Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Some interesting WWII images from The Atlantic

Re: Some interesting WWII images from The Atlantic

philo

> On 2011-10-17 22:29:55 -0700, Savageduck said:
>
>> <
>> http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...ermany/100166/

> Here is the main page for the series, there are two more to be published.
>
> < http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/ww2.html >

Amazing, historic photos.

I was stationed in Germany 25 years after the war and there was still plenty
of damage in sight.
Blown-up bunkers were common. as were remnants of destroyed buildings...and
WW-II barbed wire.

One day, while parked in down-town Nuremberg I realized that the brick-paved
parking lot was the very square where Hitler gave many of his speeches.
A very eerie feeling!

philo

On 10/19/2011 08:35 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2011-10-19 16:25:50 -0700, "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

<snip>
eerie feeling!

> I can remember London in 1955 when our whole family congregated to
> celebrate my Great-Grandmother's (on my mother's side)100th birthday.
> The place was bleak, filthy and seemed to be in a state of decay with
> war damage reconstruction going on everywhere. The notorious London fog
> and pollution from coal heated homes was pervasive. I remember black &
> dirty yellow snow in Hyde Park.
> That was 10 years after the end of the war, and there was a supposed
> victor struggling to recover.
> That was an impression which remains etched in my memory. When visiting
> the UK and London, I always anticipate that vision of a wasteland, and
> am always pleasantly surprised to see that great city has healed and
> grown past those dark days.

I did get to London in 1971 and there was still the smell of coal.

Kind of disappointed (in a way) that when I took my daughter there in
1988...there was no more coal smell. I am sure the Londoners were not
disappointed however. OTOH: The probably never noticed it in the first place

philo

On 10/19/2011 09:59 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 18:35:31 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2011-10-19 16:25:50 -0700, "philo"<(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>

>>> "Savageduck"<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>> Here

>>> Amazing, historic photos.

<snip>

> I recently travelled through St Petersburg. The city was a burned out
> ruin after the war but you could not tell that now. Even so, they are
> still restoring buildings.
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric Stevens

Wow... St. Petersburg would be one place I'd like to go.
I may never get there but am so happy that thanks to Google Earth
I was at least somewhat able to take a tour.

Amazing!

Irwell

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 15:59:48 +1300, Eric Stevens wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 18:35:31 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>>On 2011-10-19 16:25:50 -0700, "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>

>>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>>Here

>>> Amazing, historic photos.
>>>
>>> I was stationed in Germany 25 years after the war and there was still plenty
>>> of damage in sight.
>>> Blown-up bunkers were common. as were remnants of destroyed buildings...and
>>> WW-II barbed wire.
>>>
>>> One day, while parked in down-town Nuremberg I realized that the brick-paved
>>> parking lot was the very square where Hitler gave many of his speeches.
>>> A very eerie feeling!

>>I can remember London in 1955 when our whole family congregated to
>>celebrate my Great-Grandmother's (on my mother's side)100th birthday.
>>The place was bleak, filthy and seemed to be in a state of decay with
>>war damage reconstruction going on everywhere. The notorious London fog
>>and pollution from coal heated homes was pervasive. I remember black &
>>dirty yellow snow in Hyde Park.
>>That was 10 years after the end of the war, and there was a supposed
>>victor struggling to recover.
>>That was an impression which remains etched in my memory. When visiting
>>the UK and London, I always anticipate that vision of a wasteland, and
>>am always pleasantly surprised to see that great city has healed and
>>grown past those dark days.

> I recently travelled through St Petersburg. The city was a burned out
> ruin after the war but you could not tell that now. Even so, they are
> still restoring buildings.
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric Stevens

I went when it was still Leningrad, a murky mess of a city then,
reminded me of Manchester after the 1940 blitz.

PeterN

On 10/19/2011 9:35 PM, Savageduck wrote:
<> snip

> and pollution from coal heated homes was pervasive. I remember black &
> dirty yellow snow in Hyde Park.

Never, never, never eat yellow snow.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 10/19/2011 10:59 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 18:35:31 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2011-10-19 16:25:50 -0700, "philo"<(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>

>>> "Savageduck"<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>> Here

>>> Amazing, historic photos.
>>>
>>> I was stationed in Germany 25 years after the war and there was still plenty
>>> of damage in sight.
>>> Blown-up bunkers were common. as were remnants of destroyed buildings...and
>>> WW-II barbed wire.
>>>
>>> One day, while parked in down-town Nuremberg I realized that the brick-paved
>>> parking lot was the very square where Hitler gave many of his speeches.
>>> A very eerie feeling!

>> I can remember London in 1955 when our whole family congregated to
>> celebrate my Great-Grandmother's (on my mother's side)100th birthday.
>> The place was bleak, filthy and seemed to be in a state of decay with
>> war damage reconstruction going on everywhere. The notorious London fog
>> and pollution from coal heated homes was pervasive. I remember black&
>> dirty yellow snow in Hyde Park.
>> That was 10 years after the end of the war, and there was a supposed
>> victor struggling to recover.
>> That was an impression which remains etched in my memory. When visiting
>> the UK and London, I always anticipate that vision of a wasteland, and
>> am always pleasantly surprised to see that great city has healed and
>> grown past those dark days.

> I recently travelled through St Petersburg. The city was a burned out
> ruin after the war but you could not tell that now. Even so, they are
> still restoring buildings.

That place is on my bucket list.

--
Peter

John Turco

philo wrote:

<edited for brevity>

> I was stationed in Germany 25 years after the war and there was still plenty
> of damage in sight.
> Blown-up bunkers were common. as were remnants of destroyed buildings...and
> WW-II barbed wire.
>
> One day, while parked in down-town Nuremberg I realized that the brick-paved
> parking lot was the very square where Hitler gave many of his speeches.
> A very eerie feeling!

Don't those dummkopf know about urban renewal?

--
Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>