Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > A replacement for about-to-be-closed NGs

A replacement for about-to-be-closed NGs

Mark McGinty

Greets,

To those of us who, for whatever reason, are still using "unsupported"
technologies, these news groups are a valuable resource. The quasi-related
forums to which Microsoft has invited us are hardly replacements, posts
about
'classic' technologies will be OT, and I'm sure pretty much everyone who
posts questions about them would rather see responses more meaningful than,
"consider upgrading to [something that is still supported]."

In hopes of filling the void that will be left by these pending closures,
I've added a section to a forum I created a couple of years ago,
www.deprecatethis.com. I created it after reading that the Windows API was
to be
deprecated. I think the sentiment applies here as well, so I'm offering it
as a
replacement -- of course it isn't a news group, but at least the questions
we used to post in these newsgroups will be on-topic. Another plus is that
the site admin (that would be me) will be highly receptive to suggestions,
making this a chance to shape a new community.

To be honest at this moment www.deprecatethis.com isn't much of a forum --
the software
(Yet Another Forum) is decent, but it isn't quite a hot-bed of discussion.
About
the only thing that has attracted any attention is a script I wrote to work
around the Send To->Mail Recipient problem in x64 with Office/Outlook
installed. That script is the only thing anyone (besides myself) has posted
about.

But maybe all that will change, I've created forums for classic ADO, classic
ASP and VB6; any suggestions/requests for additional
forums are welcome. (Reasonable suggestions will be implemented promptly.)

I understand the preference for NNTP over web-based forums, but
unfortunately I lack the means to host an NNTP server, this is all I have to
offer, so... Please consider yourself invited to join.

-Mark McGinty

btw, if sending this post makes me a spammer, I apologize for the offense.
Ordinarily I wouldn't have done this but these NGs are going away soon, a
window is closing, so I figured what do I have to lose?

How to Have Only Unread Msgs Showing When 1st Accessing NGs Herb Firefox 3 02-04-2005 09:58 PM
Can I download Freeserve NGs on NTL connection? Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt Computer Support 15 07-06-2004 10:28 PM
OE Ngs. Qintin Computer Support 3 05-22-2004 10:36 PM
Other ngs Situation Toasted Computer Support 2 12-12-2003 11:56 AM
Help with NGs tom jackson Computer Support 2 11-19-2003 11:38 PM

Advertisments