Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon may buy Olympus!!

Canon may buy Olympus!!

RichA

Read about 3/4 of the way down the page. Potential suitors. Olympus
camera sales revenue has dropped (despite mirror-less) considerably in
the past five years.

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Read about 3/4 of the way down the page. Potential suitors. Olympus
>camera sales revenue has dropped (despite mirror-less) considerably in
>the past five years.

Which page? Link please!

It would not be a surprise if a company that had lost about 40% of its
value on the stockmarkets in less than a week became a target for
predators.

Canon could buy Olympus Camera, discontinue the expensive development
of its own mirrorless system and instead develop (at far lower cost)
some good new sensors for Olympus - allowing it to compete with
Panasonic without the straitjacket of a maximum 12.3 MP.

RichA

On Oct 21, 2:21*pm, George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 10/21/11 1:02 PM, in article
> (E-Mail Removed), "RichA"
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Read about 3/4 of the way down the page. *Potential suitors. *Olympus
> > camera sales revenue has dropped (despite mirror-less) considerably in
> > the past five years.

> Forgot something, maybe?

Damn! It was on Bloomberg business news but I can't find the exact
link. Like all news sites, their search mechanism is pure garbage.

This isn't it:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...yrus-deal.html

RichA

On Oct 21, 3:05*pm, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Read about 3/4 of the way down the page. *Potential suitors. *Olympus
> >camera sales revenue has dropped (despite mirror-less) considerably in
> >the past five years.

> Which page? *Link please!
>
> It would not be a surprise if a company that had lost about 40% of its
> value on the stockmarkets in less than a week became a target for
> predators. *

More, I think, of a drop. Canon wants their medical device business,
Fuji, GE, Siemens. Olympus dominates the "body scope" field (60%+ of
the market) and has for decades.

http://www.reuters.com/finance/stock...?symbol=7733.T

RichA

On Oct 21, 2:21*pm, George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 10/21/11 1:02 PM, in article
> (E-Mail Removed), "RichA"
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Read about 3/4 of the way down the page. *Potential suitors. *Olympus
> > camera sales revenue has dropped (despite mirror-less) considerably in
> > the past five years.

> Forgot something, maybe?

Found it!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...-real-m-a.html

SMS

On 10/21/2011 12:05 PM, Bruce wrote:
> RichA<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Read about 3/4 of the way down the page. Potential suitors. Olympus
>> camera sales revenue has dropped (despite mirror-less) considerably in
>> the past five years.

> Which page? Link please!
>
> It would not be a surprise if a company that had lost about 40% of its
> value on the stockmarkets in less than a week became a target for
> predators.
>
> Canon could buy Olympus Camera, discontinue the expensive development
> of its own mirrorless system and instead develop (at far lower cost)
> some good new sensors for Olympus - allowing it to compete with
> Panasonic without the straitjacket of a maximum 12.3 MP.

<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-20/olympus-37-less-than-medical-unit-seen-luring-bidders-real-m-a.html>

Why would Canon be interested? Olympus's camera sales have fallen by 50%
in the past five years and Olympus has nothing Canon needs.

John A.

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 18:47:04 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>SMS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:4ea1d908$0$1690$(E-Mail Removed):

>>> Which page? Link please!
>>>
>>> It would not be a surprise if a company that had lost about 40% of
>>> its value on the stockmarkets in less than a week became a target for
>>> predators.
>>>
>>> Canon could buy Olympus Camera, discontinue the expensive development
>>> of its own mirrorless system and instead develop (at far lower cost)
>>> some good new sensors for Olympus - allowing it to compete with
>>> Panasonic without the straitjacket of a maximum 12.3 MP.

>> <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...-than-medical-
>> unit-seen-luring-bidders-real-m-a.html>
>>
>> Why would Canon be interested? Olympus's camera sales have fallen by
>> 50% in the past five years and Olympus has nothing Canon needs.
>>

>Maybe they have an interest in the medical side?

I guess it makes sense. If you can't buy just the part you want, buy
the whole thing when the parts you don't want are dragging down the
price.

Bruce

Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>SMS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:4ea1d908$0$1690$(E-Mail Removed):

>>> Which page? Link please!
>>>
>>> It would not be a surprise if a company that had lost about 40% of
>>> its value on the stockmarkets in less than a week became a target for
>>> predators.
>>>
>>> Canon could buy Olympus Camera, discontinue the expensive development
>>> of its own mirrorless system and instead develop (at far lower cost)
>>> some good new sensors for Olympus - allowing it to compete with
>>> Panasonic without the straitjacket of a maximum 12.3 MP.

>> <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...-than-medical-
>> unit-seen-luring-bidders-real-m-a.html>
>>
>> Why would Canon be interested? Olympus's camera sales have fallen by
>> 50% in the past five years and Olympus has nothing Canon needs.
>>

>Maybe they have an interest in the medical side?

Sure, that's the really attractive bit.

I was merely commenting, in the context of photo newsgroups, what
Canon could do with Olympus Camera.

RichA

On Oct 21, 11:27*pm, John A. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 18:47:04 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >SMS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >news:4ea1d908$0$1690$(E-Mail Removed):

> >> <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...-than-medical-
> >> unit-seen-luring-bidders-real-m-a.html>

> >> Why would Canon be interested? Olympus's camera sales have fallen by
> >> 50% in the past five years and Olympus has nothing Canon needs.

> >Maybe they have an interest in the medical side?

> I guess it makes sense. If you can't buy just the part you want, buy
> the whole thing when the parts you don't want are dragging down the
> price.

It's far more common for companies to do this, to buy other companies
today rather than develop technology and markets from within. They
get Olympus, whatever camera technology they can gain before
dissolving the Olympus camera brand and the lucrative medical side
along with its pre-existing customers.