Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Debugging Classic ASP - Attach Dll host

Debugging Classic ASP - Attach Dll host

Mobileboy36

Hello Group,

I'm trying to debug a classic ASP page in VS 2008 SP1 on a Win 2003 server
machine.
I read you need to attach dllhost.exe.
That's the problem. When I start VS Tools menu -> Attach to process,
Dllhost.exe does not appear in the list.
As a consequence, I can not attach DllHost.exe.

I'm able to set breakpoints, but VS doesn't hit them.

How can I visualise DllHost.exe in the list?

Thanks.

Dan

"Mobileboy36" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OcA$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Group,
>
> I'm trying to debug a classic ASP page in VS 2008 SP1 on a Win 2003 server
> machine.
> I read you need to attach dllhost.exe.
> That's the problem. When I start VS Tools menu -> Attach to process,
> Dllhost.exe does not appear in the list.
> As a consequence, I can not attach DllHost.exe.
>
> I'm able to set breakpoints, but VS doesn't hit them.
>
> How can I visualise DllHost.exe in the list?
>

> Thanks.

AFAIK DLLHost only appears on IIS5 on Windows 2000, or in IIS6 is you are
running the site in IIS5 isolation mode. Since IIS6 everything runs within
in the w3wp.exe process.

I've also found references to DLLHost hosting ATL applications under Windows
2003 in Medium or High protection settings. But ASP is not an ATL
application, so this won't apply.

--
Dan

Mobileboy36

Hello,

Thank you...

I found w3wp.exe but it's grayed out.
Since i'm using a virtual machine, I will try VS 2003 tommorow.
Maybe you know why w3wp.exe is grayed out

best regards
Mobile boy

"Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Mobileboy36" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OcA$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello Group,
>>
>> I'm trying to debug a classic ASP page in VS 2008 SP1 on a Win 2003
>> server machine.
>> I read you need to attach dllhost.exe.
>> That's the problem. When I start VS Tools menu -> Attach to process,
>> Dllhost.exe does not appear in the list.
>> As a consequence, I can not attach DllHost.exe.
>>
>> I'm able to set breakpoints, but VS doesn't hit them.
>>
>> How can I visualise DllHost.exe in the list?
>>

>> Thanks.

> AFAIK DLLHost only appears on IIS5 on Windows 2000, or in IIS6 is you are
> running the site in IIS5 isolation mode. Since IIS6 everything runs within
> in the w3wp.exe process.
>
> I've also found references to DLLHost hosting ATL applications under
> Windows 2003 in Medium or High protection settings. But ASP is not an ATL
> application, so this won't apply.
>
> --
> Dan

Dan

I don't debug using VS, but a Google search threw this up as the first
result:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...-is-grayed-out

Are you by any chance running debug diagnotics on the IIS server? Or any
other debug tool that is attaching to w3wp?