Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Full frame DSLR developments

Full frame DSLR developments

Bruce

Latest rumours:

Canon is due to make a major product announcement at events around the
globe on Tuesday, October 18 2011. That much is known. The rumour is
that it will be a full frame DSLR, probably the latest version of the
1Ds, or 1D - the days of APS-H may be numbered.

Nikon's announcement of the D700 replacement has been delayed from its
original August 24 date by the continuing production problems in Japan
following the earthquake/tsunami. It may be further delayed following
the news that Nikon's production facility in Thailand has been
affected by a severe flood event. The strong rumours are that it will
be called D800 and have a 36 MP full frame sensor made under contract
by Sony.

Not surprisingly, the final rumour is that the 36 MP sensor is likely
to find itself in installed a Sony Alpha body. Unfortunately it will
be an SLT with pellicle mirror rather than a DSLR, which will be
devastating news for the rapidly dwindling number of Sony Alpha fans.

PeterN

On 10/14/2011 8:56 AM, Bruce wrote:
> Latest rumours:
>
> Canon is due to make a major product announcement at events around the
> globe on Tuesday, October 18 2011. That much is known. The rumour is
> that it will be a full frame DSLR, probably the latest version of the
> 1Ds, or 1D - the days of APS-H may be numbered.
>
> Nikon's announcement of the D700 replacement has been delayed from its
> original August 24 date by the continuing production problems in Japan
> following the earthquake/tsunami. It may be further delayed following
> the news that Nikon's production facility in Thailand has been
> affected by a severe flood event. The strong rumours are that it will
> be called D800 and have a 36 MP full frame sensor made under contract
> by Sony.
>
> Not surprisingly, the final rumour is that the 36 MP sensor is likely
> to find itself in installed a Sony Alpha body. Unfortunately it will
> be an SLT with pellicle mirror rather than a DSLR, which will be
> devastating news for the rapidly dwindling number of Sony Alpha fans.

IIRC, for the reasons stated by Bruce RE: problems n Japan, I gave that
same opinion, without reading Nikon rumors.
Expect the availability of the new Nikon Professional gear no earlier
than August of next year.

--
Peter