Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > How to share code between website and its subfolders?

How to share code between website and its subfolders?

SM

This is regarding ASP.NET 2.0.
I need the same code to be executable at the root of a website and in
subfolders of the website. I know of two possibilities:
[1] put the code in a DLL and put the DLL in the 'Bin' subfolders of the
root and the subfolders.
[2] put the source code directly in the 'App_Code' folders of the root and
the subfolders.

Is there any way to have code just in one folder and invokable from any
other subfolder of a website, so that code is shared?

A related question: when I compile a DLL project in a website solution in
VStudio 2005, what is the equivalent of adding a reference to a DLL (project
or file) in VStudio in the hosting website? Putting it another way, if I
manually deploy a website at a production host, how do I specify the location
of a DLL in client code? I put a DLL in the 'Bin' folder, and placed other
client code in the 'App_Code' folder. How do I specify to the code in the
'App_Code' folder the location of the DLL?

Thanks in advance for answers.

Bob Barrows

SM wrote:
> This is regarding ASP.NET 2.0.

recommended practice), but this is a classic (COM-based) asp newsgroup.
ASP.Net is a different technology from classic ASP. While you may be
lucky enough to find a dotnet-savvy person here who can answer your
question, you can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to
a newsgroup where the dotnet-savvy people hang out. I suggest

to help you.

--
HTH,
Bob Barrows