Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Leica Camera owner sells 44% stake to Blackstone investment funds

Leica Camera owner sells 44% stake to Blackstone investment funds

Chris Malcolm

Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On 10/22/11 PDT 10:38 PM, nospam wrote:

>>> it's obsolete.
>>>
>>> most people look up phone numbers on line, usually from a google
>>> search, or they might use yellowpages.com or similar. smartphone users
>>> have yellow& white pages apps, or they can just ask the phone to find
>>> a number.

>>Most people, eh? Most people on this froup, yeah, maybe even most people
>>- more than 50%- online. But not most people.
>>
>>Obsolete? To you, yes, but not as a generality.

> For me, Yellow Pages will be obsolete only when the company stops
> delivering a free annual copy to my door. They delivered my latest
> copy about a month ago.

Quite so. I never use them, because using the Web via computer or
smartphone is so much easier and better. But my wife won't touch
anything with a screen or a keyboard, and uses Yellow Pages a lot.

Seems the word "obsolescent" might have become obsolete amongst the
computerate

--
Chris Malcolm

Bruce

Chris Malcolm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> For me, Yellow Pages will be obsolete only when the company stops
>> delivering a free annual copy to my door. They delivered my latest
>> copy about a month ago.

>Quite so. I never use them, because using the Web via computer or
>smartphone is so much easier and better. But my wife won't touch
>anything with a screen or a keyboard, and uses Yellow Pages a lot.

In the event you suffer from withdrawal systems, you can access them
online via Yell.com, at least in the UK.

>Seems the word "obsolescent" might have become obsolete amongst the
>computerate

Should that be "computerati", as in glitterati?

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bruce
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> For me, Yellow Pages will be obsolete only when the company stops
> delivering a free annual copy to my door. They delivered my latest
> copy about a month ago.

there is an opt-out number to call to cancel deliveries.

Bruce

nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bruce
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> For me, Yellow Pages will be obsolete only when the company stops
>> delivering a free annual copy to my door. They delivered my latest
>> copy about a month ago.

>there is an opt-out number to call to cancel deliveries.

Not in the UK, there isn't!

The only opt-out is to put the Yellow Pages in the recycling bin.

PeterN

On 10/22/2011 11:41 PM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 20:50:03 -0400, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> "Private equity firm" They are like the witch in Hansel and Gretel,
>>> fattening up the children. They infuse the companies with cash, "buy"
>>> business at whatever rate is needed in order to make them attractive
>>> as sales items. I've seen it many times. In some cases, taking
>>> losses in order to make the companies appear healthier than they
>>> really are.
>>> I read about a case that happened in Canada with a telephone directory
>>> firm called "SuperPages." They were owned by Telus, who sold them to
>>> Verizon for $700M, who sold them three years later to a private equity
>>> firm in Boston for $1.8B, who bought them a new $20M Toronto office
>>> complex and poured money in (to make them look much more robust than
>>> they were), then flipped them to Yellowpages 7 months later for
>>> $2.5B. Needless to say, Yellowpages never got their money back by
>>> what amounted to eliminating a much smaller competitor. But, the
>>> roundabout way in which this was done allowed them to avoid anti-
>>> competition legislation and concentrate 90% of the phone directory
>>> market in Canada under one roof.

>> Yellow page advertising has become obsolete. But, don't let the facts
>> bother you.

> Obsolete? You have an odd concept of what "obsolete" means. We
> depend on the Yellow Pages less now than we did a decade ago, but it's
> far from an obsolete method of locating information about businesses
> that provide a service we're looking for.

I don't know what you use it for, but most I know use the Internet for
that type of research.

