Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > New install of VB6 doesn't recognize IIS

Reply
Thread Tools

New install of VB6 doesn't recognize IIS

 
 
AlBruAn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2008
There is a possibility I'll begin working on a new contract within the next
few weeks involving maintenance and enhancements to existing VB6/ASP
applications. For the last six years, I've been using VB.Net and C#
exclusively, so I want to try removing the rust from my VB6 skills. Anyway...

My laptop has Vista Ultimate installed on it. I can't get the development
environment for VB6 to install on it, so I set up a virtual machine using
Virtual PC 2007. I installed Windows XP Pro and the IIS component on the
virtual machine and was able to install VB6 without any problem. I can
create any kind of application BUT an IIS application. When I attempt to do
so, I get an error message back stating, "Internet Information Server or Peer
Web Services 3.0 or later must be installed to run WebClasses."

What am I missing? What should I be looking for? What must I do to get
this working correctly? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

--
Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bob Barrows
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2008
AlBruAn wrote:
> There is a possibility I'll begin working on a new contract within
> the next few weeks involving maintenance and enhancements to existing
> VB6/ASP applications.


Huh? "VB6/ASP"? ASP supports the use of scripting languages like vbscript
and jscript ... not VB ...

> For the last six years, I've been using VB.Net
> and C# exclusively, so I want to try removing the rust from my VB6
> skills. Anyway...
>
> My laptop has Vista Ultimate installed on it. I can't get the
> development environment for VB6 to install on it, so I set up a
> virtual machine using Virtual PC 2007. I installed Windows XP Pro
> and the IIS component on the virtual machine and was able to install
> VB6 without any problem. I can create any kind of application BUT an
> IIS application. When I attempt to do so, I get an error message
> back stating, "Internet Information Server or Peer Web Services 3.0
> or later must be installed to run WebClasses."


Oh! Web classes, I forgot about those!!! Damn, you had to remind me!

>
> What am I missing? What should I be looking for? What must I do to
> get
> this working correctly? Thanks in advance for any and all help.


You're missing that Web Classes were a buggy failure that were quickly
abandoned. It is very unlikely that you will find support for their
development and use. I wish I could help, but I never created that type of
application in VB6.

Maybe you need to install NT4 on a virtual server to get it to work ...

On the off chance, you might try posting in one of the classic vb groups
(the ones that don't have "dotnet" in their names.

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
"NO SPAM"


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
AlBruAn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2008
Hmmm, I don't have setup disks for NT4, but I do have Windows 2000 in my MSDN
subscription. Which of the three versions should I use: Professional, Server
or Advanced Server?

--
Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.


"Bob Barrows" wrote:

> AlBruAn wrote:
> > There is a possibility I'll begin working on a new contract within
> > the next few weeks involving maintenance and enhancements to existing
> > VB6/ASP applications.

>
> Huh? "VB6/ASP"? ASP supports the use of scripting languages like vbscript
> and jscript ... not VB ...
>
> > For the last six years, I've been using VB.Net
> > and C# exclusively, so I want to try removing the rust from my VB6
> > skills. Anyway...
> >
> > My laptop has Vista Ultimate installed on it. I can't get the
> > development environment for VB6 to install on it, so I set up a
> > virtual machine using Virtual PC 2007. I installed Windows XP Pro
> > and the IIS component on the virtual machine and was able to install
> > VB6 without any problem. I can create any kind of application BUT an
> > IIS application. When I attempt to do so, I get an error message
> > back stating, "Internet Information Server or Peer Web Services 3.0
> > or later must be installed to run WebClasses."

>
> Oh! Web classes, I forgot about those!!! Damn, you had to remind me!
>
> >
> > What am I missing? What should I be looking for? What must I do to
> > get
> > this working correctly? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

>
> You're missing that Web Classes were a buggy failure that were quickly
> abandoned. It is very unlikely that you will find support for their
> development and use. I wish I could help, but I never created that type of
> application in VB6.
>
> Maybe you need to install NT4 on a virtual server to get it to work ...
>
> On the off chance, you might try posting in one of the classic vb groups
> (the ones that don't have "dotnet" in their names.
>
> --
> Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
> Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
> don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
> "NO SPAM"
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Anthony Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2008
"AlBruAn" <(E-Mail Removed).(donotspam)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hmmm, I don't have setup disks for NT4, but I do have Windows 2000 in my
> MSDN
> subscription. Which of the three versions should I use: Professional,
> Server
> or Advanced Server?
>


Before you go off an do that, do you have any evidence that would indicate
that WebClasses are in use. I've used VB6 with ASP for years but never used
web classes. If you have no specific evidence they're in use it highly
likely that they aren't.


--
Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IIS and VB6 Giles ASP General 3 01-12-2008 03:28 PM
IIS won't recognize Default.aspx David Veeneman ASP .Net 9 01-17-2006 11:03 PM
VB6 Activex .DLL for IIS Al ASP General 4 06-03-2005 12:39 PM
IIS won't recognize if an ASP page has been changed - solution Michael G. Schneider ASP General 1 12-09-2003 02:38 PM
IIS won't recognize if an ASP page has been changed Michael G. Schneider ASP General 6 11-19-2003 07:03 PM



Advertisments