Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Commercial photo printing technology

Commercial photo printing technology

Dishum

Can anyone please tell me which printing technology is most
commonly used these days at commercial photo printing shops to
churn out hundreds or thousands of 6x4 prints a day? I mean the
ones that probably cost tens of thousands of dollars, maybe more.
I did some googling but got swamped with descriptions of printers
more suitable for personal use. I probably did not use the right
search parameters but I'm confident that many readers here will
be able to give some concise answers. Thanks in advance.

Martin Brown

On 19/10/2011 18:42, Dishum wrote:
> Can anyone please tell me which printing technology is most
> commonly used these days at commercial photo printing shops to
> churn out hundreds or thousands of 6x4 prints a day? I mean the
> ones that probably cost tens of thousands of dollars, maybe more.
> I did some googling but got swamped with descriptions of printers
> more suitable for personal use. I probably did not use the right
> search parameters but I'm confident that many readers here will
> be able to give some concise answers. Thanks in advance.

Unclear from the question which printer technology you are asking about,
but Google with Fuji, Frontier and/or Kodak ought to work.
Try for example:

http://business.fujifilm.co.uk/photo...frontier-dl400

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Dishum

Martin Brown wrote:
> On 19/10/2011 18:42, Dishum wrote:
>> Can anyone please tell me which printing technology is most
>> commonly used these days at commercial photo printing shops to
>> churn out hundreds or thousands of 6x4 prints a day? I mean
>> the
>> ones that probably cost tens of thousands of dollars, maybe
>> more.
>> I did some googling but got swamped with descriptions of
>> printers
>> more suitable for personal use. I probably did not use the
>> right
>> search parameters but I'm confident that many readers here
>> will
>> be able to give some concise answers. Thanks in advance.
>>

> Unclear from the question which printer technology you are
> asking
> about, but Google with Fuji, Frontier and/or Kodak ought to
> work.
> Try for example:
>
> http://business.fujifilm.co.uk/photo...frontier-dl400

Thanks. So, for example, the Fuji DL410 uses 4-color inkjet
technology, specifically piezo inkjet, and prints 6x4s at 720x720
dpi and can do about 650 prints/hr. Is this typical of machines
used by commercial print shops, particularly about its being an
inkjet? Are there other technologies that are comparably popular
for digital photos?

Bruce

"Dishum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Martin Brown wrote:
>> On 19/10/2011 18:42, Dishum wrote:
>>> Can anyone please tell me which printing technology is most
>>> commonly used these days at commercial photo printing shops to
>>> churn out hundreds or thousands of 6x4 prints a day? I mean
>>> the
>>> ones that probably cost tens of thousands of dollars, maybe
>>> more.
>>> I did some googling but got swamped with descriptions of
>>> printers
>>> more suitable for personal use. I probably did not use the
>>> right
>>> search parameters but I'm confident that many readers here
>>> will
>>> be able to give some concise answers. Thanks in advance.
>>>

>> Unclear from the question which printer technology you are
>> asking
>> about, but Google with Fuji, Frontier and/or Kodak ought to
>> work.
>> Try for example:
>>
>> http://business.fujifilm.co.uk/photo...frontier-dl400

>Thanks. So, for example, the Fuji DL410 uses 4-color inkjet
>technology, specifically piezo inkjet, and prints 6x4s at 720x720
>dpi and can do about 650 prints/hr. Is this typical of machines
>used by commercial print shops, particularly about its being an
>inkjet? Are there other technologies that are comparably popular
>for digital photos?

The minilab market is in a state of change at this time. Many labs
are still using units that were designed for mixed film/digital use,
and these tend to have print units that use traditional chemicals.

Newer equipment tends to be inkjet. A couple of years from now,
inkjet will have the majority of the market.

