Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > You might be waiting a tad longer for that new NEX

You might be waiting a tad longer for that new NEX

RichA

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ws_310054.html

The truth is *much worse than that*. Not only has Sony's Thai
production stopped, but so has Nikon's and Canon's. There will be a
shortage of stock for the peak selling season - basically mid-November
to mid-January, in Europe at least - and retailers are not pleased.

Bruce

Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 13:31:42 +0100, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ws_310054.html

>>The truth is *much worse than that*. Not only has Sony's Thai
>>production stopped, but so has Nikon's and Canon's. ...

>... not to mention Honda. The impact of the floods is more than on the
>photographic industries and involves a lot of companies trying to
>restore production after the Japanese earthquake.

I didn't include Honda because the company has a negligible influence
on digital photography.

Perhaps you intended to post to rec.motorcycles?

RichA

On Oct 19, 8:31*am, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...camera_product...

> The truth is *much worse than that*. *Not only has Sony's Thai
> production stopped, but so has Nikon's and Canon's. *There will be a
> shortage of stock for the peak selling season - basically mid-November
> to mid-January, in Europe at least - and retailers are not pleased.

That is unfortunate. Christmas just being around the corner. I guess
this is where JIT bites them in the ass?

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Oct 19, 8:31*am, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...camera_product...

>> The truth is *much worse than that*. *Not only has Sony's Thai
>> production stopped, but so has Nikon's and Canon's. *There will be a
>> shortage of stock for the peak selling season - basically mid-November
>> to mid-January, in Europe at least - and retailers are not pleased.

>That is unfortunate. Christmas just being around the corner.

I have spent most of this week locating and purchasing stock for the
season for delivery before the end of October. I think I have managed
to find just about enough Nikon, Sony, Panasonic and Olympus equipment
for our needs, but Canon is more difficult.

Olympus is the easiest, they always seem to have plenty of stock.

I am working from home, but I understand our first Sigma SD1 arrived
today. We had no option but to buy one. We have no orders for it. I
have no idea how we will sell it - but we will, eventually.

Robert Coe

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 13:54:34 -0700 (PDT), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On Oct 19, 8:31*am, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: >
:
: That is unfortunate. Christmas just being around the corner. I guess
: this is where JIT bites them in the ass?

Maybe, maybe not. A natural disaster like this has two major consequences:
loss of inventory and loss of production capacity. JIT tends to insure against
loss of inventory. It doesn't insure against loss of production capacity, but
only a foolish company concentrates a major fraction of its production in a
flood plain. As you and Bruce have pointed out, what makes this event so
serious is that it comes at about the worst possible time, disrupting
production intended to meet the Christmas demand.

It's bad for the Thai workers too, of course, but it's an ill wind that blows
nobody any good. The companies' Japanese and Chinese plants will be working at
full capacity, trying to catch up with the demand. Which raises another
spectre: that quality will suffer, as it often does when things are done in a
hurry.

Bob

Robert Coe

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 21:58:49 -0500, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
: news:(E-Mail Removed):
: > I am working from home, but I understand our first Sigma SD1 arrived
: > today. We had no option but to buy one. We have no orders for it. I
: > have no idea how we will sell it - but we will, eventually.
:
: There's a store in Toronto called, Merkle Camera. They kind of specialize
: in the weird. Sigma (They had the other SD's), Leica, etc. Maybe you can
: fob it off on them? Though I don't know what the "rules" are regarding
: this.

Popular Photography has a review of the SD1 in their current issue. It's sort
of amusing to see them grope for things to praise ("one of the most
comfortable grips we've ever had the pleasure of wrapping our fingers around")
about this ludicrously overpriced camera. I guess they'd prefer not to anger a
major advertiser.

Bob

Bruce

Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 13:54:34 -0700 (PDT), RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>: On Oct 19, 8:31*am, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>: > RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>: >
>: > >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...camera_product...
>: >
>: > The truth is *much worse than that*. *Not only has Sony's Thai
>: > production stopped, but so has Nikon's and Canon's. *There will be a
>: > shortage of stock for the peak selling season - basically mid-November
>: > to mid-January, in Europe at least - and retailers are not pleased.
>:
>: That is unfortunate. Christmas just being around the corner. I guess
>: this is where JIT bites them in the ass?
>
>Maybe, maybe not. A natural disaster like this has two major consequences:
>loss of inventory and loss of production capacity. JIT tends to insure against
>loss of inventory. It doesn't insure against loss of production capacity, but
>only a foolish company concentrates a major fraction of its production in a
>flood plain. As you and Bruce have pointed out, what makes this event so
>serious is that it comes at about the worst possible time, disrupting
>production intended to meet the Christmas demand.

Two points here. On the question of basing production plants in flood
plains, that happens all over the world because the land is cheap and
flat, and therefore easy and cheap to build large factories on. No
doubt there will be an inquest into why the flood defences were
insufficient to protect the land from inundation during this extreme
weather event.

On the question of loss of production, the problem is particularly
acute for Sony because two key products were due to be launched, the
NEX-7 mirrorless CSC and the A77 SLT.

Some inventory has already been despatched from Thailand to major
markets in the USA and Europe. The question is, what should Sony do
with that inventory? Should the NEX-7 and A77 be released, knowing
that the initial stocks will quickly sell out and there won't be any
chance of replenishing them for several months? Or should Sony store
this inventory until production resumes and continuity of supply can
be maintained? Without the A77, the Alpha range is already struggling
to survive, and this could kill it off.

Ironically, only this week Sony UK made dealers aware that there will
definitely be an A99 SLT in 2012 with a 36 MP full frame sensor, EVF
and pellicle mirror. After the flood, I wonder just how "definite"
that will be.

Nikon is also badly affected with all DX (APS-C) DSLR production
stopped because the factory is flooded. I haven't heard anything
about Canon's situation.

Bruce

Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Popular Photography has a review of the SD1 in their current issue. It's sort
>of amusing to see them grope for things to praise ("one of the most
>comfortable grips we've ever had the pleasure of wrapping our fingers around")
>about this ludicrously overpriced camera. I guess they'd prefer not to anger a
>major advertiser.

No one can afford to upset Sigma. Their lenses are one of our biggest
earners, so I have to say that the Sigma SD1 is probably the finest
DSLR ever made. I have to agree with PopPhoto that the SD1's grip is
very fine indeed.

Expensive? As Rolls-Royce/Bentley used to say in the days when they
were the same company: if you have to ask the price of the car, then
you cannot afford one.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Robert Coe
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Popular Photography has a review of the SD1 in their current issue. It's sort
> of amusing to see them grope for things to praise ("one of the most
> comfortable grips we've ever had the pleasure of wrapping our fingers around")
> about this ludicrously overpriced camera. I guess they'd prefer not to anger a
> major advertiser.

for $7000 it damned well better come with a nice grip!

the best part is where they say it's the best sigma dslr ever made.
that's not saying much of anything, especially considering how crappy
the previous sigma slrs were.