Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Instr function problem

Instr function problem

.Net Sports

If a filename of a file I upload has a space in it, i want to take the
space out and rename the file on the fly without the space in the
name. I'm using the instr function to see if there is a space in the
name. I can explicitly assign oldFileName and newFileName a value and
it works, but trying to fill the variables with a dynamic filename
doesnt do anything to the file in the code below, the filename still
has a space in it:
'''''''''''''''''''
filenm = request("filenm")
dim oldFileName,newFileName,space
space = instr(filenm," ")

if space > 0 then
oldFileName = filenm
newFileName = replace(filenm," ","")
Sub reNameFile()
Dim fso
fso.MoveFile server.mappath(oldFileName), server.mappath
(newFileName)
Set fso = Nothing
filenm = newFileName
End Sub
call reNameFile
end if

response.write filenm & "<br><br>"
end if

??????
NS

Dan

".Net Sports" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If a filename of a file I upload has a space in it, i want to take the
> space out and rename the file on the fly without the space in the
> name. I'm using the instr function to see if there is a space in the
> name. I can explicitly assign oldFileName and newFileName a value and
> it works, but trying to fill the variables with a dynamic filename
> doesnt do anything to the file in the code below, the filename still
> has a space in it:
> '''''''''''''''''''
> filenm = request("filenm")
> dim oldFileName,newFileName,space
> space = instr(filenm," ")
>
> if space > 0 then
> oldFileName = filenm
> newFileName = replace(filenm," ","")
> Sub reNameFile()
> Dim fso
> Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
> fso.MoveFile server.mappath(oldFileName), server.mappath
> (newFileName)
> Set fso = Nothing
> filenm = newFileName
> End Sub
> call reNameFile
> end if
>
> response.write filenm & "<br><br>"
> end if
>

> ??????
> NS

You can't put a Sub inside an If .. End If block. Also "space" is a function
name, so you can't use it as a variable name. And you appear to have too
many "end if" statements. And what happens if any of the folders the file is
in have spaces (eg. /my files/filename.jpg)? I'm assuming you won't have
this in your configuration, but it's worth considering as if this can occur
then you'll be potentially trying to put the file into a folder that doesn't
exist.

Sub reNameFile(oldFileName,newFileName)
Dim fso
fso.MoveFile server.mappath(oldFileName), server.mappath(newFileName)
Set fso = Nothing
End Sub

dim filenm, spacepos, nfilenm

filenm = request("filenm")