Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Managing Page Breaks in an ASP Page

Managing Page Breaks in an ASP Page

Orion Forever

I've been looking for an answer to this question for a few months
now. We migrated a report from an access report to the web. The
report has variable text fields that can vary quite a lot in length
(from 5 lines to 40-50 lines).

The page is intended to print, and where I'm struggling to replicated
the concept of "Keep together" from the access report. In this
report, there was multiple entities describing a specific customer. I
need to keep all the lines together.

Currently what I'm doing is trying to "approximate" how many automatic
carriage returns the variable text would have. When the script
figures out where the break should be, it adds a page break within an
HR tag (using HRs to break up the segments of the report). This is
fairly inexact, and causing problems with the print (occasionally a
report will go to another page because the algorithm doesn't come up
with right spot in the page break).

I guess the question comes down to this. Has anyone ever created the
ability to keep segments of pages guaranteed to print together within
ASP?

Bob Barrows

Orion Forever wrote:

> I guess the question comes down to this. Has anyone ever created the
> ability to keep segments of pages guaranteed to print together within
> ASP?

ASP is code that runs on the server and generates html to be sent to the
client. It knows nothing of printers or page breaks or any other
client-side construct. Your question is really about html and css, so
these groups will probably get you more relevant responses:

http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?sel=33584039

--
HTH,
Bob Barrows

Orion Forever

On May 1, 10:02*am, "Bob Barrows" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Orion Forever wrote:
>
> > I guess the question comes down to this. *Has anyone ever created the
> > ability to keep segments of pages guaranteed to print together within
> > ASP?

> ASP is code that runs on the server and generates html to be sent to the
> client. It knows nothing of printers or page breaks or any other
> client-side construct. Your question is really about html and css, so
> these groups will probably get you more relevant responses:

Yeah, the only thing I'm doing in js is the actual page break.

The algorithm is entirely done in asp, but I guess I could try css as
an alternative.