Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Run dos command

Run dos command

Mark Goldin

I am trying to run:
NET USE LPT1 \\serverip\printername
but it's not going. Program just stays on that line.

Bob Barrows

Mark Goldin wrote:
> I am trying to run:
> NET USE LPT1 \\serverip\printername
> but it's not going. Program just stays on that line.

In an ASP page??

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
"NO SPAM"

markgoldin

Yes.

"Bob Barrows" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mark Goldin wrote:
>> I am trying to run:
>> NET USE LPT1 \\serverip\printername
>> but it's not going. Program just stays on that line.

> In an ASP page??
>
> --
> Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
> "NO SPAM"

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "markgoldin" <markgoldin_2000
@yahoo.com> writing in news:92ACE51D-D5B4-421A-A57D-

Please don't top post. Also remove signatures. See reply below.

> "Bob Barrows" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Mark Goldin wrote:
>>> I am trying to run:
>>> NET USE LPT1 \\serverip\printername
>>> but it's not going. Program just stays on that line.

>> In an ASP page??
>>

> Yes.

Okay, I gotta ask, why are you trying to do this on the server? Maybe if
you told us your real intention we could be of more help to you.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Evertjan.

Adrienne Boswell wrote on 28 sep 2009 in

> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "markgoldin" <markgoldin_2000
> (E-Mail Removed):
>
> Please don't top post. Also remove signatures. See reply below.

>>> In an ASP page??

>> Yes.

> Okay, I gotta ask, why are you trying to do this on the server? Maybe if
> you told us your real intention we could be of more help to you.

In ASP, programmes do not "stay on a line".

They either go on or freak [= error or time-] out.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Bob Barrows

markgoldin wrote:
> Yes.
>
> "Bob Barrows" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Mark Goldin wrote:
>>> I am trying to run:
>>> NET USE LPT1 \\serverip\printername
>>> but it's not going. Program just stays on that line.

>> In an ASP page??

As Evertjian says, in ASP a program doesn't just "stay" on a line. An
error message will be raised: whether it's the error from the line of
code, or a script-timeout error, an error will be raised.

I don't understand why a printer needs to be established on the web
server. Are you trying to have something printed via your server-side
code? It's not something I've ever contemplated doing, and I'me not
really sure it is possible. I think the first thing to establish is
whether the IUSR_Machinename account has authority to run a NET USE
statement. Also, the IUSR account would require permission to access
\\serverip\printername

--
HTH,
Bob Barrows