Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus chairman resigns amid scandal

Olympus chairman resigns amid scandal

RichA

David J Taylor

"RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ws_310189.html

Why do you need to start a fresh thread when Bruce already has this
covered?

RichA

On Oct 26, 9:50*am, "David J Taylor" <david-
(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...man_resigns_up...

> Why do you need to start a fresh thread when Bruce already has this
> covered?

Didn't see the addition to the other thread in time.

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Oct 26, 9:50*am, "David J Taylor" <david-
>(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...man_resigns_up...

>> Why do you need to start a fresh thread when Bruce already has this
>> covered?

>Didn't see the addition to the other thread in time.

Not a problem. I had to decide whether to add to the previous thread
or start a new one. I did one and you did the other. Either way,
this is a story that will run, and run.

I thought that today's new chairman effectively committed hara-kiri by
attacking Michael Woodford, and that was in his first contact with the
media following his appointment!

Who knows what tomorrow holds?

Bruce

Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I thought that today's new chairman effectively committed hara-kiri by
>attacking Michael Woodford, and that was in his first contact with the
>media following his appointment!
>
>Who knows what tomorrow holds?

More details here in an article from the Financial Times, London:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/68lowc8
or:
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1f013260-f...44feabdc0.html

RichA

On Oct 26, 3:30*pm, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >I thought that today's new chairman effectively committed hara-kiri by
> >attacking Michael Woodford, and that was in his first contact with the
> >media following his appointment!

> >Who knows what tomorrow holds?

> More details here in an article from the Financial Times, London:
>
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/68lowc8
> or:http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1f013260-f...44feabdc0.html

They figure (Olympus board) if they tip over enough dominos
(executives), they'll avoid a criminal prosecution.

RichA

On Oct 26, 2:01*pm, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On Oct 26, 9:50*am, "David J Taylor" <david-
> >(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> "RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >>news:(E-Mail Removed)....

> >> Why do you need to start a fresh thread when Bruce already has this
> >> covered?

> >Didn't see the addition to the other thread in time.

> Not a problem. *I had to decide whether to add to the previous thread
> or start a new one. *I did one and you did the other. *Either way,
> this is a story that will run, and run. *
>
> I thought that today's new chairman effectively committed hara-kiri by
> attacking Michael Woodford, and that was in his first contact with the
> media following his appointment!
>
> Who knows what tomorrow holds?

Maybe formations and dissolution of companies solely for the sake of
taking payments and avoiding taxes is normal, but this seems really
questionable. From one of your links:

Mr Woodford has taken his concerns to the UKs Serious Fraud Office
and said he was preparing to meet FBI agents looking into aspects of
the Gyrus acquisition on Wednesday. The financial adviser, Axes
Securities, was registered in New York, though it and a Cayman Islands-
registered affiliate appear to have ceased operations soon after
receiving payment from Olympus.

Robert Coe

: > >(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: > >> "RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: >
: > >>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: >
:
: Maybe formations and dissolution of companies solely for the sake of
: taking payments and avoiding taxes is normal, but this seems really
: questionable. From one of your links:
:
: Mr Woodford has taken his concerns to the UKs Serious Fraud Office
: and said he was preparing to meet FBI agents looking into aspects of
: the Gyrus acquisition on Wednesday. The financial adviser, Axes
: Securities, was registered in New York, though it and a Cayman Islands-
: registered affiliate appear to have ceased operations soon after
: receiving payment from Olympus.

So is the emerging theory that the payments were simply a money laundering
scheme wherein most of the money found its way back to Olympus executives or
board members, all under the cover of a pending aquisition to make the
payments seem plausible?

Bob

Ex-Olympus chairman arrested!! RichA Digital Photography 10 02-17-2012 08:55 PM
Three Olympus directors at centre of fraud scandal fall on their swords ... Daily Mail (UK) Bruce Digital Photography 1 12-22-2011 08:36 AM
spinoza1111 resigns from "segfault city" spinoza1111@yahoo.com C Programming 7 06-26-2006 05:31 AM
Dan Rather resigns JohnO NZ Computing 11 11-25-2004 10:10 AM
Gilligan resigns Gazwad Computer Support 39 02-02-2004 03:04 AM

Advertisments