Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Color film negative to positive image conversion?

Color film negative to positive image conversion?

David J Taylor

"Trevor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4ea4b1e6$0$2444$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:j818re$pjt$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Lucas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4ea418d4$0$482$(E-Mail Removed)4all .nl...
>> []
>>> As simple as it can be: once scanned (any scanning device will do,
>>> even your Coolpix-adapter), use "Paint", free with Windows; select
>>> "image", and execute "negative" (or CTRL-I = invert). This converts
>>> both ways: neg to pos and vice versa.

>> .. and what about the orange mask?

> Add another orange mask to the inverted image.
>
> Trevor.

Thanks, Trevor. I though that all the "use the negative image" remarks
were missing something out!

Cheers,
David

Trevor

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:j835g3$roh$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> .. and what about the orange mask?

>> Add another orange mask to the inverted image.
>>

> Thanks, Trevor. I though that all the "use the negative image" remarks
> were missing something out!

Yep, as I said it's not difficult. If your negatives have a blank area at
the start or end of the film strip, simply shoot that as well as the photo
you are after. That will be more accurate than using software approximation
as with most film scanner software anyway. Make sure the two exposures are
the same of course, with no auto white balance etc.
Or you may find simply selecting a gey tone to set color balance in your
photo editing software is sufficient, try whatever works best for you.

Trevor.