Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > How can I get the dump for troubleshooting my asp.net code?

How can I get the dump for troubleshooting my asp.net code?

Wei Lu

I publish a web project on my IIS Server. But sometime, it hangs. Everytime,
I recycled the Application Pool, it works again. And I could not find
anything in the eventlog. Could anyone tell me how to get the memory dump
for troubleshooting? Or any solutions?

Wei Lu

Bob Barrows

Wei Lu wrote:
> I publish a web project on my IIS Server. But sometime, it hangs.
> Everytime, I recycled the Application Pool, it works again. And I
> could not find anything in the eventlog. Could anyone tell me how to
> get the memory dump for troubleshooting? Or any solutions?
>

> Wei Lu

recommended practice) , but this is a classic (COM-based) asp newsgroup.
ASP.Net bears very little resemblance to classic ASP so, while you may be
lucky enough to find a dotnet-knowledgeable person here who can answer your
question, you can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to a
group where those dotnet-knowledgeable people hang out. I suggest

Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
"NO SPAM"

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Wei,

My name is Allen Chen. It's my pleasure to work with you on this issue.

To troubleshoot IIS hang issue you can use Debug Diagnostics 1.1:

http://www.iis.net/downloads/default...=34&g=6&i=1286

From its documentation you can learn how to Troubleshooting Hangs with
DebugDiag. You can set up a Hang Rule to monitor the w3wp process and
create a hang dump by reproducing the hang.

After you get the dump you can use the analysis tool of the DebugDiag to
analyse the dump. Please try following steps to do so:

1. Run DebugDiag. Click "Advanced Analysis" tab.
2. Click "Add Data Files" at the bottom to add the dump file.
3. Double click "Crash/Hang Analyzers" category.
4. View the analysis report. It can give you clues as to what might be the
cause of the hang.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subs.../aa948874.aspx

Steven Cheng

Hi Wei,

For general hang troubleshooting, if you're sure the certain process get
hang, you can use ADPLUS for hang dump capture:

#How to use ADPlus to troubleshoot "hangs" and "crashes"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286350

If the web application is ASP.NET, here are some useful information for
ASP.NET hang troubleshooting or windbg based debugging:

#ASP.NET Tips: What to gather to troubleshoot ?part 1 ?High CPU or Hang
http://blogs.msdn.com/tom/archive/20...-to-gather-to-
troubleshoot-part-1-high-cpu.aspx

#Troubleshooting ASP.NET using WinDbg and the SOS extension
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892277

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(E-Mail Removed).

--------------------
>From: "Wei Lu" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: How can I get the dump for troubleshooting my asp.net code?
>Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 09:42:51 +0800

>Wei Lu

Evertjan.

"Steven Cheng" wrote on 13 feb 2009 in

---> RE: How can I get the dump for troubleshooting my asp.net code?

> Hi Wei,
>
> For general hang troubleshooting, if you're sure the certain process
> get hang, you can use ADPLUS for hang dump capture:
>
>#How to use ADPlus to troubleshoot "hangs" and "crashes"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286350
>
> If the web application is ASP.NET, here are some useful information
> for ASP.NET hang troubleshooting or windbg based debugging:

[.............]
> Sincerely,
>
> Steven Cheng
>
> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Doubtlesssly sincere, Steven, but the wrong answer for this NG.

The answer should be:

This is a classic asp group.

Dotnet questions should be asked in [par example]
<microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet>

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Steven Cheng

Hi Evertjan,

Thanks for your remind

Yes, I should have mentioned that first and
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet is the best one for ASP.NET
managed web application issues.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(E-Mail Removed).

s.
--------------------
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general
>Subject: RE: How can I get the dump for troubleshooting my asp.net code?
>From: "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)>

>"Steven Cheng" wrote on 13 feb 2009 in
>microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
>
>---> RE: How can I get the dump for troubleshooting my asp.net code?
>
>> Hi Wei,
>>
>> For general hang troubleshooting, if you're sure the certain process
>> get hang, you can use ADPLUS for hang dump capture:
>>
>>#How to use ADPlus to troubleshoot "hangs" and "crashes"
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286350
>>
>> If the web application is ASP.NET, here are some useful information
>> for ASP.NET hang troubleshooting or windbg based debugging:

>[.............]
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Steven Cheng
>>
>> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

>Doubtlesssly sincere, Steven, but the wrong answer for this NG.
>
>The answer should be:
>
>This is a classic asp group.
>
>Dotnet questions should be asked in [par example]
><microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet>
>
>--
>Evertjan.
>The Netherlands.
>(Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)

Wei Lu

Thanks for your answer, Steven.

I will ask the question at the aspnet newsgroup next time.

Wei Lu

""Steven Cheng"" <(E-Mail Removed)> дϢ
news:(E-Mail Removed)...