Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > IIS Randomly Hanging

IIS Randomly Hanging

mgdev

I need some help on how to troubleshoot IIS Randomly Hanging on my server.

Late last year we upgraded our ASP.net (2.0) application with a lot of new
features. Now that we've rolled this new version out to many of our
customers we're getting complaints about IIS hanging and needing to be
restarted. Unfortunately, this hanging is random. After the restart of IIS
the application works as expected. We are unable to predictably reproduce
this hanging situation. But at some point, anywhere from an hour to a few
days, the w3wp.exe will hang again and prevent the system from being used. I
have observed this first hand, but as I stated above, after restarting IIS I
can't reproduce the problem.

We have seen this problem in both IIS6 (Server 2003) and IIS7 (Server 200.

If you have any suggestions on how I can go about troubleshooting or
resolving this issue I'd like to know. Please know that this is an urgent
matter so if there are any options I can try that would minimize this problem
for the short term I'd like to explore that as well.

Bob Barrows

mgdev wrote:
> I need some help on how to troubleshoot IIS Randomly Hanging on my
> server.
>
> Late last year we upgraded our ASP.net (2.0) application with a lot

**********canned wrong newsgroup reply****************************
recommended practice), but this is a classic (COM-based) asp newsgroup.
ASP.Net is a different technology from classic ASP. While you may be
lucky enough to find a dotnet-savvy person here who can answer your
question, you can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to
a newsgroup where the dotnet-savvy people hang out. I suggest

to help you.

HTH,
Bob Barrows
**********canned wrong newsgroup reply****************************

You might try checking the IIS logs to see if there is any clue. Also
the Windows Event Viewer might offer some clues.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed =?Utf-8?B?bWdkZXY=?=
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I need some help on how to troubleshoot IIS Randomly Hanging on my
> server.
>
> Late last year we upgraded our ASP.net (2.0) application with a lot of
> new features. Now that we've rolled this new version out to many of
> our customers we're getting complaints about IIS hanging and needing
> to be restarted. Unfortunately, this hanging is random. After the
> restart of IIS the application works as expected. We are unable to
> predictably reproduce this hanging situation. But at some point,
> anywhere from an hour to a few days, the w3wp.exe will hang again and
> prevent the system from being used. I have observed this first hand,
> but as I stated above, after restarting IIS I can't reproduce the
> problem.
>
> We have seen this problem in both IIS6 (Server 2003) and IIS7 (Server
> 200.
>
> If you have any suggestions on how I can go about troubleshooting or
> resolving this issue I'd like to know. Please know that this is an
> urgent matter so if there are any options I can try that would
> minimize this problem for the short term I'd like to explore that as
> well.

This is a Classic ASP group, and you would probably do better in an IIS
group anyway. I would try microsoft.public.inetserver.iis first and see how
it goes there.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

IIS Randomly Hanging mgdev ASP .Net 12 04-13-2010 07:51 AM
NLB IIS 6.0 .NET ASP Web Application, URL Randomly Changing from Hostname to IP James M via .NET 247 ASP .Net 0 04-06-2005 07:52 PM
asp/iis hanging and failing without error message! frank ASP General 4 12-07-2004 12:59 PM
WIFI connection randomly/non randomly disconnects King Fu Wireless Networking 2 11-10-2004 07:03 AM
Re: IIS hanging in ASP.Net/Component Services Boris Partensky ASP .Net 1 01-23-2004 12:15 AM

Advertisments