Martin Brown

On 19/10/2011 19:17, Dishum wrote:
> Martin Brown wrote:
>> On 19/10/2011 18:42, Dishum wrote:
>>> Can anyone please tell me which printing technology is most
>>> commonly used these days at commercial photo printing shops to
>>> churn out hundreds or thousands of 6x4 prints a day? I mean
>>> the
>>> ones that probably cost tens of thousands of dollars, maybe
>>> more.
>>> I did some googling but got swamped with descriptions of
>>> printers
>>> more suitable for personal use. I probably did not use the
>>> right
>>> search parameters but I'm confident that many readers here
>>> will
>>> be able to give some concise answers. Thanks in advance.
>>>

>> Unclear from the question which printer technology you are
>> asking
>> about, but Google with Fuji, Frontier and/or Kodak ought to
>> work.
>> Try for example:
>>
>> http://business.fujifilm.co.uk/photo...frontier-dl400

> Thanks. So, for example, the Fuji DL410 uses 4-color inkjet
> technology, specifically piezo inkjet, and prints 6x4s at 720x720
> dpi and can do about 650 prints/hr. Is this typical of machines
> used by commercial print shops, particularly about its being an
> inkjet? Are there other technologies that are comparably popular
> for digital photos?

There is wet process too which I prefer as it is less inclined to fade.
Fujicolour Crystal Archive starts with the 7nn series (same page).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Mike

On 19/10/2011 1:42 PM, Dishum wrote:
> Can anyone please tell me which printing technology is most
> commonly used these days at commercial photo printing shops to
> churn out hundreds or thousands of 6x4 prints a day? I mean the
> ones that probably cost tens of thousands of dollars, maybe more.
> I did some googling but got swamped with descriptions of printers
> more suitable for personal use. I probably did not use the right
> search parameters but I'm confident that many readers here will
> be able to give some concise answers. Thanks in advance.

These are normally a photo chemical hybrid machine. The same Kodak RA/4
chemistry that wet labs have used for years. The top-end now is a
scanner and the output is done with lasers. Bonus of these machines is
they can handle film negatives, both B&W and Colour, as well as Colour
Slides, and Digital files. The paper is colour photographic paper,
processed in chemistry. Operator cost is less than 80 cents per square
foot, where an ink jet print is more like $3.00 sq.ft. Paper depending
on the machine is either 250' or 500' and these machines have a
throughput of around 5 minutes dry-to-dry.

Let's say I needed 200 8x10 glossy, like an actor or a band. I would
set-up the print or file, set the counter, pour a cup of coffee and all
200 prints will come out the end of the machine. If I tried this with my
Epson printer, I would have a time line of 200 x 4 minutes = 800 minutes
(assuming I didn't run out of ink...) so around 12-13 hours, versus
about one hour with the lab.

Mike

Dishum

Mike wrote:
> On 19/10/2011 1:42 PM, Dishum wrote:
>> Can anyone please tell me which printing technology is most
>> commonly used these days at commercial photo printing shops to
>> churn out hundreds or thousands of 6x4 prints a day? I mean
>> the
>> ones that probably cost tens of thousands of dollars, maybe
>> more.
>> I did some googling but got swamped with descriptions of
>> printers
>> more suitable for personal use. I probably did not use the
>> right
>> search parameters but I'm confident that many readers here
>> will
>> be able to give some concise answers. Thanks in advance.
>>

> These are normally a photo chemical hybrid machine. The same
> Kodak
> RA/4 chemistry that wet labs have used for years. The top-end
> now is a
> scanner and the output is done with lasers. Bonus of these
> machines is
> they can handle film negatives, both B&W and Colour, as well as
> Colour
> Slides, and Digital files. The paper is colour photographic
> paper,
> processed in chemistry. Operator cost is less than 80 cents per
> square
> foot, where an ink jet print is more like $3.00 sq.ft. Paper
> depending
> on the machine is either 250' or 500' and these machines have a
> throughput of around 5 minutes dry-to-dry.
>
> Let's say I needed 200 8x10 glossy, like an actor or a band. I
> would
> set-up the print or file, set the counter, pour a cup of coffee
> and
> all 200 prints will come out the end of the machine. If I tried
> this
> with my Epson printer, I would have a time line of 200 x 4
> minutes =
> 800 minutes (assuming I didn't run out of ink...) so around
> 12-13
> hours, versus about one hour with the lab.
>
> Mike

Thanks to all who replied. I now have a much better idea of
what's being used in labs these days.