AS5800 Matt Cisco 1 02-17-2004 06:59 PM

Advertisments