Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Re: Earthlink and Mozilla newsgroups

Re: Earthlink and Mozilla newsgroups

Bryan Ashley

I also have this problem and I'm using Thunderbird .1 (Build date
7-23-03) I have not found a solution yet, although as you keep entering
it it does seem to reduce in frequency. I'm not using Earthlink's news
servers at all. I've got Wide Open West as my news server. I think its
got to do with the program, not the provider.

murple wrote:

> Recently I've been having problems with Mozilla and newsgroups.
> I keep having to re-enter my name and password. I can be browing
> newsgroups and in the middle of downloading a message and all of
> a sudden the name and password boxes appear. I can have downloaded
> message headers and viewed the text of 38 messages and out of
> nowhere it decides I need to re-enter my password info.
>
> I'm suspicious that Earthlink changed something in their configurations.
> Recently they changed my news server from news.mindspring.com to
> news.east.earthlink.net but even before that I was having this
> problem with the name and password windows appearing in the
> middle of my browsing.
>
> I've tried updating from Mozilla 1.0.2 to Mozilla 1.4, but that
> doesn't seem to have solved the problem. It's an ongoing problem.
> I've had it for weeks now. But I didn't have it back when I used
> Mozilla 1.0.1 and when I first updated to Mozilla 1.0.2 I didn't
> have it then. I think Earthlink is to blame, though they won't
> admit it.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem and, more important, is there
> a way to solve it. It's sort of a nuisance to have to enter my
> password info 3 separate times while I'm browsing newsgroups.

murple

Bryan Ashley wrote:

> I also have this problem and I'm using Thunderbird .1 (Build date
> 7-23-03) I have not found a solution yet, although as you keep entering
> it it does seem to reduce in frequency. I'm not using Earthlink's news
> servers at all. I've got Wide Open West as my news server. I think its
> got to do with the program, not the provider.

Thanks for your response. It's not quite as bad today as it was
yesterday. So maybe it will get better with time. I still think
it's something to do with what Earthlink is doing. Maybe Wide
Open West is doing it too though.