--
Peter

John McWilliams

On 10/23/11 PDT 9:12 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 08:46:20 -0700, John McWilliams<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : On 10/22/11 PDT 10:38 PM, nospam wrote:
> :> In article<(E-Mail Removed) >, tony cooper
> :> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :
> :>> Obsolete? You have an odd concept of what "obsolete" means. We
> :>> depend on the Yellow Pages less now than we did a decade ago, but it's
> :>> far from an obsolete method of locating information about businesses
> :>> that provide a service we're looking for.
> :>
> :> it's obsolete.
> :>
> :> most people look up phone numbers on line, usually from a google
> :> search, or they might use yellowpages.com or similar. smartphone users
> :> have yellow& white pages apps, or they can just ask the phone to find
> :> a number.
> :
> : Most people, eh? Most people on this froup, yeah, maybe even most people
> : - more than 50%- online. But not most people.
> :
> : Obsolete? To you, yes, but not as a generality.
> :
> : To many, proper grammar Including the use of capitalization is not
> : obsolete.
>
> But not, I assume, to people on this froup. Because in your statement,
> "Including" should not be capitalized. (You also need commas after "grammar"
> and "capitalization".)

Right on one point, the errant cap. on "including". Crap proof reading
on my part. Originally, I was going to set off the phrase with commas,
but hit a period instead, creating the capital "I" in "including". Then
I decided I wouldn't set it off, so deleted the period, and completed
the sentence but overlooked the cap.

The setting off of "including the use of capitalization" is entirely
discretionary in that sentence. Some will prefer it each way; neither is
wrong.

Thanks for noticing.

Robert Coe

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 21:24:54 -0700, John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On 10/23/11 PDT 9:12 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
: > On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 08:46:20 -0700, John McWilliams<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: > : On 10/22/11 PDT 10:38 PM, nospam wrote:
: > :> In article<(E-Mail Removed) >, tony cooper
: > :> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: > :
: > :>> Obsolete? You have an odd concept of what "obsolete" means. We
: > :>> depend on the Yellow Pages less now than we did a decade ago, but it's
: > :>> far from an obsolete method of locating information about businesses
: > :>> that provide a service we're looking for.
: > :>
: > :> it's obsolete.
: > :>
: > :> most people look up phone numbers on line, usually from a google
: > :> search, or they might use yellowpages.com or similar. smartphone users
: > :> have yellow& white pages apps, or they can just ask the phone to find
: > :> a number.
: > :
: > : Most people, eh? Most people on this froup, yeah, maybe even most people
: > : - more than 50%- online. But not most people.
: > :
: > : Obsolete? To you, yes, but not as a generality.
: > :
: > : To many, proper grammar Including the use of capitalization is not
: > : obsolete.
: >
: > But not, I assume, to people on this froup. Because in your statement,
: > "Including" should not be capitalized. (You also need commas after "grammar"
: > and "capitalization".)
:
: Right on one point, the errant cap. on "including". Crap proof reading
: on my part. Originally, I was going to set off the phrase with commas,
: but hit a period instead, creating the capital "I" in "including". Then
: I decided I wouldn't set it off, so deleted the period, and completed
: the sentence but overlooked the cap.
:
: The setting off of "including the use of capitalization" is entirely
: discretionary in that sentence. Some will prefer it each way; neither is
: wrong.

My 11th grade English teacher, Cecilia Aarons, would have *insisted* on those
commas!

: Thanks for noticing.

Thanks for not taking it personnally. ;^)

Bob

Kennedy McEwen

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bruce
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bruce
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> For me, Yellow Pages will be obsolete only when the company stops
>>> delivering a free annual copy to my door. They delivered my latest
>>> copy about a month ago.

>>there is an opt-out number to call to cancel deliveries.

>Not in the UK, there isn't!
>
>The only opt-out is to put the Yellow Pages in the recycling bin.

DON'T DO THAT!

The yellow dye in Yellow Pages makes the paper non-recyclable. My local
authority, for example, specifically requests that Yellow Pages are
placed in the general waste bin, not the recycling bin.
--
Kennedy

Bruce

Kennedy McEwen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bruce
><(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>The only opt-out is to put the Yellow Pages in the recycling bin.
>>

>DON'T DO THAT!
>
>The yellow dye in Yellow Pages makes the paper non-recyclable. My local
>authority, for example, specifically requests that Yellow Pages are
>placed in the general waste bin, not the recycling bin.

My local council is quite happy to accept Yellow Pages, and indeed any
other paper product, in the recycling bin.

Perhaps you should move house to somewhere less restrictive.

Kennedy McEwen

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bruce
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>Perhaps you should move house to somewhere less restrictive.

That suggestion is just as environmentally, and economically, naive as
your previous one.
--
Kennedy