Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Infinite DOF? The ultimate "pin-hole" camera??

Infinite DOF? The ultimate "pin-hole" camera??

RichA

I doubt it. But it looks...cute.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11...aannounced.asp

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I doubt it. But it looks...cute.
>http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11...aannounced.asp

You can play with an image produced by the camera here:

http://www.lytro.com/living-pictures/282

Wait for it to load fully, then you can click on any part of the image
to refocus it. I couldn't get it to focus on the nearest subjects,
though, no matter how many times I tried.

philo

On 10/19/2011 06:16 PM, Bruce wrote:
> RichA<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I doubt it. But it looks...cute.
>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11...aannounced.asp

> You can play with an image produced by the camera here:
>
> http://www.lytro.com/living-pictures/282
>
> Wait for it to load fully, then you can click on any part of the image
> to refocus it. I couldn't get it to focus on the nearest subjects,
> though, no matter how many times I tried.

worked fine here
maybe you have a browser problem?

Irwell

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 15:55:33 +1300, Eric Stevens wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 00:16:49 +0100, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>I doubt it. But it looks...cute.
>>>http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11...aannounced.asp

>>You can play with an image produced by the camera here:
>>
>>http://www.lytro.com/living-pictures/282
>>
>>Wait for it to load fully, then you can click on any part of the image
>>to refocus it. I couldn't get it to focus on the nearest subjects,
>>though, no matter how many times I tried.
>>

> I had no problem. The effect was particularly noticeable in the
> spider, butterfly and seal pictures.

It seems like an all or nothing type of gimmick.
Some parts remain out of focus depending on which part
of the pictures is clicked on.

David J Taylor

"RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I doubt it. But it looks...cute.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11...aannounced.asp

So it's just 2 Mpix ("HD quality") and you have to upload your pictures to
Lytro to have them refocussed, and those uploads are only free for the
"first customers"?

David

bob

This is a very neat technology.

What is a great use for this other than a neat toy?

This is a solution looking for a problem.

I wonder if the images can be processed so that all objects are in focus at
the same time. If so, this would be infinite DOF indeed. Perhaps this could
be combined with very fast lenses at wide open aperture which is usually
impractical because of the too shadow DOF.

Sandman

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I doubt it. But it looks...cute.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11...aannounced.asp

Mac-only software for now.

--
Sandman[.net]

RichA

On Oct 19, 7:16*pm, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >I doubt it. *But it looks...cute.
> >http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/11...aannounced.asp

> You can play with an image produced by the camera here:
>
> http://www.lytro.com/living-pictures/282
>
> Wait for it to load fully, then you can click on any part of the image
> to refocus it. *I couldn't get it to focus on the nearest subjects,
> though, no matter how many times I tried. *

This reminds me of those cheap binoculars (Bushnell) that have no
focus mechanism and rely on your eye to achieve a kind of focus from
about 20ft to infinity.

RichA

On Oct 20, 5:30*am, "bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> This is a very neat technology.
>
> What is a great use for this other than a neat toy?
>
> This is a solution looking for a problem.

It could be used to refine focus when doing close-ups. Where people
(or the camera) accidentally focuses on the tip of a nose instead of
the eyes, etc.

David J Taylor

"RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[]
> This reminds me of those cheap binoculars (Bushnell) that have no
> focus mechanism and rely on your eye to achieve a kind of focus from
> about 20ft to infinity.

My Bushnell binoculars have both focus and diopter adjustments. You need
to pay more next time!