Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > w3wp.exe (ASP .Net) eating memory

w3wp.exe (ASP .Net) eating memory

venom00

Hello, i'm on a VPS with Windows 2003 x64 (IIS 6.0 so) and i have a
serious problem with w3wp.exe. It starts from 60 Mb and then grows
until the whole avaiable RAM is used.

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4120/w3wpgraph.png

Here's an example image showing w3wp.exe private bytes and Gen 0 Heap
size. They seems related, but if I use ".NET CLR Memory/# Bytes in all
Heaps " it is much lower than private bytes. Can we still say that is
an ASP .Net problem?

Moreover analyzing a crash dump the heap size i obtain is smaller, 200
Mb while the crash dump was 700 mb and private bytes about 600 mb.

http://pastebin.com/m6c448c9d

Here is also a !dumpheap -stat:

http://pastebin.com/m7fd72aa

I've done a "!dumpheap -mt 000006427881aaf8" (the System.String entry)
and I've found that the bigger strings are aspx pages. I've a lot of
them on my website (thousands). Maybe w3wp.exe is caching them? How
can i disable this feature?
!gcroot on one of this strings gives the following output:

http://pastebin.com/m15545adc

Does this mean it's orphaned but not collected by the GC?

Here's a "!dumpheap -stat -type Cach":

http://pastebin.com/m2955d688

And a !do and a !gcroot of a CacheEntry:

http://pastebin.com/f38df0a24

If you need it, I can also give you the link to the whole dump. I've
been working on it for a week without results!

Thanks in advance,
Carl

Bob Barrows

venom00 wrote:
> Hello, i'm on a VPS with Windows 2003 x64 (IIS 6.0 so) and i have a
> serious problem with w3wp.exe. It starts from 60 Mb and then grows
> until the whole avaiable RAM is used.

***canned wrong-newsgroup reply************************
recommended practice) , but this is a classic (COM-based) asp newsgroup.
ASP.Net bears very little resemblance to classic ASP so, while you may be
lucky enough to find a dotnet-knowledgeable person here who can answer your
question, you can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to a
group where those dotnet-knowledgeable people hang out. I suggest
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
"NO SPAM"

eating memory lalawiet@gmail.com C++ 6 03-16-2007 03:42 PM
Program eating memory, but only on one machine? Per B. Sederberg Python 5 01-22-2007 08:14 PM
Fx 1.5.0.1 media player plug-in eating memory Faun Firefox 0 02-26-2006 04:32 PM
Nero eating up / hiding memory DVD Video 3 07-09-2005 01:54 AM
4DOM eating all my memory ewan Python 1 02-02-2004 12:27 AM

Advertisments